The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Saginaw River  (Read 18704 times)

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saginaw River
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Any new ice reports. Will be there with 4guys from iceshanty next weekend feb.7th Any one know what time the bait shop opens. Thanks.

I fished the River on Friday. At least 8 inches if not more where I was. Caught several 12 inchers and then hooked and iced an 18 in. Keeper. Fire tiger jigging rapala tipped with minnow head

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2015, 03:08 PM »
Thanks for the report. How many dozen's minnows do i need to last from first light to dark?
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:27 PM »
For one person 2 dozen should be plenty

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 01, 2015, 12:43 AM »
Thanks for the report. How many dozen's minnows do i need to last from first light to dark?

Counts are pretty good on minnows up here as long as you dont buy them at Gander. Saginaw Marina on Lee st. and King party store on Madison in Bay City are both generous on their scoop. 2 scoops should get ya through an entire day from either place.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:50 PM »
How much snow is sitting on the river? Thanks

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2015, 03:48 AM »
How much snow is sitting on the river? Thanks

We got 7.5 inches here in saginaw. It was anywhere from 10 inches to bare due to wind where I fished yesterday morning.  Mostly it is 4-6inches..  Wind has it packed down decently, so wasnt too hard pulling the sled out.  That wind was pretty brutal though! Burned a good amount of propane.

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Is there good safe ice on the river? Any suggestions on best area or safest area to get on?

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Is there good safe ice on the river? Any suggestions on best area or safest area to get on?

Most of the river is 8-12'', and every access has very well worn trails out onto the ice.  Just be careful if your new to it or are going where you can tell no one had been. There are drains and current swirls that keep some areas thinner. 

Was a pretty slow morning at pickle. Most I talked to didnt get a bite. I caught 4 fish, missed 2 more. 2 of them hit like a freight train and got me excited, only to be a catfish... managed one keeper at 16.5 and another that was just a 1/4 inch short of 15.

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:34 AM »
Thanks for the report, Dean. I have been  ice fishing the river the last 5 years. I am looking to take my wife out for a fishing trip. Looking for easy access because she can not walk long distances. I usually fish hog alley or near "z" bridge. Reports from my buddies say they have been catching alot of dinks with a few keepers. The big ones should b coming in soon? They spawn in the river right?

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:57 AM »
Thanks for the report, Dean. I have been  ice fishing the river the last 5 years. I am looking to take my wife out for a fishing trip. Looking for easy access because she can not walk long distances. I usually fish hog alley or near "z" bridge. Reports from my buddies say they have been catching alot of dinks with a few keepers. The big ones should b coming in soon? They spawn in the river right?

Yup, they spawn mostly in the shallow tributaries. Fishing always gets better until season closes. More and more fish work their way into the system. There are keepers mixed in through the entire river right now, but a lot of shorts to sort through.  I have been having a bit better luck with size north of hog alley so far this year. 

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Yesterdays catch on the saginaw river. Two locations 9 keepers lots of shorts smallest was 15and largest was 21 inches. Had a great time with Readytofish dbg and jeard. Not bad for first time on the river.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:15 AM »

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:54 AM »
That's a nice haul congrats

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:08 AM »
Great job!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:15 AM »
congrats. Sorry i got back with Duane too late to meet up with you guys. Seen Mike Avery post your pic up on FB.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:02 PM »
I think I'm going to make it a couple times next winter.

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #76 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Yesterdays catch on the saginaw river. Two locations 9 keepers lots of shorts smallest was 15and largest was 21 inches. Had a great time with Readytofish dbg and jeard. Not bad for first time on the river.
DGB...lol.
Thanks for the hot jig Casey.

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:55 PM »
What colors gentlemen?  And on round headed jigs or on raps? I'll be back up next sunday/monday with the big holiday  :P
Flag up!

Offline fish hunter2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Nice pics, guys! Need to get over there soon.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:32 PM »
nice catch!
I toad a soo!

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:24 PM »
When is walleye season over on the river?

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:57 PM »
You can download the regulations from the DNR's website.

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:43 PM »
When is walleye season over on the river?

March 15 for river

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Feb 14, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Thanks Dean. I believe I spoke with you last year before I made the trip. Very helpful and considerate person.

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Feb 14, 2015, 10:16 PM »
had a buddy that fished indy today, broke his shanty! again!!! no keepers.
I toad a soo!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 15, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Thanks Dean. I believe I spoke with you last year before I made the trip. Very helpful and considerate person.

Hey thanks!  I try to fill people in on the basics. I know fishing a river is a bit different than what a lot of people are used to. There is plenty of walleye to go around. So many in the system, the DNR is considering lowering the legal size to give the perch a fighting chance to spawn.

Red, How'd he break his shanty??  He forget to anchor it right and let it get blown down river like a giant wind sock?

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 15, 2015, 02:21 PM »
I hope the wind dies down tonight/slash tomorrow morning...heading out at about 6:30 west of the Z bridge.  I'm going to experiment with small gulp shads on round head jigs.

Got a bag full of gills and red ears today in a new spot near oakland county so I am excited for bigger fish tomorrow!
Flag up!

Offline zmantc54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Feb 16, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Bite was very slow today west of the Z bridge, (island). Unfortunately I didn't get there till 7am, left at noon. Caught about 15 shorts and a 16", which hammered my Swedish pimple.  However I experimented with a gulp shad and caught a PIKE???!

I also managed to drop my fav jiggin rap down my 6" hole. This year that makes a depth finder weight, a flashlight and now a 7$ rap.  :-\
Flag up!

Offline Dean84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 16, 2015, 02:28 PM »
Bite was very slow today west of the Z bridge, (island). Unfortunately I didn't get there till 7am, left at noon. Caught about 15 shorts and a 16", which hammered my Swedish pimple.  However I experimented with a gulp shad and caught a PIKE???!

I also managed to drop my fav jiggin rap down my 6" hole. This year that makes a depth finder weight, a flashlight and now a 7$ rap.  :-\

One is better than none! Sounds like a fun morning for getting there a little late.  I put my best LED flashlight in that river too this winter. First thing in about 5 years I have dropped down the ice hole. Lets hope it will be another 5!  I have a buddy that only comes out a couple times each winter. First time out this year, he decided to donate a smart phone to the river mouth. Dropped it in around noon.. and it still uploaded to his Icloud at 8pm that night!

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:17 PM »
What are your predictions on how long safe ice be on the river based upon forecasts?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.