New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake  (Read 24353 times)

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
Re: Silver lake
« Reply #120 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:33 PM »
 I usually fish shallow for gills....today I went deeper...and will be eating good for a couple days!

Offline Jennie49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:35 PM »
The gills are somewhere.   During the spawn the past couple years, you see hordes of big ones in the shallows like every other year.   If all the mature fish have been taken, why aren't we seeing all the dinks left behind on the camera or sight fishing?   I have not been there this year, but last year I would drill a dozen or two holes over the course of many hours and not see a single fish on the camera, big or small.   This tells me they are not there, at least where I was.   I believe some years they settle into the areas we like to fish, and some years they don't.    Who knows the factors than might contribute to this?  Environmental?  Man made?  Both?

How many times have the fish been on fire in the SE corner while the SW corner is void of fish all together, then two weeks later it flip flops?    What's to say they don't vacate both corners for whatever reason?

My guess is it is food related, as most all fish movements are.   Perhaps their food source in the shallows is not present for some reason.

That is definitely a well thought out rationalization. This trial is yet to be decided. May we submit exhibit 1.247-Z under environmental code project Fat lady hasnt sung her gills out yet to the jury please.  :woot:

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:17 PM »
just because we just got safe ice....this is not a first ice pattern.  Mid winter.....fish are closer to the deep basins. :whistle:

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Jan 25, 2015, 07:51 PM »
Evolution....... if people fish the same spot year after year what do you think is going to happen? The fish are there. Try a new spot thats not in the middle of 10 other shantys..... ;D

Offline blacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Jan 26, 2015, 06:10 PM »
fished today, put in at the boat launch and walked north a bit. started at 12' of water and moved out to 25'. i probably drilled 20 holes and caught fish on almost every single hole from 15' out. once i got into 20'+ the flasher was going nuts on every hole. I've never caught so many fish, so quickly, from so many different holes. unfortunately the biggest perch were maybe 7". I'd pull up a few dinks, move 10 yards pull up dinks, move 20 yards pull up dinks, etc. it seems like the entire bottom of the lake in 20'+ of water is carpeted with 5" perch.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:38 AM »
Evolution....... if people fish the same spot year after year what do you think is going to happen? The fish are there. Try a new spot thats not in the middle of 10 other shantys..... ;D
just because we just got safe ice....this is not a first ice pattern.  Mid winter.....fish are closer to the deep basins. :whistle:
that's basically what I said in my last post. get away from the crowds and go deeper.... fish are always on the move. I've dropped my camera down a hole there and seen schools of gills in deeper water when no one has been getting anything in the weed beds. keep searching if you can't find them. seems like the "weekend fishermen" can't do their own homework
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline wackmaster308

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbabooey
« Reply #126 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:00 PM »
seems like the "weekend fisherman" must have jobs during the week, and dont have time to cover the whole lake.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Jan 27, 2015, 12:37 PM »
well that's why it's called fishing but, don't worry we'll do the work for you when it comes to finding the fish and post it all on here to stop all the crying "where are they?" ...by the way, I work too but have no problems finding them, hence doing my homework
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline STEALTH MODE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:00 PM »
don't believe a lake that size can get fished out  but something has changed the last 3 years  4 years ago and beyond you could fish 10 feet and less and see the bottom crystal clear    the last 3 years your lucky if you can see your jig at all at 3 feet             weeds are very scattered  used to have to find pockets in thick weeds   now you can drop down almost anywhere   and hit bottom   yep something has changed

Offline Ice Crazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Your right it's fished out, bone dry ,nothing but dinks so go some ware else! Or try harder that's the Question

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:27 PM »
seems like the "weekend fisherman" must have jobs during the week, and dont have time to cover the whole lake.
You got it. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:03 AM »
don't believe a lake that size can get fished out  but something has changed the last 3 years  4 years ago and beyond you could fish 10 feet and less and see the bottom crystal clear    the last 3 years your lucky if you can see your jig at all at 3 feet             weeds are very scattered  used to have to find pockets in thick weeds   now you can drop down almost anywhere   and hit bottom   yep something has changed
A little history.  Years back (in the early 60's) we used the large wobble wright lures with perch eyes and long 5' poles and reels and caught all the 10-11" perch you wanted and even a few larger ones.   As the years went by (late 60's) the short jigging pole showed up and the jigs got a little smaller like the Russian hooks, Willow leafs or the Conesus jigs but they were still far larger compared to what is used today.  Best bait was still perch eyes. Then through the 80's and 90's tackle continued to get smaller and line lighter.  My point is that no lake stays the same, this lake has changed about every 10  years to a different method to catch perch.   For years now these perch in Silver Lake have been bombarded with small tiny jigs and small baits just right for the smaller faster perch to catch.  I am not saying go back to the 60's, but you need to find out what new fishing method will work today.  I think the light small outfits and jigs are lending themselves to the smaller perch.  You guys with cameras must see the larger perch down there today.  I see them on my aqua view, not a lot but there are larger perch in the deep water mixed with the small ones.  They just don't hit as quick as the smaller perch.  You say what is this new fishing method, I don't know, I've tried everything, but if you have fished this lake as long as I, you will know the fishing methods have changed many times. This lake is not fished out, I think those things I see on the aqua view camera are perch and a lot of them.  Keeep on trying I do.

