Author Topic: What rod combo do you like the best  (Read 1505 times)

Offline kmart189

• IceShanty Rookie
What rod combo do you like the best
« on: Dec 28, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I have a Frabill Bro Ice Combo heavy for Pike and a Ugly Stick GX2 that I use for trout I don't think it's as good of quality as the Frabill although I still do like it. Anyway I am looking for a good ice combo for around the $50 or less mark to add to my collection for targeting larger (rainbow trout, etc not laker) I wouldn't be opposed to another ugly stick but looking for opinions and ideas.

Offline Toddr44

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What rod combo do you like the best
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2014, 04:11 PM »
I've been really happy with the Wicked combos from 13 fishing.  I own two of them with the Wicked long shank reel. Moderately priced, and really nice performance. The reel is a pretty nice design. The long shank accommodates a gloved hand and the drag system is really nice. I also have a 13 fishing white out  With the same reel. Medium light action which is a perfect combo for the average trout water here in Colorado.
 Go see the guys at Colorado Tackle Pro, they have a great selection of them there. Good luck!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Those GX2 Ugly Stiks don't have as much back bone as the old Stiks but they're still Tonka tough which is what I look for in an ice rod and they're a good value. I'd rather put my money into reels so I use my crappie reels which are all mid-grade Shimanos in the smallest sizes. Personally I think it's more important to focus on top quality hooks, leaders and line and most importantly, good quality knots that you can tie well.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Ive been using the St croix Premier ice rods lately. The 32" heavy and the 32" medium are the cats pajamas for larger heavier fish and/or jigging heavier stuff. $30 is cheap.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Jackperch72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I really like the team northland ice combo the reel is awesome and the medium pole has a lot of backbone. I know there 70 bucks but last year at gander got mine for 55 dollars around end of January.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,

doesn’t know what a patient man she married !

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:45 PM »
St. Croix Legend and a Shimano Bantam 100

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:17 AM »
I fish mainly for walleye, trout and perch . My go to combo is a St. Croix premier 28" ML paired with an Abu Garcia cardinal.

Offline fishinbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I haven't got one yet, but i have been curious about these for a while,

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Expedition-UltraFeel-Ice-Combo/1389628.uts

Anyone ever use one?  I have read some reviews liking the rod, but maybe not the reel. 

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2014, 04:28 PM »
I'm experimenting with Frabill, Clam, Eagle Claw and other combos with a fly line type reel.  The concept makes sense from the standpoint of keeping line from coiling, but these outfits, especially the reels are not uniform in quality and handling.  Before I report on the pluses and minuses of each, I will put them to the fish catching test.  Since these combos average about $40, it is important to know what you are getting for the money.  Local ice is now available so I'll have my report shortly.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I'm very dubious of a $30 or $40 combination setup. They have to cut the quality somewhere to get to that price point and that will have to be in the reel.  I think you'd be lucky to get one years use out it before the bearings seize up. You can always use your soft water reels and just stick them on a ice rod. Add on 30' of ice line and you're set. Or if you think you'd like to try ice fishing but don't want to drop a bunch of money, just order up a Schooley outfit or a Swish rod.  If you're just going to be fishing for trout you may never be fishing deeper than 12' so you sure don't need something with 150 yards of line. Instead of a carbon washer drag system you can just feather the reel with your other hand. We're not chasing tuna here. Keep it simple but don't throw your money away.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline kmart189

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Well I picked out the Wicked ML with the extended reel. I will try it out this weekend at 11 mile, it was a close decision between the 13 fishing and the St Croix. I just wanted to have another option since I only had 2 ice rods. Thank you, for the input from everyone.

