Author Topic: vex vs showdown  (Read 707 times)

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
vex vs showdown
« on: Dec 26, 2014, 09:45 PM »
I'm looking at upgrading from my original showdown to a new 5.6 dual beam or a fl-18 or possibly the flx-28. I have read dozens of comments on these units.  I am perfectly happy with the showdown and catch a ton of fish but, like every fisherman new toys are exciting! So this is what I have in question.  I fish a ton of structure weeds, fish cribs, and logs. I currently have problems seeing the fish because of the structure.  I don't really get the reasoning for different beams. Nor the difference between the units. Obviously I get the basic stuff. I fish walleye, perch, gills, and crappie so I love the zoom feature.  I would like to give vexilar a shot but I have no clue about them.  Could anyone help and tell the difference in all these units?  I hate to buy a unit and not have a clue what its cabable of!
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: vex vs showdown
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:05 PM »
the unit you have is all digital and zero flashing in your eyes and vertical display.
the vex is a flasher, so all flash and is also analog with a motor spinning a hub and round display.
the dual beams are for different depths mostly. you wouldn't want to use the wide beam for deeper water as you loose the tiny jigs quicker. so you use the narrow beam. on my bird, the wide beam also draws a wider line on my screen, so i tend to use the narrow beam in shallow water too or almost all of the time.
i am trying out (hopefully) a marcum lx7 to see if i like those this season. if not i will try lowrance brand next.

Offline acmarcus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:30 AM »
I'm looking at upgrading from my original showdown to a new 5.6 dual beam or a fl-18 or possibly the flx-28. I have read dozens of comments on these units.  I am perfectly happy with the showdown and catch a ton of fish but, like every fisherman new toys are exciting! So this is what I have in question.  I fish a ton of structure weeds, fish cribs, and logs. I currently have problems seeing the fish because of the structure.  I don't really get the reasoning for different beams. Nor the difference between the units. Obviously I get the basic stuff. I fish walleye, perch, gills, and crappie so I love the zoom feature.  I would like to give vexilar a shot but I have no clue about them.  Could anyone help and tell the difference in all these units?  I hate to buy a unit and not have a clue what its cabable of!
if you have the original showdown, you can upgrade it to the 5.6. You however can not upgrade it to a dual beam with out just buying a new one. The dual beam helps if you fish in deeper water. One narrow beam. One wide beam.  As far as a vex goes, I can't help you there.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Sounds like the weed mode on the FLX 28 would serve you well. 

I have never fished with a showdown, and have owned several Vexilar units.  Never had a problem with Vexilar, just upgraded when I could. 

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2014, 05:17 PM »
I am getting ready to send my showdown in for repairs for the 5 time. All the while I have been using a trusty FL-12 that I picked up last season while the showdown was in the shop. My buddies brand new showdown ice troller 2.0 stopped working after 2 hours of use. Easy choice for me. I would choose Vex hands down.

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Vexilar is 90% of the market for a reason!!!!    They Work!!!!
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2014, 06:10 PM »
The FL18 is pretty bulletproof.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.