Author Topic: Striker suit owners  (Read 3128 times)

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Striker suit owners
« on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Finally narrowed down my list of ice fishing suits and am going with Striker.  I have searched this forum and others and really can't find an answer to what I am looking for.  Little background....  I don't do much spring and fall fishing as my job won't allow for it but I do a lot of ice fishing so I have narrowed my choices to the hardwater and predator suits.  I don't fish inside a shanty much but do from time to time.  I would say I'm not a true "run and gun" style fisherman but don't just stay idle in the shanty either.  My question is how bulky is the hardwater suit?  I like the idea of staying warm and with the vents can always open them to cool off but I don't want to be too confined in it.  How warm are the predator suits and are they less bulky?  I do a lot of fishing on my knees for rainbows so take that into consideration for bib recommendation.  Thoughts on which suit I should get?  I don't have any local places to go to check them out in person.  Has anyone gone with the hardwater bibs and predator jacket?   Thanks for your input in advance.

Tight lines!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Striker suit owners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:24 PM »
I would say the Predator is similar to the Clam blue suit ...both fabric and insulation wise and movement ...the Hardwater suit is made of a different material then the Predator and Climate. ..the Hardwater has a Carhart feel to it ..has more insulation  its intended for being out in the elements in the harshest conditions

I have the Climate suit ...not sure what condition weather wise you experience ...your location is blank
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:30 AM »
I bought the predator and feel VERY comfortable in.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:16 AM »
Might want to go try one on close to you where they sell them.  Have the hard water myself and love it, you are the only one that can answer as to whether its too bulky or not!!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Just got the hardwater model this season. I find the bibs to be bulky but the jacket is very comfortable. Past 2 days it has been around 10°F here with 15-20 mph winds. I've been comfortable with a long sleeve shirt and long johns under my suit. I don't run around much either, just walk to get flags, check bait etc.  They do breathe well, I haven't sweat a bit. I'm certain with good base layers this suit would keep me warm in -20°F temps. I'm 5'10, 240lbs and the XL fits good with room for layering all around.
It must be something in the water.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I have the hardwater suit
 Don't think it's bulky at all if you get the right size. Very warm, was fishing in 20 degree weather yesterday with 10-15mph wind and snow that turned into sleet, hail, and freezing rain later in the day. If I was dragging my sled or walking around alot I had take off the coat, not once from a half hour before sunrise till sunset did I get cold

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:15 PM »
I have the guardian jacket and predator bibs. They are plenty warm for 0 to 10 below,  i would rather layer than 1 heavy coat. The shells on these 2 pcs isn't as durable as some of the others. I love the waterproof knees! Just my 2 cents.

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:07 AM »
I've been shopping the last month as well.  I ended up purchasing/receiving the hardwater bibs and jacket yesterday - Both in medium.  I'm 5'7 and 165 lbs.  The jacket and bibs leave plenty of room for layers, sweatshirts, etc.  I do almost feel the bibs are kind of big on me, but I'm a short guy.  Anyway, seems to be great quality and wasn't as bulky as I expected.  I did buy the "striker " mitts ice climate mitt and beanie as well.  Beanie is nice, but for the money the gloves are a disappointment upon inspection.  I'll test them out tonight for a final review.
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:14 AM »
I've been shopping the last month as well.  I ended up purchasing/receiving the hardwater bibs and jacket yesterday - Both in medium.  I'm 5'7 and 165 lbs.  The jacket and bibs leave plenty of room for layers, sweatshirts, etc.  I do almost feel the bibs are kind of big on me, but I'm a short guy.  Anyway, seems to be great quality and wasn't as bulky as I expected.  I did buy the "striker " mitts ice climate mitt and beanie as well.  Beanie is nice, but for the money the gloves are a disappointment upon inspection.  I'll test them out tonight for a final review.
   You don't need plenty of room for layering, these suits are amazing!! You do not have to wear much at all under the hard water setup!!   Most guys are used to layering because of what they wore before , they had too!!

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:09 AM »
I have the striker lite suit and stay plenty warm even when kneeling outside fishing and isnt bulky its my 3rd season with it

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:58 AM »
I own the hard water bibs and jacket. They are nice and warm. All I wear is boxers and maybe a thin base layer. I have two issues with mine. 1. They are built to fit guys from five feet to ten feet tall. If you're short like me, there is a TON of extra length in the legs that gets folded up and snapped in around the lower legs. This can be a pain while putting them on because feet can get hung up on the material. This leads me to issue 2. Due to the fact that I am short, my knees end up right on a horizontal seem and many times, I have ended up with a wet knee. Not a huge deal, but for short guys, it is not perfect. If I didn't care about floatation, I would have stuck with my Vexilar cold snap bibs. They are by far more ergonomic to wear and the ventilation zippers are much easier to access and use. I still wear the Vex bibs to work on many days. Also, the little washcloths on the front wish PLASTIC snaps about drive me nuts! Always coming undone. When you are ready to vegetate in the tent, Hard water bibs are great. when getting on the ice, it is a task while wearing the bibs not to get too hot. They are VERY warm! Prefect for cold times on the ice. Once you put on the jacket and a good hat, weather has zero effect on you. You are now an icetronaught. Enjoy, Prospector

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:07 AM »
I own the hard water bibs and jacket. They are nice and warm. All I wear is boxers and maybe a thin base layer. I have two issues with mine. 1. They are built to fit guys from five feet to ten feet tall. If you're short like me, there is a TON of extra length in the legs that gets folded up and snapped in around the lower legs. This can be a pain while putting them on because feet can get hung up on the material. This leads me to issue 2. Due to the fact that I am short, my knees end up right on a horizontal seem and many times, I have ended up with a wet knee. Not a huge deal, but for short guys, it is not perfect. If I didn't care about floatation, I would have stuck with my Vexilar cold snap bibs. They are by far more ergonomic to wear and the ventilation zippers are much easier to access and use. I still wear the Vex bibs to work on many days. Also, the little washcloths on the front wish PLASTIC snaps about drive me nuts! Always coming undone. When you are ready to vegetate in the tent, Hard water bibs are great. when getting on the ice, it is a task while wearing the bibs not to get too hot. They are VERY warm! Prefect for cold times on the ice. Once you put on the jacket and a good hat, weather has zero effect on you. You are now an icetronaught. Enjoy, Prospector
           With the legs "folded" up the Velcro is so tight you cant get your finger in behind mine, so no way to catch my foot in the "fold", guess that's the first time I heard of that!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:59 PM »
I will look closer at mine. As I remember, mine uses snaps. Thanks.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:28 PM »
           With the legs "folded" up the Velcro is so tight you cant get your finger in behind mine, so no way to catch my foot in the "fold", guess that's the first time I heard of that!

That Velcro is some tough stuff ...got to make sure its lined up and flat ....did on a ironing board . no problem ...even have some of the gator sticking out
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:48 PM »
Striker ice cuff adjustment instructions   post #26

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=293788.msg3072130#msg3072130

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:40 PM »
You guys are right on. Mine were done right, it is the gator that my toes like to get tangled in. Thanks!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:41 PM »
my next purchase!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:05 PM »
So I ended up with the striker predator and couldn't be more happy with it.  Tried it for the first time a couple days ago.  Was 23 degrees with 20 plus mph winds and I only had a t shirt under the parka and was toasty.  I'm sure all the suits they make are great but I couldn't be more happy with my purchase.  Not bulky at all and very well made!  Should have got one years ago!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.