Author Topic: DNR Checks!  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
DNR Checks!
« on: Jan 02, 2006, 11:04 AM »
Just want to remind those venturing out to go fishing.  Don't leave your license at home.  It may be winter around the country, but the Dnr still checks for licenses.  While we were out ice fishing yesterday.  The Dnr pulled up and went around the lake checking for fishing licenses and illegal fish.  He was very careful in matching up driver licenses or picture id's with your fishing license.  Went through our bucket to make sure we didn't have anything illegal. 

Some folks get upset about this when being checked.  Myself, I love to see it!  It means our Dnr is staying on top of things.  Making sure there are no illegal fish being taken out of the lakes.  Such as undersized bass, or exceding limits of fish that have daily limits. 
When the bass season is over, there's nothing better than ice fishing!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DNR Checks!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Just want to remind those venturing out to go fishing.  Don't leave your license at home.  It may be winter around the country, but the Dnr still checks for licenses.  While we were out ice fishing yesterday.  The Dnr pulled up and went around the lake checking for fishing licenses and illegal fish.  He was very careful in matching up driver licenses or picture id's with your fishing license.  Went through our bucket to make sure we didn't have anything illegal. 

Some folks get upset about this when being checked.  Myself, I love to see it!  It means our Dnr is staying on top of things.  Making sure there are no illegal fish being taken out of the lakes.  Such as undersized bass, or exceding limits of fish that have daily limits. 

I agree. However I fish lakes where I never ever see them and haven't for years. There just aren't enough to go around and some anglers know that. At least up here in Steuben, Lagrange, and Noble counties.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2006, 01:43 PM »
There just aren't enough to go around and some anglers know that. At least up here in Steuben, Lagrange, and Noble counties.

It was a Stubeon county lake that I was checked on yesterday.  I've been checked 3 times on this small lake.  I've also been checked on Pigeon, Hamilton, Blue, Loon, Cree, & L. Turkey.  This was the first time I've been checked while ice fishing.  It's sort of funny, because I hear about how great the Michigan Dnr is, and how they do lots of checks.  I fish Michigan, Ohio, & Indiana.  I've been checked twice in Michigan, once in Ohio, and more than 10 times in Indiana during the couse of my fishing days.  It certainly hasn't been a lot, so I would agree with you that we need more DNR out there.  They're just lack the funding.

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I've been check numerous times.  My wife just says that must mean I fish too much.  I've been checked the most times in the summer on a little lake here in Steuben called Pigeon lake.  On the ice, Fox would have to be next on how many times I've been checked.  The last time was funny since a guy who lived on the lake saw the Conservation officer and decided he was done fish and tried to "sneak" off the ice.  He ended up with a ticket I believe.

Remember these people are doing their job and it is not fun for them.  On Crooked Lake I saw a group with a few guys their wives and some kids getting checked, getting aggravated and being told that if they came closer they were going to jail.  I had my cell phone out because I thought they were going to jump the officer.

Jonesy

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2006, 02:15 PM »
I say check me all you want, every time I go.
I am not doing anything wrong. Maybe more people would get licenses
and pay for more fish stocks and habitat development or prevent those fish from being taken. A lot of people are getting away with fishing illegally especially in the summer.

Offline Bigbass101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2006, 02:44 PM »
AngolaJones,  thanks for mentioning Fox lake.  That is one that I've been checked on also.  Yesterday on the way home, I drove by the Pigeon lake your referring to.  The water is way up, but there's still ice on the lake.  Never ice fished that one.  Always worried about the currents that come in there.  Great summer lake for some piece and quiet.  Love those lay downs. :)

P.S.  Ice fished Fox one time.  It was brutal too me.  One dink, and I had to work hard for it.

Offline musicmanmobiledj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:33 PM »
fellow pigeon lake lover here very nice and quiet excpet when the guy has his airplane on next door but thats fun to watch havent hit it on the ice i would love to though how well does it freeze it seems there is alot of current in that lake..

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:46 PM »
fellow pigeon lake lover here very nice and quiet excpet when the guy has his airplane on next door but thats fun to watch havent hit it on the ice i would love to though how well does it freeze it seems there is alot of current in that lake..
I have ice fished it in the first basin a few years ago when there was a ton of ice.  I wouldn't want to go too far in the second though.  Also I steered clear of the creek/drain tile that comes in just around the channel from the launch.  We caught some crappie bluegill and bass.  I've caught some nice perch from my boat but we didn't get any under the ice.

Jonesy

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 07:58 AM »
I don't mind it a bit when the DNR is out doing checks, they're just performing they're duties which in turn is preserving our resources. there are times that i get some good info out of the (usually a ) guy , if i'm one of the last he's checked i can find out how others on the lake are doing or what other nearby lake he's checked and how productive it has been over there.If you're not doing anything wrong dont be afraid to talk to them.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:16 AM »
All they are doing is they're job,if it werent for them,our Lakes would be a disaster,I personally know alot of e'm in our district,if you're illegal,you're asking for trouble,they are a good bunch of guys,I have encounters with em all the time since I got a Guide Service on Brookville,I've got some good info myself out of em,all they ask is to have a valid Liscense and no short fish and not over you're limit,thats not asking to much is it?

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:28 AM »
All they are doing is they're job,if it weren't for them,our Lakes would be a disaster,I personally know alot of e'm in our district,if you're illegal,you're asking for trouble,they are a good bunch of guys,I have encounters with em all the time since I got a Guide Service on Brookville,I've got some good info myself out of em,all they ask is to have a valid License and no short fish and not over you're limit,thats not asking to much is it?
You are absolutely right.
Inevitably, it is the non license holders who over fish and over keep. Although I've heard of a few people who keep everything they catch...... personally,  gobstopper size nibbles are not my idea of a fish dinner....

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline Smokerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:18 PM »
The more you fish, the more you get checked.  I love this too much to be illegal, period.    Being a lifetime cardholder,  I get checked once, next time, it's "how's it going Andre?"   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.