Author Topic: Leader Line  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Leader Line
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Trying to decide on what type of leader line I want to run on my tipups this year and looking for your opinions.  I don't like using steel leaders.  I switched from steel leaders to 20 lb mono and the amount of flags I got tripled.  I think the steel leaders don't give the minnow as much action and I believe the pike see the leader a lot better and shy away from it.  Last year I bumped it up to 25 and then eventually 30 lb. mono and still got bit off several times.  The break always happens on the hookset so I know its the teeth breaking the line and not because I'm fighting the fish incorrectly.  I'm trying to decide between 30 lb mono or 20 lb braid like PowerPro.  I know the PowerPro will freeze but I will only be using 18-24" of leader line so I'm not concerned with that.  The 20 lb test braid is only 6 lb diameter but I don't believe the teeth would cut this as easily.  The braid would look similar to a steel leader but obviously be smaller in diameter.  Just curious what you guys think would be better between these 2 options.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Leader Line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:55 PM »
There are numerous posts about this topic lately.  Just my 2 cents, I don't think Pike care about seeing the leader at all, they are extreme predators to the point where they are cannibalistic, so I'm just not convinced about that.  Yes, I suppose it may alter your bait presentation slightly if you are using very small bait which could affect your flag production certain times of year.  With all that being said,  I have used steel for the last couple years (since I started targeting pike) and done fairly well, however; I'm going to experiment with Knot 2 Kinky titanium and a Flouro fused with nylon, not just coated, to see if I notice any differences.  I have a friend who gets a fair amount of bites on 50# mono but has many many break offs, but it's hard to compare between two different fisherman with two different techniques.  I use all circle hooks so that may cut down on losses while setting, who knows.  There are so many factors people could use to support each side. I would say If you think the fish care about seeing the leader to go with Flouro over mono, it's much more abrasion resistant, doesn't absorb water, and is usually thinner in diameter.  I would also say to shorten up your leader, no need for anything longer than a foot for pike in my opinion, just offering up more leader material to rub the sides of the hole and break off when it gets close.  As far as braid, it's opaque, just use steel.  How heavy is the steel you're using? Maybe go to a smaller # test.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:19 PM »
I disagree on them seeing the leader and not caring.  This doesn't explain why my amount of flags tripled when I made the switch and was fishing in the same areas.  I haven't used steel leaders in probably 5-6 years.  I've seen a lot of underwater videos where the pike will get close enough to inspect the bait and almost put their nose on the bait.  I used 50# mono for flies on Lake Michigan targeting king salmon and 50# mono is tricky to tie a knot on especially in the cold.  I'm trying to continue getting as many flags as I have been getting but reducing the amount of bite offs.  I usually don't set the hook until the 2nd run when I get a flag.  By doing this I get many more hooks up and a lot fewer misses but this usually always means my bait is hooked deep allowing more of my line to be on their teeth.  Obviously I want the hook in the corner of their mouth where I don't have to worry about their teeth and then have no problems landing a pike even on 10 lb test.  Problem is you don't hook many fish on their 2nd run in the corner of their mouths.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:23 PM »
All of the really good pike fisherman I know, the guys that go after the 20lb plus fish...they all use either mono or flouro.  They use either heavy (40-60lb) mono or flouro or 20lb flouro.   

Braid is a terrible leader material, any slight abrasion and it looses all of its shock strength.   I can't tell you how many hammer handle pickerel bite off my bass topwaters in the summer and I use 65lb power pro.

I don't fish for pike much with tipups, but when i do, I use 40lb or 50lb big game with a #6 treble, I hustle over as soon as the flag goes off, set the hook as soon as I get to the tipup, almost never get bit off and the pike are never hooked deep. 

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for the help.  I think I'm going to bump up to 40 or 50 lb mono for my leader.  Was looking online and the difference between 30 and 40 lb test is only .02 in diameter.  I think I will try the 50.  I will post my results for you guys and hopefully some pictures.  I'm hoping the thicker line doesn't decrease my number of flags.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:58 AM »
As said before, look at using Flouro. It is MUCH more abrasion resistant than mono. Mono's strength is on it surface, flouro all the way thru. Hence, small nick in mono, you loose a lot of strength, small nick in flouro and you only loose a small amount of strength... I am talking about flouro leader Mat. like Seaguard...

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2014, 10:56 AM »
make sure you straighten it out before you put your bait on.  running it under your boot will work, or you can use pliers or your sounder to hold the hook and pull the line tight.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:34 PM »
If you are going to use fluoro make sure you use the leader material and not just the fluoro line it makes a huge difference.... the leader material is stronger

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2014, 03:32 AM »
If you are going to use fluoro make sure you use the leader material and not just the fluoro line it makes a huge difference.... the leader material is stronger

X2

WS

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2014, 04:12 PM »
A pike will cut through 20-30lb power pro braided line like it's nothing. I've had a pike do this too me while targeting them on a river.

