Author Topic: Blue lake  (Read 2979 times)

Offline big44

• IceShanty Rookie
Blue lake
« on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:56 PM »
8-9 inches ice, snow covered, fishing fair, 20 vehicles

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blue lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2015, 05:13 PM »
Any crappie?

Offline big44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Just perch, a few came across the screen

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:21 PM »
So what is the truth to people using minnows on blue I didn't think this was Allowed

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:48 PM »
Yes, what is the skinny on using minnows on Blue?  I was hoping that maybe Daryl B. could help us out.  I have heard the the state says ok but the feds say no.....so what is with that?  Who has the final say so?  Thanks.  Happy trails!  D Hutt

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Kind of like the whole marijuana deal. Feds say no and some states say yes. Pretty much  a grey area

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:52 PM »
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrrrrrrrrrrrrr...g., but I believe Blue is a NGPC managed lake and NOT a Fed Refuge (Crescent) lake.  Similar to Big Alkali, next to the Fed Valentine Refuge lakes.

NO minnows on Fed Managed lakes.  Minnows allowed at Big Alkali but NOT on Clear, Dewey, Duck...

Of course, some NGPC managed lakes (especially recently renovated lakes) have no live baitfish rules on them.

Someone out there call the NGPC Alliance office for the real story!

The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:13 AM »
The problem is a small portion of blue lake falls on the crescent lake NWR. So does the restriction apply to only that part of the lake? Can you guarantee your minnows wont swim onto the refuge if they get off the hook? Or does it apply to the whole water body? I have called several people with game and parks and have not recieved a firm answer from any of them. One game warden says no foul, one issues a citation. The feds seem to think it applies to the lake too from what I have heard.  But then if that is the case, why is fishing allowed? There are several lakes on the refuge that are stocked with fish, but only a few are open to fishing. So technically blue is not open to fishing within the refuge. But then international water use laws come into play too. If you can get access to the water on public land,  theoreticaly you should be able to access the water surface as long as you dont touch the ground underneath. It is all one big mess that needs to be straightened out. Nobody knows whats going on, and people are being cited because of it.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:23 AM »
The way I read the regs, It says "no live minnows on the refuge".  The access road is not on the refuge nor do you enter the refuge at any time. Therefore minnows are legal IMO.  I had a bucketfull the other day and I will have another bucketfull my next trip- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline dj41

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Has anyone been ticketed by the Feds on Blue?

Offline swampdonkeyice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Blue winter killed, dont waste your time

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:02 AM »
I visited with Joe from Alliance G&P this morning. Minnows ARE ALLOWED on Blue Lake. Mostly due red tape involved between state and federal reg changes. There is a possibility of a no bait fish regulation change in the future, but not at this time.

Joe also wanted me to add road conditions are not good getting into Blue. High winds continue to drift snow into tracks. 4wd is a must. Deviating off trail will offend land owner and lake closure will ensue.

dc   

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:59 AM »
I visited with Joe from Alliance G&P this morning. Minnows ARE ALLOWED on Blue Lake. Mostly due red tape involved between state and federal reg changes. There is a possibility of a no bait fish regulation change in the future, but not at this time.

Joe also wanted me to add road conditions are not good getting into Blue. High winds continue to drift snow into tracks. 4wd is a must. Deviating off trail will offend land owner and lake closure will ensue.

dc   

Thank you, Sandbilly!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline Gip19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2015, 11:31 AM »
There sure have been alot of people there if it has winter killed they all must be wasteing there time as well no day on the lake is a waste even if it is a bad day
i am hopeing Daryl B could chime in on this as well

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Don't know if it winter killed, can't imagine it did. But it has been almost killed by over fishing it. Just my two cents.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:08 AM »
just checked my new copy of the 2015 regs nothing about bait restrictions

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:20 AM »
One thing about these grey areas,  the Judge presiding over the court where the person was given the citation will decide the outcome of the verdict, not the NGP or the NPS.  IMO, a truely discerning warden will probably not want  to write a citation concerning grey areas of the law, because they may put themselves in a position of becoming embarrassed in front of the Judge.  The courts usually frown on having their time wasted....  ;)

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:12 AM »
Sandbilly's report makes the answer black and white.

Nothing gray on Blue Lake and use of minnows.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:34 AM »
Sandbilly's report makes the answer black and white.

Nothing gray on Blue Lake and use of minnows.

^^X2^^^
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline T.R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:59 PM »
That is what the term grey area means. Nothing says you can or cant but there is a regulation on the refuge against minnows. Where part of the lake is on the refuge, nobody knew how to interpret the law, including the game and parks until now. I have talked to several people in the game and fish and the usfws  and none gave me a firm answer. If you received that answer out of alliance I would get it in writing and go with it.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2015, 11:38 AM »
That is what the term grey area means. Nothing says you can or cant but there is a regulation on the refuge against minnows. Where part of the lake is on the refuge, nobody knew how to interpret the law, including the game and parks until now. I have talked to several people in the game and fish and the usfws  and none gave me a firm answer. If you received that answer out of alliance I would get it in writing and go with it.

That is exactly what "Sandbilly" is telling you.  Go with it.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.