The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Smelt rig hook covers????  (Read 346 times)

Offline sweetdad040

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The second mouse gets the cheeze!!!!
Smelt rig hook covers????
« on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:29 PM »
On my smelt rig I run 5-7, #20 treble hooks. The problem I have every year is that many hooks are bound to get hooked up and tangled in transit to the lake. I started using aluminium foil to wrap them and that worked OK but I'm afraid the foils knicks the line. Any ideas?

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Smelt rig hook covers????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2014, 12:36 PM »
These seat belt pads should do the job and are cheap to buy. Just fold over and the velcro will hold all in place.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smelt rig hook covers????
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2014, 01:42 PM »
i am not sure how you rig i don't fish smelt that much. you ever seen a snell holder? i take and make a piece of form a like from a arrow target. cut it in to a pattern shape of a "H"   so i can use a tooth pick to hold the loop of the snell and the hooks go in to the foam. then when i get there i unravel it one hook at a time till i get to the end with the tooth pick then i slide the tooth pick out of H end of the foam. then hook it in to a clasp like a snap swivel or a quick clasp then drop it down the hole is what i thinking your going to do.  i use mine for trolling flies while fishing  i will try to get a picture of this i got one with a crawler harness on it  i can throw up here to show what it look like..  dont know if you would like those pictures or not? i get them if you want them?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.