Author Topic: Dawg Bone tipups  (Read 1985 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dawg Bone tipups
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:31 AM »
i saw some at the local walmart, at only 8 bucks i figured it was worth a shot so i picked one up.

fiddling around with the trigger mechanism, it looks like they should be light enough to use for perch and crappie, maybe even bluegill. anyone had any experience with them yet? i'll be testing them out all season on everything from bluegill to catfish, so i'll be sure to get pictures.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dawg Bone tipups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:24 AM »
I picked one up a couple of years ago when they first came out.  I used it for perch and walleye.  Had no problem with the perch tripping them.  I really like the size of them.  And for 8 dollars, you can't go wrong.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Be careful what size hole you put them in. I know a regular polar can go down a 10 inch hole. Not often but it has happened enough.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:50 AM »
Use hole covers and they won't go in.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2014, 09:26 AM »
bought 2 last year , and there they sit next to the other tip ups i dont use. hate flags!

Offline fishnbud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:09 AM »
i have used mine for a few years there my go to tipups , easy setup and takedown.  my kids prefer because ease of use and they can take a beating haven't broken one yet.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:30 AM »
set it up today for trout, didn't get any flags, but also didn't get any false alarms, as it was a VERY windy day. big plus considering how sensitive the trigger system seems to be.

i don't have an issue with hole size since i only use 8" holes anyway.

my other "regular" shaped tipups had some issues with reel tension, and a couple of screws that lost a bit of tension during unpacking and setting up. not something i ran into with the Dawg Bone.

all in all, i liked it! would've liked to catch a fish on it, but that'll have to come later. it was a really slow day anyways.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:52 PM »
For perch, walleye and pike I've been happy with the way perform. Don't take up much space for storage either.

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2014, 12:17 PM »
I've used them for a few years for gills, perch, and smallies and they're worked great.  They've help up very well too, considering the pounding we put on them.  I have an 8" auger, and haven't lost any down a hole yet either.

Offline Fishin Friesz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Same report from me. Have used them for a couple years now and seem to work great. Very smooth, and very compact. Like has been said in the post you absolutely can't go wrong for the price!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2015, 09:11 PM »
finally got a chance to use them in earnest today, absolutely nailed the trout on them. they actually ran smoother and set up faster than some of my other tipups.

i found out just how sensitive they can be today when one kept tripping over and over, no wind or anything. finally figured it out when i checked the bait and discovered a 5" perch with his jaws clamped tight around the end of a piece of worm we were using for bait-the little guy wasn't even hooked!

sturdy, simple, lightweight, compact, and sensitive; with a great price to boot! i'm calling these 10/10- absolutely love 'em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.