Author Topic: Northern Pike as Table fare  (Read 7572 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Northern Pike as Table fare
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:18 PM »
We have a small friendly debate underway in the Colorado forum on Northerns as table fare. Some people think highly of Pike flesh and others just can't see the attraction especially compared to a standard like walleye. You northern states boys probably eat fish on your pancakes. Any opinions one way or the other?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern Pike as Table fare
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Pike are good. Taste can vary depending on the water it came from. I still prefer Walleye and bluegills though.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:21 PM »
We have a small friendly debate underway in the Colorado forum on Northerns as table fare. Some people think highly of Pike flesh and others just can't see the attraction especially compared to a standard like walleye. You northern states boys probably eat fish on your pancakes. Any opinions one way or the other?

I've had pike before and its fine, the trick is knowing how to cut it up so its boneless.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:23 PM »
I've had pike before and its fine, the trick is knowing how to cut it up so its boneless.
  I agree that the taste is alright depending on the water that it comes out of. Just wish I was good at filleting the Y bone out of them.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:25 PM »
1. Walleye
2. Perch
3. Pike

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Last week at a Florida campground pot luck we had 2 Pike, about 36" from Canada that fed 10 people with lots left and was so good the women wouldn't believe it was Pike!

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Depending on the water, about as good as walleye (northerns, walleye, and perch are all same family I believe?). But as others said the trick is cleaning the Y out so that they're as easy to eat. I'm an oddball though as I prefer bluegill above them both... ???
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:51 PM »
I'm just the opposite. I give my walleye and perch away. Pike on the other hand is awesome imo. I like bluegill not a huge crappie fan. IDK to each their own I guess.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Your not alone, I'll take bluegill and crappie over any other freshwater fish, perch too if I can get some over 8". Actually I've had some salt water fish, that is a league ahead of walleye. I think the best fish I've ever had was some red snapper I caught in Florida. I think when fried, walleye is better than pike, but neither is bad. Baked pike is the way to go. As far as pickling, well, nobody talks about pickled walleye.
-Tom

Offline Green Mountain Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Oy - who doesn't like Gefilte fish!

Made from Pike, Carp and or Whitefish + Gelatinous Mystery Substance.........yumm y! 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:01 PM »
Yum... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I tried Pike last year for the first time. I am not very good with a knife but after watching this I found it easy to clean a pike. Check it out and you will have plenty of Pike meat to eat.
<===Lefty===

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Pike is a top fish with my family and I. ;D
As with most fish around here it's best when it comes from cold water, like spring, fall and winter.

If you can find a lake where the pike eat mostly fresh water shrimp they can be very nice indeed.

WW

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Out of clean water, cleaned properly, and cooked properly they taste great.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:23 PM »
1.perch
2.walleye
3.crappie
4.orange-meated trout

75.carp

100.pike
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:35 PM »
Smaller pike = YUM! 

I love to make pickerel patties as I find their flesh a bit sweeter than pike, but this recipe will also work with pike.

From a modified post of mine from 4 years ago.
My son with some of the raw material

to pickerel patties

getting brown, flip em over

final product - YUM!

Lots of guys don't like pickerel or pike because "they have too many bones", boy they don't know what they are missing. 

Pickerel or pike filets are ground in a food processor, mixed with raw eggs, parsley flakes, garlic powder, fresh minced onion, and mixed with crushed Ritz crackers like a meatloaf and the patties were then fried in oil until golden brown. Delicious!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Thanks for the Recipe. I will try it out next time I catch some hammer handles.
<===Lefty===

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:58 PM »
thanks for the recipe i will have to try.. also for others that think it the body of water it is if having trouble stomaching good fillets try soaking in a mixture of vinegar and water or just plain butter milk.. soak for a good five minutes.  these products remove some of the blood which has some of greenish fish  flavors etc in it. buddy of mine tells me bass is good but he soaks it like said in either of those before he cooks it.. also could try 50/50 progresso Italian bread crumbs and shake & bake dip in milk then the mixture then bake.   ya it does take getting that "y" bone out to like it. nothing better then choking on a y-bone trying to swallow some good fish.   i compare good pike fillets to good walleye. fillets that's why a lot of Canadian shore lunches have each type  cause you can't tell which is which.. good white flaking fish fillets are the best when they hit that oil...i always like mine deep fried... don't know about you guys? 