Keep on hauling
Perch Chacer

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:51 AM »
Perch Chacer out of curiosity are you still able to catch 10-11 inch perch consistently? Do you ever get a bucket full?

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:16 AM »
I don't believe anybody catches them by the bucket loads..but does anybody really need a bucket load every time they go out fishing. Wouldn't 15 -20 perch, in the 10 - 11" range make a few nice meals? Then there would be a few more left for the next time on the ice, and give guys a reason to get out of the house and go fishing again!!

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Some people don't go out much. When I go to panfish I want to make it worth my while in time and money and keep my limit.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Well my bucket only holds 15 11 inch perch

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #136 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I don't believe anybody catches them by the bucket loads..but does anybody really need a bucket load every time they go out fishing. Wouldn't 15 -20 perch, in the 10 - 11" range make a few nice meals? Then there would be a few more left for the next time on the ice, and give guys a reason to get out of the house and go fishing again!!

For my family (wife,son and myself) 20 perch is 1 meal.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:58 PM »
Perch Chacer out of curiosity are you still able to catch 10-11 inch perch consistently? Do you ever get a bucket full?

Haven't been to Silver this year, my son keeps wanting to go to Chat.  Been fishing Chat for 2 weeks, we did a nice mess of  8-9" perch last Sat's with a few 10" at Long Point, and a lot of shorter ones as through backs, hard to give up a good thing.  I do want to try Silver again this year and I will go back to old school when I do, willow leaf or swedish pimple with perch eyes or oak leaf grubs in deep water.  I saw them on the camera so I  know they are there.

Perch Chacer

Offline richanddeesherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:01 AM »
Out fishing is better then being at work lol

Offline lakeriefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Well my bucket only holds 15 11 inch perch
I agree especially when u drive hr plus just to fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:18 PM »
Dose any body now how much snow on ice

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Went out last week there was about 4 inches or so probably more than that now i assume

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Jan 31, 2015, 08:16 PM »
Thanks for info

Offline Ice_Ape

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Depends where you are for the snow cover. Was out of the pines on Friday and it was drifted there pretty good in spots. Ice was a solid 9.5 inches with 4-10 inches of snow on top.
Do you think there's hardwater in heaven?

Offline Bob shepard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:19 AM »
On Jan 31st I went out off Taber Rd, drilled 15 holes in all depths of water, and on my camera the only fish I saw was one northern pike. HAS ANYONE SEEN ANY FISH IN ANY OTHER PART OF THE LAKE?

Offline buckskinner14530

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:55 PM »
fished 3to5pm got 15 keeper perch 10to11" tons of dinks mixed in. nonstop from time the jig hit the bottom. big ones chased it up 8' before they hit. used a 3" jigging spoon still was getting 4" perch on it.walk sucked a foot of slush and water on top of ice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Feb 11, 2015, 09:19 PM »
Went to the deep water -35' on Silver -Wed.  The shore was drifted out about 20', once past that there was a foot of snow over 6"of slush almost everywhere I walked - terrible.   When I did get holes drilled I saw fish on the graft near the bottom.   Started with small jigs and grubs - nothing but 3-4" dinks non-stop.  Changed to a large willow leaf jig and then a large swedish pimple and perch eye (old school fishing) and started catching 8-9" perch the dinks only hit the larger jig once in awhile.   So to all that say this lake is dead the larger perch are there, you just got to try different things.

Perch Chacer

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:03 PM »
Dink perch in Silver Lake - why?  After some investigation and a few phone calls this is what I found out.  There are zebra mussels in Silver Lake and the proof is when the Village of Perry cleans the water intake screens at the end of Standpipe Rd. they are covered with zebra mussels.  Zebra mussels filtrate the water and remove the pyhtoplankton.  Phytoplankton are microscopic water bugs which are eaten by different lake creatures like blood worms, freshwater shrimp and small bait fish.   The blood worms, freshwater shrimp and small bait fish are eaten by the perch.  If the population of phytoplankton has been reduced by the zebra mussels then there may not be enough feed for a good healthy perch population.   Perch will grow to 8" in 4 years in a well balanced lake ecosytem.  If food is insufficient the perch may remain short or grow at a slower pace.  This could be one of the reasons  for what is happening in Silver Lake.   The zebra mussel infestation may not get extreme due to the fact that Silver Lake is mainly mud bottom and zebra mussels need solid structure to attach to, but any effect on the ecosystem may effect the perch.  But combined with other reasons like the state stopping the walleye stocking program the predator fish population could be down.   This is for information only and some people may not agree with the above information and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Perch Chacer

Offline ALLEGANYCOD

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:18 PM »
Lots of Zebra mussels in Seneca and Keuka and the Perch are huge!!

Offline St_croix_icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Feb 12, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Ton of zebras in erie bit the perch are huge

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.