Offline ugillme

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BLUEGILLS FEAR ME
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I haven't got one yet, but i have been curious about these for a while,

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Expedition-UltraFeel-Ice-Combo/1389628.uts

Anyone ever use one?  I have read some reviews liking the rod, but maybe not the reel.
dont waste your money. a 12 dollar rod with a 2 dollar reel. no where worth 50 bucks. believe me i threw a couple in the trash. for panfish i dont go money crazy a ht ul blues and a diawa sweepfire about 25 bucks total and that setup works nice and i have landed some bigger fish and the drag works nice and smooth. for jigging bigger fish i like the gx2 med ugly and a decent reel with a good drag system is a must like a cardinal,plueger,or a shimano. for around 60 bucks i can match a nice rod with my choice of a reel.i dont know who made them reviews on them expedition setups, but i scratched my head when i recieved and used mine. what a waste of money for chinese made junk.somebodys making a hefty profit off of those setups at them prices.
HAVE GILLS? WILL TRAVEL.
YOU CAN USE MY VEX WHILE YOUR MARCUMS IN THE SHOP.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2014, 02:35 PM »
Stinky fingers...the only reason I bought the combos is because thevreels separately go for $29 plus.  Last I checked, Eagle Claw makes them in the US.  Some of the reels have 5 bearings.

While rods are important, I am a firm believer that the reel is more important in fishing than rods. I've not used these fly reel type setups so after trying them on fish at minus zero temps, I'll be able to better judge their performance.  I've not had a spinning reel, even a $70 one, that is worth a darn in extreme cold.  This is why I currently prefer expensive bait cast reels.

Maybe these will work well and then again...maybe not.  Got to try them first.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I'm experimenting with Frabill, Clam, Eagle Claw and other combos with a fly line type reel.  The concept makes sense from the standpoint of keeping line from coiling, but these outfits, especially the reels are not uniform in quality and handling.  Before I report on the pluses and minuses of each, I will put them to the fish catching test.  Since these combos average about $40, it is important to know what you are getting for the money.  Local ice is now available so I'll have my report shortly.
Mr. Maggot-- I did not mean to criticize your judgment. What I was thinking of was the low end spinning combinations that I see in Cabelas and other retailers. I've been tempted before by laughably low, low prices on Silstar, Cabelas brand and other junk that just wound up in the trash sooner rather than later. Those fly type reels that you're contemplating make a lot more sense and would be what I'd be buying if I were shopping.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2014, 06:45 PM »
They are actually called in-line reels but look like a fly reel with a baitcasting like reel handle.  I am having mixed results so far and some versions are going for $80 for only the reel.  Want to make sure before I get a more expensive version.

Offline fishinbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:39 AM »
dont waste your money. a 12 dollar rod with a 2 dollar reel. no where worth 50 bucks. believe me i threw a couple in the trash. for panfish i dont go money crazy a ht ul blues and a diawa sweepfire about 25 bucks total and that setup works nice and i have landed some bigger fish and the drag works nice and smooth. for jigging bigger fish i like the gx2 med ugly and a decent reel with a good drag system is a must like a cardinal,plueger,or a shimano. for around 60 bucks i can match a nice rod with my choice of a reel.i dont know who made them reviews on them expedition setups, but i scratched my head when i recieved and used mine. what a waste of money for chinese made junk.somebodys making a hefty profit off of those setups at them prices.

Thanks ugillme for the feedback

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2015, 01:53 PM »
Fenwick makes some pretty decent ice rods. Pair that with a small Pflueger Trion Reel. I have a bunch of St Croix's that I like too.

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2015, 02:30 PM »
The reel is the important part unless you're fishing for lakers. Then a good rod can be important.The super cheap rods will break under any kind of weight. I also think the lower end pfluger, shimano and okuma reels work great for ice fishing. If you clean them and replace the grease with the "sub zero" grease, you can land a pretty big trout on 2-4lb test line.

Offline salamotrutta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2015, 07:07 PM »
i really like the 36 inch tony roach ice rod from wright and mcgilll. it is nice to have a little more length for playing the fish, and for detecting the lighter bites. however not the most durable rod, i broke the top eyelet off. oh well still works great on the jacker.

Offline rabel74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2015, 09:54 PM »
I am a huge fan of the St Croix. It is all I use for both ice and fresh water fishing. I use 24in premier ML and MH. I am going to be getting a couple 32in MH for the Jaw Jacker. I pair it up with a shimano reel.

Josh

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.