Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Any Dubuquers Out There?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any Dubuquers Out There?
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Happy New Years!  I'm pretty new to this site and just wanted to drop a line and see how many hard water fishermen are in or around DBQ.  This will be my first year fishing up here, as a spent a few years ice fishing up in ND and MN.  I dont have the first clue as to what the hell Im doing on the river, or the backwaters.  I hear Mud Lake a lot, but haven't ventured out there yet.  Any advice or other places to fish around here?  I'm not looking to be an Ice Pirate and steal your holes or clear out your honey hole.  I've been looking around for lakes around DBQ, and it looks like slim pickins!  Id like to take a small trip to Yellowstone Lake in WI soon if I can find some decent reports of fish in there.  Thanks!  Hope to see y'all out soon!
FTWGA

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Any Dubuquers Out There?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:05 PM »
Boat marinas are a great place to fish. O'learys on the Illinois side by the dubuque damn is a excellent place to catch fish. Mud lake marina or also by mud lake is Zolicoffers(about a 1 1/2-2 mile walk) are great places. If you visit the bait shack on kerper in dubuque the guys there will point you in a good direction. Good luck!!

Offline Mbrums5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2015, 02:48 PM »
I'm going to try mud tomorrow if ice is good.  Anyone been out there recently?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Curious as well...heading up that way tomorrow, might go a little further north too

Catchin' Fish

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2015, 10:01 PM »
I'm going there either sat or sunday depending on snow conditions. Id love to get my snowmobile out so i don't have to walk to zollicoffers haha.  Come on snow!!!!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2015, 08:13 PM »
Fished Schmidtt Harbor today...one in our group of 4 lost a decent eye at the ice. Heard the walleyes have been pretty decent in there. We headed up to Bertom and caught about a dozen dink gills, a 9" crappie and decent put back bass between the 4 of us. Lots of people out on that ice. The Bait Shack was an excellent place to stop, grab bait, and get some good local info! This was our first time up north to ice fish and we all had a great day even if the fishing was slow.

Maybe next time we'll stop by Oleary's

Catchin' Fish

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:12 PM »
How thick was the ice?  I got my Elite 5 in the mail today and still have a new auger in the box!  I'm itching to get out. 
FTWGA

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:21 PM »
How thick was the ice?  I got my Elite 5 in the mail today and still have a new auger in the box!  I'm itching to get out.

6"-9"

Offline HereCrappieCrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig.... And jig sum more.... Who farted?
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2015, 04:46 AM »
The water has dropped in the last few days, bring your cleats,  so you can get off the ice.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2015, 06:01 PM »
Fished mud lake marina today. Ice is soooo slippery!! Lots of people out today, but nothing but tiny fish. Buddy caught a 9" crappie right away in the morning then it was nothing but 3" blue gill the rest of the day. Ice is between 7-10" in the harbor, not sure about zollicoffers yet.

I wanna take my sled tomorrow but didn't see any atv's out there yet. It's gonna be cold tomorrow and I don't wanna drag my flip over that far :(

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:57 AM »
Looks like you'll be getting your snow!  4-7" for Monday evening?   I don't mind a little to walk around on without the need for cleats, but I was kind of enjoying not having to shovel the drive and the fight to keep salt off the truck!  I may try and venture out Wed or Thursday, although Wed looks to be COLD!!
FTWGA

Offline osyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Heritage pond.  Fish the southeast corner near the drain.  Usually dont have to get further than 30 ft from the bank.  Anything pink with a waxworm.  Bring two poles and put them 3 ft apart.  Jig one and youll catch a limit of trout on the one sitting still.  Good luck.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:38 PM »
Any of you guys ever fish Bergfield Ponds out by Medline?  I live off of Seippel so it's only a 2 min drive.  I threw some cranks in there this summer and caught a few smaller bass. Anything else in there besides bullhead?
FTWGA

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I've caught bluegill there before. They aren't huge though, and that was during the summer.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2015, 03:49 PM »
How's the ice and the bite?  Hard to get out on weekends for me because of work.  Plan on hitting Schmitt and O'learys Wed and or Thursday.

I've never been out to Mud Lake, or anywhere around here for that matter.  Are you guys fishing the marina or the backwaters there?
FTWGA

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:36 PM »
There should be plenty on Schmitt's by now....there was an easy 6" of ice when I was there on the 2nd

Harbor at Mud Lake or head to Zoellecoffers is what I was told

Catchin' Fish

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:24 PM »
Looking for recommendations on walleye lures? Was thinking about trying for them, never caught one before but I have havnt targeted them before either.

Also, o'learys is producing northern pike, and not sure about zollies. Been a couple weeks since I ventured there

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Looking for recommendations on walleye lures? Was thinking about trying for them, never caught one before but I have havnt targeted them before either.

Also, o'learys is producing northern pike, and not sure about zollies. Been a couple weeks since I ventured there

I've always had awesome results with buck shot rattles tipped with either minnow or minnow head. 
FTWGA

Offline Ilovelamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:00 PM »
x2 on the buckshot rattle spoon.  Also try a kastmaster or a Swedish pimple.  Sometimes just a plain red hook and minnow.

I have heard of people fishing Stone Lake and Tippys south of Dubuque.  I am wondering if anyone knows how to access them.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Someone was telling me they went to tippy lake. But I have no clue either where/how to get there

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:13 PM »
FTWGA

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Went out to Schmitts today. Not much action. I marked a few but couldn't get them to bite. I was able to bring them off the bottom a foot and a half or so...walleye?  The bait shop said mornings and evening are producing walleye and crappie. He also said the bite is on at Tippys, close to Galena harbor.
FTWGA

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:15 PM »
That was my experience when fishing there...large marks, tossed an UL lipless down the hole and they'd chase it all day but never commit.

Catchin' Fish

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Any snow left on Schmitt?  Was looking to take the kids out tomorrow for their first time, but I'm a little worried about there not being any traction.  Any other ideas on where to take them or just wait for some snow?  Thanks!
FTWGA

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:00 PM »
Been 2 Schmitt 2 times in the past couple days. Caught my first northern that was 34" but can't get any bluegill or crappie to bite!! Whats the deal, I have tried minnows, waxies, artificial baits, spoons, and every jug i own. They come off the bottom and look but no takers. Any advise for places to try?

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Even the fish in Bergfield are hard to come by.  The bite is very light If at all.  I planned on going to Schmitt Wed, but you may have changed my mind, although I don't know where else to go.   Zollicofers is probably not accessible without a snowmobile.  How was the ice and snow in the harbor?  May have to finally get out the smitty for the first time.
FTWGA

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2015, 06:55 PM »
The snow is deep and the ice is thick. I agree zollies would be impossible by foot. I got tired walking to Schmitt. I don't know where to go at all now. I've always wanted to try tippies lake, but have no clue where to go once im there. If I get motivated enough in the morning, might call the lady in Guttenburg and see how the fishing is.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Is there anything to catch other than northern at O'Leary's?  I've never been out there.  Seems like it would've been sheltered from the blowing snow pretty well
FTWGA

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I havnt fished there much this year but years last ive done decent on bluegill. Maybe i should try there. Hmmmm

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:05 AM »
If I can access it, I may try that pond in E. Dubuque, right under the bridge. I saw that it produced some pretty good crappy in years past.
FTWGA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.