Author Topic: Falling through the ice...  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Falling through the ice...
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:57 PM »
Multiple times... Important info ... with Aaron like humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQjSYflwPck&feature=player_embedded

Offline bngalloNHVTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Falling through the ice...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Thanks for the post! I love Aaron and Uncut Angling I've watched most of their shows and they do a fantastic job!

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:13 PM »
That was hilarious thanks for sharing the video those guys are nuts

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:05 AM »
Funny.. But some good info...

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Great video. Thanks for posting

Offline UncleJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:57 AM »
............Very Good................

Offline justatrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:56 AM »
I got a chuckle out of this! Making an important point while being entertaining seems like a good way to hold peoples attentions.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline muffin man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:48 AM »
so each year I take a try at falling thru so I can practice getting out. Don't try this with out someone near by.......

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Went with floating bibs this season... Both funny & vital info. from Uncut Angling!
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Here is a good video to watch if you have some extra time, too.

t=58

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:51 PM »
so each year I take a try at falling thru so I can practice getting out. Don't try this with out someone near by.......
Sooo, I'm  :unsure:. Do you try or have 100 % success falling through?
If you have someone with you prepared and you're willing to get cold and wet... I can't think of a better way to be prepared for the unexpected.  :thumbsup:
If I was younger and had ice close by I might try the experience... I said might.  ;)
Now, I do everything I can not to go through and am very prepared if I or someone else does.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:02 PM »
There's a reason we are older. We don't do stupid stuff! As I always told my kids - Age and wisdom will always beat youth and speed!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:22 PM »
 ;)

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:51 PM »
There's a reason we are older. We don't do stupid stuff! As I always told my kids - Age and wisdom will always beat youth and speed!

Absolutely!! be safe out there. no fish is worth dying for.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I got a chuckle out of this! Making an important point while being entertaining seems like a good way to hold peoples attentions.

I agree, great video CD, thanks for sharing
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:58 PM »
  Thanks CD that was some good info there. So true about panicking which is easy to do when you hit that chilly water. Slipped off a rock into the conn. river in Pittsburgh in mid may. Water was only arm pit deep but I had a hard time catching a breath for a little bit. I definitely was a cheap lesson. STAY CALM
John

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2014, 04:13 AM »
  Thanks CD that was some good info there. So true about panicking which is easy to do when you hit that chilly water. Slipped off a rock into the conn. river in Pittsburgh in mid may. Water was only arm pit deep but I had a hard time catching a breath for a little bit. I definitely was a cheap lesson. STAY CALM

I broke through years back in over 60ft of water.  Ice all around was 10"+ and I found a bad spot.

I had safety pics and stayed calm. I agree thats the most important... Keep Calm.

Think/Stay focused.  Remember to try to climb out from the direction You came from as you already know that ice held your weight before. Keeping Calm helps you breath better and saves energy. Both Very important if You're in the water and giving You more time to climb out.

Offline lammy1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2014, 06:43 AM »
Nice video,I have the same bobhouse,lol.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I lost everything a few years back...quad and all on a foot of ice that went to nothing due to a spring...600 am in the morning...still have nightmares ...normally it would of been my lady and the dogs in the dump bed of the atv but I decided to leave them back because I was hauling too much stuff...4,000 grand for the recovery and insurance payed for it all...quite scary and if it wasn't for my athletic skills..haha...hence phys Ed teacher It could of got ugly...first time I have ever shared this story on here and maybe it will make someone think twice ... I know it makes me..I try not to think about it but it will always be there
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I some what know what you mean Jibbs.

Although I've never gone through myself, Back in 2010 Laker Taker went through on his wheeler in 100+ feet of water. Luckily it got hung up on the edge of the ice by one wheel. It was brutally cold out that day. I thought he was a goner.

For the newer folks on IS, You can read about it if you search "Dear Diary, By Jiggin" it has pictures of the scene. It was a huge wake up call for me and at times we think back about how lucky we were. Just the night before, we were riding around checking on everyone's houses in the pouring rain at night in the dark, we actually even split up at one point so to finish quicker. We drove by that spot a few times that night never even knowing. The next morning, Laker Taker found it but wasn't able to stop his wheeler in time.

Ice fishing is no joke and can bite you in the behind at a moments notice. I don't take it for granted and since have used much more caution. Thinking back it still makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you Jibbs and I don't blame you for being cautious or skid'ish. Hopefully you will never forget, cause that's when bad stuff happens. More importantly, Glad to your wife and dog weren't with you. I'm sure it makes you sick to even think about what could of been but that's what will keep you safe in the future. Experience is a tough teacher at times, a real b***h slap back into reality.
Someone or something was looking out for you that day. Same someone or something that was looking out after us too.

Cheers man and Happy Holidays.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.