Author Topic: Help deciding which Go Pro hero to buy please  (Read 945 times)

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help deciding which Go Pro hero to buy please
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I've been wanting a Go Pro for a while now to record some fishing, camping and hiking adventures, and might treat myself to one for Xmas if I can find one for the right price. I've done some research and know the Go Pro hero 4 is the newest one out and best pic quality but to save a few bucks the Hero 3+black seems comparable and obviously cheaper being the older model and decent enough to go with . 
Anyone have either model and or opinions on them?
Anyone know any good deals going on right now?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Help deciding which Go Pro hero to buy please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Their are some other model of action cameras out there ...I got a Vivatar  787 from Walmart for 50 bucks(seems out of stock now) ...came with a lot of mounts ...which are compatible with GoPro ...the sound with the water proof case is not good at all ...not certain the go pro would be any better ...most videos of GoPro audio quality didn't help me make a good conclusion ..most were narrated after... others had music over top the audio ...but for the price the Vivatar shoots decent video for my purposes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 12:46 PM »
I have the 3+,it takes some fantastic pictures. I'm also going to modify one of the dive cases this season and use it for double duty as an underwater Wifi fish cam. There are not any significant differences imo between the new 4 and 3+. If you canfind ssome good deals on the 3+ black edition you will have a great camera Thst you will use often.

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:02 PM »
I got the hero 3 white, this spring. I took it out lobster in this summer and mounted it all over the boat, took it white water rafting, going to do some  video on the ice. Under water video is really clear, easy and fun to use good pics. Only 199$ I'm going to stick one of the mounts on the hood of my snow mobile this winter and park in front of the trap so it records everything. I have the headlamp mount, pretty nice, dive case too. Make sure you get the floating back for it!! They sink..

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I have the 3+,it takes some fantastic pictures. I'm also going to modify one of the dive cases this season and use it for double duty as an underwater Wifi fish cam. There are not any significant differences imo between the new 4 and 3+. If you canfind ssome good deals on the 3+ black edition you will have a great camera Thst you will use often.

I thought about the samething. What does the WiFi give you the ability to see what the camera see on your phone or tablet or something?

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I got the hero 3 white, this spring. I took it out lobster in this summer and mounted it all over the boat, took it white water rafting, going to do some  video on the ice. Under water video is really clear, easy and fun to use good pics. Only 199$ I'm going to stick one of the mounts on the hood of my snow mobile this winter and park in front of the trap so it records everything. I have the headlamp mount, pretty nice, dive case too. Make sure you get the floating back for it!! They sink..

Haha good to know . I'll definitely invest in one because I plan on using it summer time to on my kayak so that would be a bummer way of losing it lol. How much do they run?

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Just so you know the wifi functions will not work while the camera is underwater. Also the floaty backdoor runs around 15 bucks. They are great cameras for what they are.

Offline Tmaida17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Just so you know the wifi functions will not work while the camera is underwater. Also the floaty backdoor runs around 15 bucks. They are great cameras for what they are.

I was wondering if it would and didn't think it would but would have been pretty sweet if it did lol. That's not to bad of a price. Thanks!!

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:21 PM »
The cheapest option right now is the new GoPro Hero which is only $129.99. It is same as Hero3 White but without wifi and the battery is integrated.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1078011&gclid=CjwKEAiAh7WkBRCQj-_zwZvk52ISJADj7z8C89QyVRz4h0SE2r6yS6zSLXK2q7a4wsRpxc9xXol6hRoC2aLw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I have the hero 3 black. I love it. The battery life isn't all that great but with the backup backpack it's not bad. The 4 had the LCD screen which will definitely put a strain on the battery. Cold temps already hinder battery life. I would try for the 3+ black. It's a good unit. Also the sound quality with the waterproof back door isn't that bad.
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline kevinmaine3

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:12 PM »
I really want the screen on the back,it does suck taking  pictures with nothing to look at, not sure what your taking a pic of.. need the screen..

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:13 PM »
For price I was looking at 3 silver.   How long does the battery last typically? 

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:30 PM »
You cant go wrong with the newest no frills GoPro thats just called HERO. Smaller and sleeker, easier interface to use. Gray color, cool looking excellent cam. I think its great instead of just bigger more feature packed expensive, they went basic simple easy less clutter.
AND its only $129.00     cheers

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:27 PM »
For price I was looking at 3 silver.   How long does the battery last typically?
three hours and a bit, depending on how new the battery is. After a ton of research, I went with the 3+ silver. I use the wifi on my iPhone to see what's on the gopro, control it and change settings.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:41 PM »
You cant go wrong with the newest no frills GoPro thats just called HERO. Smaller and sleeker, easier interface to use. Gray color, cool looking excellent cam. I think its great instead of just bigger more feature packed expensive, they went basic simple easy less clutter.
AND its only $129.00     cheers

That's a nice price ..and a nice unit . You guys that have the Go Pro units how good is the sound ...with/with out the housings if set up 5 or so feet away are you able to record decent sound like a conversation etc .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:47 PM »
That's a nice price ..and a nice unit . You guys that have the Go Pro units how good is the sound ...with/with out the housings if set up 5 or so feet away are you able to record decent sound like a conversation etc .
Excellent sound. I use the waterproof housing, borrowed it to my son in law to tape his hockey game( he's a goalie, clamped it to the center cross bar) I put the skeleton door on for him. A bit of sound difference, not enough to make me use it on the ice. I also use it to catch release footage underwater, so the skeleton door is out of the question.

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I use my hero 3+ black with the battery backpack.. Lasts quite a while, even with Wifi on. There is a mod you can do which will allow the Wifi to work underwater, allowing you to both view and control the camera with your smartphone or tablet.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:32 AM »
I bought the Hero 4 Silver when they came out. I wasn't planning on dropping that much coin when I was in the market for a GoPro, but after seeing the screen on back I pulled the trigger. Video quality & sound are unbelievable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.