Author Topic: 24 hr. Ice fishing  (Read 1044 times)

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
24 hr. Ice fishing
« on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:38 PM »
Is it legal to ice fish 24 hrs. at Cascade or any lake in Idaho?
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 24 hr. Ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I believe so, never read anything saying you can't camp on the ice.  I don't even know if Idaho has a "permanent shanty" labeling requirement.  A lot of states you need to label your shanty if leaving on the ice for over 24 hours.  If you're going to be in it the whole time then I doubt there would be a problem not labeling it anyway.

I've thought about doing it at cascade in my popup and drill some holes in the bottom, but this year isn't looking good for that plan :(

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Yes, it is legal.  I've done it several times.  Must label your shelter if you leave it over night, though.

Offline TightLine21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2015, 11:28 PM »
I was contemplating a night on Cascade this year, after there is more ice, but I wasn't sure about parking.  Does anyone know if you can leave a rig parked over night at Poison Creek or Sugarloaf?

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Not sure about the legality of it, but I know of people who've done it.

For what it's worth, my experience with fishing at night makes it not worth the effort.  I stay the night on the ice to sleep now.  I enjoy it and it's a lot cheaper than a hotel.  In all my times of night fishing on the ice I think I've caught 2 or 3 fish at the most.

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 10:03 AM »
The only time that I have had a lot of luck night fishing is in places that have catfish and trout. I catch trout during the day and target cats at night. I have never caught a trout much after sundown.

Squarehog

« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:26 PM »
I have done quite a bit of night fishing. Allthough it is usually slow to none. I have caught bullhead and perch very sparingly at cascade.  I have encountered hot bites twice on other waters, One night i jigged a med large yellow clack a rap for a long time and eventually my sonar clouded up with small baitfish or something.  Then a big fish showed and struck hard, i missed,  kept jigging. Came back struck again and i hooked up.   To my surprise, a big sucker fish.  The lure wouldn't even fit in its mouth. I caught 3 or 4 more around 5 or 6 lbs.  I have a pic somewhere..  I also have hit a hot small trout bite from 6pm til midnight one night.  Staying sleeping on the ice is awesome with the right gear.  I personally like atleast 6" good ice to campout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.