Offline Fishking83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I purchased a spool of 50# mono.  I looked at several floro's and it seemed like most of them didn't go above 20 lb. test.  I never looked for "leader material" though either.  I really don't need a spool since I'll only be using 18" at a time.  I'm hoping the additional thickness of the line will turn a few of those bite off's into a nick in the line and I can just retie after a fish.  Thanks again for the advice.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Just like surf fishing I tie up several leaders ahead of time. Some stores split up their line for ffresh ans salt water. If that is the case, check the saltwater section for flouro over 20lb. I personally prefer the 40lb seaguar blue label.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2014, 09:50 PM »
For pike, I did some experimenting last year comparing steel to fluoro.  Based on the number of flags I got with each, I decided fluoro was better hands-down.  Never got bit off all season, and that was after catching many fish on the same leaders.  After a while, I noticed some frays, so I swapped out leaders using the quick snaps I have on each rig.  I always had extra leaders with me on the ice, so no time was lost swapping them out.  I use 60 lb fluoro leader material to make the rigs, and I only use a crimp to attach terminal tackle.  No knots.  That's my setup, and I'm happy with it.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Order a spool of Offshore Fluoro Leader material from BPS.  Keep it in a plastic tote, away from sunlight.  I have a spool that is 10 years old, and it is fine.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:27 AM »
  I have always been told to use fluoro leader material, but you are right most places, gander, bps, don't go over 20 lb. I was told to shop in saltwater section, but haven't found it yet. post above suggests you can order it. I used 20 lb last year , and my biggest pike to date . broke off when =his head cleared the hole . kot did not fail, it just wouldn't support his weight, My buddies said they heard me cussing all the way to my truck

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Try these pages.

http://www.basspro.com/Fishing-Terminal-Tackle-Fishing-Line-Leaders/Type-Fluorocarbon-Leader/_/N-1z0uxahZ1z0v4iu
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/leader-material/_/N-1100389/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104130180?WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104719680

I would stay away from the Vanish but that's my personal preference I really like the Seguar blue label and the Cabelas brand which is made by Seguar. Fluorocarbon leader is almost always in spools of 25-30 yards or meters. Make sure to lubricate the knot before synching down.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Never use a super braid as a leader for pike, it is the absolute worst choice. If you are absolutely set on a clear leader, you have to get leader material. The stuff made for mainline is softer, and while more flexible, it is bitten off more easily. I have not noticed much difference in bite protection between mono and fluoro if they are both leader material. For fluorocarbon, I like seaguar, but you need to shop online for the heavy stuff. For mono I have had luck with Berkeley big game leader. Either way keep it over 40 pound test. Give some really light steel leaders like 10# or 15# test a try. If you have them out at the same time as the mono leaders, the pike will hardly notice.
-Tom

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:09 AM »
I've been using 30 pound Spider Wire EZ-Braid for the past six years and haven't had any problems.  The nice thing is it's 30 pound strength with 8 pound diameter.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:46 AM »
You would be better off with 10 pound mono. Braid offers next to no bite resistance at all.
-Tom

Offline grabsjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:20 PM »
sorry to refresh an "old" thread, but what if you are NOT targeting pike? i've got a bunch of small ponds that i plan to hit this year with mostly just bass/pickerel. would you consider something like 10lb fluoro for the leader?

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:30 PM »
A pike will cut through 20-30lb power pro braided line like it's nothing. I've had a pike do this too me while targeting them on a river.
Just had a pike cut through my Power Pro 30 lb line two days ago.Everything in life is a compromise and the only thing I know a pike won't bite through is a steel leader.

Offline adamg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2014, 07:07 PM »
All of the really good pike fisherman I know, the guys that go after the 20lb plus fish...they all use either mono or flouro.  They use either heavy (40-60lb) mono or flouro or 20lb flouro.   

Braid is a terrible leader material, any slight abrasion and it looses all of its shock strength.   I can't tell you how many hammer handle pickerel bite off my bass topwaters in the summer and I use 65lb power pro.

I don't fish for pike much with tipups, but when i do, I use 40lb or 50lb big game with a #6 treble, I hustle over as soon as the flag goes off, set the hook as soon as I get to the tipup, almost never get bit off and the pike are never hooked deep.
agreed . I like 3 foot of 40 lb fluorocarbon  leader

Offline adamg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2014, 07:11 PM »
If you are targeting bass then your leader won't matter much but targeting pickeral is totally different because of the razor teeth. A little steel wire is a good traditional pickrel choice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.