Author Topic: Ice fishing line  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing line
« on: Dec 31, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Everywhere I read, I am told to use really thin/light line for ice fishing. Why? I would think because of the wear from the sides of the ice hole that a stronger line is needed. Does the stronger line mess up or make things harder? Does the thicker line scare fish? Does the thicker line freeze easy? I just don't get it. Some one tell me why please. Cause tying knots while it is freezing out cant be no fun.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2005, 09:50 PM »
I like to use a 4# main line, followed with the smallest swivel available and 16"-18" of 1# to at most 3# flyfishing tippet material for panfish. 4# fishing line is very durable around the hole as compared to tippet material. Tried floro tippets last year and wasn't really impressed, though many prefer it. To each his own, I quess.

Offline bulldog_fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2006, 11:13 AM »
swede, I use fireline and love it, but I do fish inside a warm shanty so I do not run into the line freezing problem.  I fish mostly for walleye in less than 15' of water and fell comfortable "horsing" the fish in with the heavier test.  I do switch to a light mono for pan fish in the spring. good luck

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2006, 04:16 PM »
More often than not panfish get real line shy. I see it happen on the Aqua-Vu. I prefer two pound (maximum) as clear of a line I can find. You will find you can land really big fish with really light line if you take your time. Plus, keeping in mind when I go I am fishing and not working. That makes me switch gears and slow down to real life realxation mode.
 :tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2006, 06:41 PM »
use the lightest line that you can get away with...I've noticed, on many occasions the catch ratio is much higher with 3 or 4 pound test then it is with six, also, your line color choice will make a difference...try several types, and chose what you can work with best...I prefer 4# Ande green most of the time, though I will switch down to 3 or 2 tippet if I have to....good fishing
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2006, 10:00 PM »
appreciate it, guess I better pick up some lighter line of different sorts and see what works best. I got way too strong of a line on my abu pimpel then, 0.40mm. On my ice fishing reels though, I will put on some light line. I see their is line made just for ice fishing, you don't get much and its a little pricey. Ill pick some up, no sense going out and fouling everything up cause I got the wrong line. Thanks for the help.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:43 PM »
i like 4# and 6#depends on the lake. i mostly fish for togue.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 05:25 PM »
I use mono for all applications. Original Stren is the best all around line around. Its limp enough to be manageable and its durable and strong. Stren magnaflex is one of the best monos around too, much limper than original stren. It's a little weaker though and less abrasion resistant than regular stren though.
For really line shy fish in clear water I will tie a fluoro leader to my mono. P - Line fluorocarbon leader and Stren High Impact are the best leaders. Connect to your main line with double uni knots.
For most trout I use 4 - 6 pound test. Lake trout call for 6 - 10 pound test, and I never go lighter than 10 pound test for pike. I pretty much settle on 2 pound test for all panfish applications.
For small swimming lures and spoons for walleyes, 6 pound mono is best. For #5 jigging raps 8 - 10 pound mono is best, and for #7 I use 12 - 14 pound mono with fluoro leader. A lot of people ask why I use thicker line for walleyes, and that is because the thicker line gives larger jigging raps and nils master a much slower, nicer circling/sweeping action than light mono.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:18 AM »
i  always use 4# this year i tried 6# and have not got a flag that. bach to the 4# . i mostly togue fish (lake trout) they don't seem to like the heavy line(6#)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:03 PM »
swede, you can continue to use the thicker line as a base line and to save money on the expensive stuff just tie a couple feet on as a leader, works great, and you still have the durability of a tough line

Offline Swede

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2006, 11:29 PM »
Thats what I was thinking of but didnt know for sure. Thats the way Ill do it now.

Just attach the two lines with a swivel?

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:31 AM »
yes a small swivel will work fine, or else you can just tie line to line

Offline Freezeout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2006, 01:59 PM »
Just to piggyback on Swedes question about using a small swivel to attach the main line to the flouro leader, what about connecting the hook to the leader? Do you just tie the hook on the plain end of the leader?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:17 PM »
I find swivels work OK when your fishing on hard ice but towards spring when the ice starts to get honeycomb your better off tying the line together because the swivels tend to hang up on the edge of the hole.

Jeremy

Offline Freezeout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2006, 03:02 PM »
I find swivels work OK when your fishing on hard ice but towards spring when the ice starts to get honeycomb your better off tying the line together because the swivels tend to hang up on the edge of the hole.

Jeremy

Thanks. So basically my leader should consist of a 2-3 foot flourocarbon line with swivels tied to each end? What method do you reccommend tying the hook to swivel? Should I use a hook snelling hook with a line already attached to it or just a plain hook like a treble without line?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.