The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Saginaw River  (Read 18703 times)

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saginaw River
« Reply #90 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:37 PM »
If I was betting your money, I'd say we should be on it til close on the 15th.  I wouldnt bet a dime of my own money on future predictions when it comes to that river and potentially seeing rain in the beginning of March.   One big deluge can cripple that ice in no time.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Feb 17, 2015, 09:15 PM »
dean, my buddy fell into the main bar and broke it for good! it's an old flip shanty cabin style similar to a dx 4000. but it's all connected w/ push button poles.

his 320 lb. butt finally took it from bent to broke! bought it 8 years ago used for 100 bucks. we got our use out of it.  ;D ;D
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 18, 2015, 01:20 PM »
dean, my buddy fell into the main bar and broke it for good! it's an old flip shanty cabin style similar to a dx 4000. but it's all connected w/ push button poles.

his 320 lb. butt finally took it from bent to broke! bought it 8 years ago used for 100 bucks. we got our use out of it.  ;D ;D

320lbs has a way of taking out those aluminum poles!  Sounds like a pretty easy repair if it was just the one pole though. I'm on my 4th year with my 200 dollar eskimo. I hope it follow the example of that one and is good for another 12 years!  8 years for 100 bucks is one hell of a bargain.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 18, 2015, 05:11 PM »
no thawing temps for at least 3 more weeks long term forcast i seen today

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:00 PM »
accuweather shows some 40's in early march then 50's in late march, I know the season closes on march 15 just hope to make down once before that

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:02 PM »
I am planning on either a weekend trip, or two more single day trips.  Probably two weekends from now, since I am heading up to Traverse city to fish the bay.
Flag up!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:43 PM »
accuweather shows some 40's in early march then 50's in late march, I know the season closes on march 15 just hope to make down once before that

With accuweather long term accuracy, it is as likely to be -10 or 65 and sunny as it is mid 40s by then it seems. Those 40 degree days are going to make for some seriously comfortable fishing if they happen the last few days of the season.  Most places are 8-12 inches of clear with another 3 of compressed snow/white ice on the river.  Unless we get a ton of rain or something crazy, I think we will be on the ice until the 15th.   We might be walking through a slurpee to fish.. but I think the ice will hold.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 19, 2015, 06:19 PM »
i'm thinking i'll be out there till the 15 th. got a few spots w/ very thick ice to check out when it warms up. I just hope it does not melt fast, then the river is a muddy b***h w/ fast current.

I did that last year at the end, not fun w/ a huge run off!
I toad a soo!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I'll be out there for the evening bite sat. fishing w/ my dad so it should be fun! gonna fish deep and small!!!  ;) ;)
I toad a soo!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:16 PM »
man, what a tough bite today. everyone around got no keepers. fished in the channel and fished small. biggest eye I saw caught was about 12 inches. got to hang out w/ my dad so it was a good day.
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:40 PM »
man, what a tough bite today. everyone around got no keepers. fished in the channel and fished small. biggest eye I saw caught was about 12 inches. got to hang out w/ my dad so it was a good day.

Thats not what I wanted to hear! Planning on fishing tomorrow afternoon myself. Either Indy or mouth.. depending how ambitious I feel

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:26 PM »
March 7th is not coming quick enough. Next trip. Hope to put some eaters on some ice.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:31 PM »
March i plan on hotting the river as well. Good luck to you

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:32 PM »
March 7 i meant

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #104 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:34 PM »
page 4  picture was the time on the river.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:40 PM »
MIBUCKPOLE posted pictures of four guys on the River, they limited out...obviously we have no idea where they were, but I am going to take a stab and say the bigger fish may be starting to move into the river again.  So from the bay to the Z may be good?
Flag up!

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 23, 2015, 08:43 PM »
I saw that post as well

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:36 PM »
i'll be out late week trying to change my luck? the one thing I love most about fishing the river is the diversity of fishermen and women. 2 guys can come out w/ 4000 bucks worth of gear and clothes, and 20 feet away a guy sitting on a bucket wearing his old deer hunting clothes will out fish everyone around! I love that! then at the end of the day everyone talks and shares their fishing tips.  @)
I toad a soo!

Offline SRJS28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:42 PM »
I just found out i might be able to get out thurs or fri.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 23, 2015, 10:47 PM »
i'll be out late week trying to change my luck? the one thing I love most about fishing the river is the diversity of fishermen and women. 2 guys can come out w/ 4000 bucks worth of gear and clothes, and 20 feet away a guy sitting on a bucket wearing his old deer hunting clothes will out fish everyone around! I love that! then at the end of the day everyone talks and shares their fishing tips.  @)

Damn right.. all the toys help, but they arent needed on the river. I am the guy who will occasionally take a portable dvd player out in the shanty with me though!  If I ever find a way to easily move a lay z boy out, I'd be set! Theres a little old couple, maybe in their late 60's, early 70's. Every time I see them out, theyre both bucket sitting, jigging 2 poles.  They will sit there for 3-4 hours, jigging away. That's the purest embodiment of the "river rat" mentality I have ever seen.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Gotta love river rat's! There is no age limit There is no price limit, Don't need fancy stuff! Just fish and enjoy the SAG- NASTY! If your lucky or there on the right day... ya bring home a mess of walleyes!
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 23, 2015, 11:10 PM »
Gotta love river rat's! There is no age limit There is no price limit, Don't need fancy stuff! Just fish and enjoy the SAG- NASTY! If your lucky or there on the right day... ya bring home a mess of walleyes!

yup, I started as an 8yo kid walking down to the river with a heavy action rod and a few 1/2oz jigheads. My buddies dad owned the bait store in the triangle shaped building on Michigan and Gratiot. We would get free minnows and walk down behind that McDonalds to his dads permanent... back in the times when you could put a perm out there and not have it destroyed.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:43 PM »
we used to get bait at that store for white bass fishing in the late spring!
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Woody still owns that building. It is a massive American Flag mural now done by a well known local artist.  I am actually taking Woody and his grand kids ice fishing sometime soon.

Here's what the old building looks like these days

Offline backinmich

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Dude knows how to paint a mural...

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:18 PM »
that is awesome! thanks for posting that pic. I spent a lot of weekends in that place when I was a kid / teenager!
I toad a soo!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 25, 2015, 10:29 PM »
I actually had a decent few hours fishing this afternoon! caught 5 eye's and 2 keepers 16 inchers. I need to buy a new blade for the auger, my elbows r killing me!!
I toad a soo!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:27 AM »
Damn, thats a good ratio!  Were you east or west of Z Bridge?
Flag up!

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:56 AM »

Damn of of towners ;)

north or south ;D

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Feb 26, 2015, 06:19 PM »

fished in Saginaw. spur of the moment trip, my buddy called and asked if I wanted to go for the last few hours. glad I did! u out of towner  ;D
I toad a soo!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.