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:16 PM »
We eat a lot of pike, its awesome. Learn to y bone a pike and get delicious boneless meat. We mix it up with walleye and deep fry. You can't tell the difference. No way.. I've eaten a lot of both, and I truly can't.

Offline shootkx5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:44 PM »
ive had both pike and walleye, both taste awesome, dont know if i could tell the difference

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:49 PM »
we eat almost every pike we catch

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:52 PM »
1.perch
2.walleye
3.crappie
4.orange-meated trout

75.carp

100.pike

101. lutefisk

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:00 PM »
101. lutefisk

I believe that qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment. And yes, my mother is a good bit Norwegian so I know first hand.

I'd bet if I fried up pike, walleye, cod and haddock and put 'em all on the same plate many would be hard pressed to discern with certainty. Walleye does tend to be a bit finer textured akin to panfish where pike is more coarsely flaky kinda like the cod or haddock. All taste fabulous...

Pickling and patties is for pike that are either too small to get much out of anyway or for folks that just don't know the way.

For me, if I have to guarantee a fish fry, it's pike. Shameless creatures that can feed many with just a couple good ones that are easy and quick to clean and taste great. Open your minds and enjoy the bounty.... ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jiggincrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2014, 07:07 PM »
I tried Pike last year for the first time. I am not very good with a knife but after watching this I found it easy to clean a pike. Check it out and you will have plenty of Pike meat to eat.

great video! i dont generally keep pike due to not being very good at cleaning them. I will definitely try this on the frst pike of the season. thanks for the post. 

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:24 PM »
A;most as good as Musky.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:50 PM »
1)Perch
2)Perch
3)Perch
4)Walleye
5)Crappie

Pike didn't make my list.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:28 PM »

I harvest 2-3 pike per year, the 10-15 lb range are perfect.
Smaller pike are not worth dealing with imo.
Walleye's the opposite the larger ones go right back down the hole.

What makes you say that? You can get more meat off one 2 pound pike than a person can eat.
-Tom

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:58 PM »
What makes you say that? You can get more meat off one 2 pound pike than a person can eat.

he is right about selectively harvesting pike the bigger fish have more meat and the y bone is not as bad to get out of them you don't need tweezers to fillet it.  plus  your not wasting more meat in between the y bone then you get in fillets with the larger pike... let them grow is always the best thing i found to do...  unless there over populated then there is no need to fillet a small pike 24 inch may be a legal limit in michiagn  i don't fillet them till at least 32 + inches at least.  not saying any one can't fillet the 24 inch fish it just your better off with the bigger fish in my experience too.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2014, 06:27 AM »
If you are not good at de-boning a northern, try this:  fillet the fish normally. After the rib cage is removed, take the fillet by the tail and insert index finger next to the ventral line. Its the reddish stripe along the fillet. Then peel the fillet in half. Don't forget to remove that  the line by peeling it of and discard. Now you have two pieces out of one fillet, belly meat (bone free) and the back strap (y bone). Now I usually will take the back strap and grind it into fish panties (as mentioned) or pickle them. Either way, the bones are ground OR dissolved. As for the belly meat, you can now pan fry them.

When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2014, 07:22 AM »
The water it came out of has a lot to do with the flavor.  I've had brook trout that were inedible that came from a beaver pond with a muddy bottom. They tasted like mud.  Pike from clean cold water can't be beat.  The meat is firm and flakey not mushy.  There are plenty of videos on you tube showing how to make boneless fillets. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.