The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Nils or used gas auger?  (Read 1516 times)

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
New Nils or used gas auger?
« on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:33 AM »
Trying to decide between the two? I was convinced I was going to do the Nils bit I see a bunch of used gas augers on Craigslist for about the same price. Any recommendations? What should I look for in used augers?

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New Nils or used gas auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Myself, I'd go for a used gas auger. The more obvious things I'd look for are, good compression, and general appearance. Generally, the nicer it looks, probably means it was well cared for. And yes, there have been a lot of good deals on augers lately on c list. Good luck.

Offline nesd44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Gas.

Offline nesd44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Check pull cord for fraying, knicks.

Offline fishNdisc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:19 PM »
If you fish a lot, get a gas auger.  You should look for a used strike master mag 2000.  They tend to last forever.  Just my advice. 

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I would vote for the Nils.  It will always start,  ;D is much lighter, and cuts fast.  Unless the ice is really thick, or you cut  a lot of holes, you will be far ahead over the long term.  Even then, you can get a power head for it later, or an adapter for your cordless drill. 

Offline RubySwamp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Nils is my vote. No noise, no gas, no swearing when it doesn't start. If you jump and roam looking for fish this is the perfect tool.

Offline vdub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Save yourself the throuble and get a gas auger. Nils are stupid unless you are broke.
Signs your about to fall in...<br /><br /><br />i\'d say when your nipple deep and your tallwhacker is in your stomach your probablly goin in<br />

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Nils cuts fast and always runs. Yes you have to be carefull with it but a little common sense and you send you blade out to get sharpened at the end of the year you will have no problems

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:33 AM »
I appreciate all the advice! I agree with both views and remain undecided. My shoulders and hands are shot so I'm a little hesitant w the Nils but I'm sick and tired of gas operated equipment (2 snowblowers in the shop and a new mower w a blown motor in the garage!)! Obviously an electric auger would seem the best choice but I only have a budget of $200. I do have an Dewalt 18v drill so I would for sure go w the  convertible Nils. Can I buy the hardware to convert the Nils to a powerhead?

The one positive to a gas auger is I won't have to wait on shipping! This is my first season and have almost all my gear purchased and ready, so I'm pumped to hit the ice ASAP.
Does anyone know if they sell Nils at the St.Paul Ice Show?
Sorry for all the questions in one post...lol.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 03:43 PM »
I wouldn't go smaller than a 8", I just saw a Jiffy mod 30 on CL for $125 in Wausaw. A old jiffy mod 30 is a little heavy but bullet proof, I have been running mine going on 24 years.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:13 PM »
The Nils can run out of gas too!   ;D

Offline river_ratt99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:43 PM »
i live in menomonie and have both if you wanna try em side by side. lmk

Kyle_J

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:24 PM »
I have a gas and hand auger, i get more use out of the gas auger its nice when the ice is over a 12 inches and you want to punch a lot of holes.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2014, 03:35 PM »
What size auger are u looking for? What kind of fishing u gonna b doing? Drilling lots of holes consecutively? Or throwing in threes tip ups and calling it a day? Chasing pike mostly? Really like the 6" nils no matter how thick the ice. 8" nils gets a little tiring putting in tip ups for all ur buddies.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:12 AM »
I have a gas and hand auger, i get more use out of the gas auger its nice when the ice is over a 12 inches and you want to punch a lot of holes.

Well we already have about 10 inches of ice and it is only December 8, when it gets 24" thick or more you will be wishing you went the gas auger.

Offline bjacks50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:33 AM »
I've decided that I'm going to go with a used gas auger. Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.