Author Topic: Camera or Flasher?  (Read 4495 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camera or Flasher?
« on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:20 AM »
Camera or Flasher?
My buddy has an aquaview and I love it.  It really keeps my attention (I'm ADD).
I've never seen a flasher in use but I see a lot of serious anglers using them.  What are your thoughts?
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Schmits

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Camera or Flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:51 AM »
If I could have just one it would be my flasher.  I say that because I like the ability to have instant feedback on how deep the water is beneath the ice,  and they show the entire water column plus they are more mobile than cameras. I love to set up the camera when I'm in the shack and have no plans on moving, I find them fun to watch. It always ends up being used as a supplement to my flasher though.  Imo it's definitely flasher first,  camera second.

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Flasher all the way

Offline yank0073

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:32 PM »

Offline Jaybo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:36 PM »
The flasher for sure unless you are going with young kids.  The cammy keeps them interested for hours, but the flasher is a game changer.

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:39 PM »
flasher , hands down ;D

Kyle_J

« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Flasher, i have both and use the flasher more.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Flasher without a doubt, tho I have both I usually leave the camera at home.  I have left the flasher at home one time, I drove back home to get it.  Won't fish without it kinda sad but true!!

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:36 PM »
sonar or flasher for sure! There are moments when a camera is handy, but a sonar is way more useful with a lot more upsides! Especially if you want to be mobile

Offline dsab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Flasher

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Flashers work in muddy water.    Cameras don't.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Dust Devil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:04 PM »
without a doubt go flasher.

Aslo don't worry about not knowing how to use one. five min after you put the transducer in the hole and switch it on you'll figure it out. They are dead simple.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Flasher hands down!  Cameras are good too but with a flasher you will see the entire water column.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline colt25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Can't beat a flasher

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Flasher. I have both and use the camera for checking structure and keeping the boy entertained, flasher gets a lot more use out of it. Use the flasher in the summer in my small boat as well

Offline SaskWatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:48 AM »
I have both. The camera gives you something to watch but only covers a few feet of water column. There could be a whole mess of fish above your camera. This is where you'll see the advantage of a flasher. I use the flasher in deep water for Lake trout. With it I can cover a hundred feet of water column. Without it I tend to bounce hook off the bottom and have no idea what is above me. I started using flasher in shallower water for perch and walleye. The flasher was catching 4x as many fish as the guy fishing blind. Simply because you can watch how the fish react to your hook. If you can get the perch to come off the bottom a couple feet that seems to induce a strike. With a camera I don't want to get my hook out of frame so I can't really lift it too high or I won't know what the fish is doing off camera. It's been said on her numerous times: A camera is a toy, a flasher is a tool . 

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:01 AM »
I walk around the area I plan to fish with the Hummingbird shooting thru ice to find depths and fish marks, drill some holes then I drop Marcum down hole to look at structure and to find what depth the warm water thermocline is, I find warmer water I usually find more fish. Slip camera cable in panner, use the built in compass to find jigs super fast, pop up the portable, game on. I leave the camera down when Perch or Pike are seen, with the camera 6-7 feet from jigs, Perch and Pike seem to be attracted to the Perch shaped camera, walleye I pull camera and use the graph only, as I find the larger Walleye can be camera shy some days. Draw back I have had my camera swallowed numerous times by large Pike.  Camera and cable have a LOT of bite marks but still working fine after three season's. Just bought video capture device for the Marcum and want to try record the last thing a small fish see's as he is eaten. I find both camera and flasher usefull tools. If on a budget I'd get flasher first.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:13 AM »
So,can the flasher be used on top of the ice? Will it mark depth from there or fish?
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Cameras can be good when stationary and the fish are lethargic. Also entertaining when young kids with short attention spans come along. A flasher improves fishing greatly and is extremely useful for hole hopping or just beaming through ice to check depth prior to drilling
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:21 AM »
So,can the flasher be used on top of the ice? Will it mark depth from there or fish?
Mine works up to ice depths under four feet, saves time drilling holes.  It will mark fish if they are active and not sitting tight on bottom. Fish safe

Offline iceberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:36 PM »
you note the flasher can see the whole column, how wide would that column be on an average and when you detecting thru the ice I presume the snow has to be cleared so the unit is sitting on the ice.
I'll have mine on ice.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2015, 12:58 PM »
you note the flasher can see the whole column, how wide would that column be on an average and when you detecting thru the ice I presume the snow has to be cleared so the unit is sitting on the ice.

How wide depends on the angle of the cone the transducer sends out. Some are 19°, some less. Some have the ability, either through a switch or automatically, to use multiple cone angles depending on the depth of water. Generally shallower water calls for a wider cone angle and deeper water calls for a narrower cone angle.

When scouting without drilling you will generally need to clear the snow and sometimes wet the surface of the ice so the transducer has good contact with the ice.

Vexilar has some good videos on their site that explain a lot about flashers.

In shallower, clear water the camera will do fine. In deeper water and in low visibility the flasher will rule. I would go with a flasher to start and add a camera later.

http://vexilar.com/pages/tips--articles

http://vexilar.com/pages/product--fishing-videos

Offline dougie782

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2015, 03:47 PM »
buy a flasher cam are okay if your sitting in one spot all day or if you have kids keeps them from being to bored

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2015, 04:31 PM »
Cameras for kids, sonar for the big boys.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:44 PM »
Sonar sets up quicker, works in deeper or murkier waters, and covers a larger space. Camera is more fun, helps optimizing lure presentation, helps choosing the right moment to set the hook, and reveals the fish habitat.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:04 PM »
I have two of each. The cheapest flasher, Marcum Troller under $200 on Boxing Day, works great. The only missing part from expensive sonar is color. One can still estimate the size of the target by blackness and width of the bar.  The cheapest B/W cameras under $200, Aquaview CRT models, have noticeably less coverage in low light conditions. Missing color is not affecting much. Lower sensitivity by about 10 fold is really bad. 

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:43 PM »
The flasher is a lot better for deep/dirty water and over all I would pick the flasher.  The camera works great for shallow water or clear water, or if you aren't planning on moving. Only dislike for the camera is fish tangling in the cable

Offline CHRIS4WALLEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 04, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Markum lx9 best of both worlds

Offline SaskWatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:14 AM »

I was just using my LX7. Ten feet of water from bottom of ice. It calculates how big a foot print you are making using each cone. With the 20 degree cone I was covering 3.4ft of bottom. With the 8 degree cone is was a tight 1.4ft of bottom.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2015, 08:29 AM »
A camera is a toy, but a flasher is a tool.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.