Author Topic: White Bass in the winter  (Read 405 times)

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
White Bass in the winter
« on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Hey guys.I have seen a few posts and watched a few vids of White Bass being caught in the winter.  However, here I have only caught one in the winter, quite unintentionally.  Where do you find them in the winter?  Do they hole up like smallmouth? In the open water here I can catch them at will and they're voracious with 16 - 17 inchers being common.  I am assuming deeper water holes but I ma hoping for a little insight before venturing out.  I'd love to get on them in the winter for the fun of it... when I am tired of catching 10# plus walleyes  ;D.

Thanks.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: White Bass in the winter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:18 PM »
lake or river?

They'll be chasing food obviously...focus on finding the forage and you'll stumble on the whites. Good places to look: river back waters with slight current near warm water, feeder creeks entering a lake with slightly deep water near by, flats with shad rolling through, feeding basins bordered by a bottom hardness change (rock to sand, sand to mud) etc

Catchin' Fish

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Massive lake.  Millions of acres.  I m pretty sure I have a good idea where to look and I hope to give er a go before New Year's.  Food is everywhere on this lake with enormous schools of shiners throughout the water column.  I can't imagine they leave the lake proper and enter only the rivers. 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Massive lake.  Millions of acres.  I m pretty sure I have a good idea where to look and I hope to give er a go before New Year's.  Food is everywhere on this lake with enormous schools of shiners throughout the water column.  I can't imagine they leave the lake proper and enter only the rivers. 

I can't answer your question but I'm jealous of your lake... millions of acres... Biggest lake in NH is only around 45,000 acres, the next biggest after that is less than a quarter of the size. Good luck out there.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2014, 01:03 PM »
I can't answer your question but I'm jealous of your lake... millions of acres... Biggest lake in NH is only around 45,000 acres, the next biggest after that is less than a quarter of the size. Good luck out there.

I fish many smaller lakes and ponds too but it's nice having a few lakes skirting the 1 million acres mark within 2  hours drive.  The one I was referencing (Lake Winnipeg) is 45 mins away and a bit under 6 million acres.  To be honest though I don't drive beyond 3 hours more than 2 or 3 times a year to access the more remote sections.  Of course the problem is that it's so big and so many tributaries I have too many options to find the whites but I know they're there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.