Author Topic: Where is the closest safe ice to columbus ohio?  (Read 3044 times)

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where is the closest safe ice to columbus ohio?
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:27 AM »
Need to find some safe ice and I am willing to drive. Please help!

Offline toboso

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Where is the closest safe ice to columbus ohio?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Generally, the best/safest ice in central Ohio is found at Buckeye Lake and Indian Lake.  Sometimes these are the only lakes to get good ice during moderate winters (like we're seeing now).  Both lakes are relatively shallow, windswept dishpan swamps.  Both have been heavily stocked with saugeye and can be great for numbers of fish through the ice.

Indian Lake had 4-5" of clear ice after the first week of December this year when Buckeye only had ~2".  However, both lakes are heavily developed with private residences which means limited shore access and lots of aerators around the docks (homes & marinas).  It's best to follow the pack until you get your bearings.

During good winters ;D, Alum Creek can build enough ice for safe fishing.  It's a deep, clear reservoir with lots of weeds.  There are saugeye (and a few remnant walleye), crappie, and some yellow perch.  A sassy musky might also decide to eat your minnow from time to time...

I know a few guys who venture onto Hoover, but I don't recommend it unless you've gotten to know the water first.  I imagine Delaware can be fickle, too.

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Thanks for the info TOBOSO. Sounds like a Minnesota trip for now!

Offline toboso

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Not fair! ;D

Offline Erie addict

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:00 AM »
Went up to northern ohio wed and thurs. Fished around the east/west harbor area. Safe ice was there. caught numerous crappie, gills and perch. Also caught 3 largemouth. Some docks had bubblers and we stayed away from them. Thickest ice was 7". thursday it even snowed on us. kind of felt like winter.

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:37 AM »
Thanks Erie addict. Maybe I will head up on Sunday.

Offline WalleyeJones

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feeling Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Hello fellow Minnesotan! I lived in Minnesota for a couple years before I moved back to the greater Cincinnati area. My buddies in Duluth are preparing for the Brainerd Jaycee's Tournament coming up in a couple weeks. Minnesota icefishing doesn't compare to Ohio, but I will say that there sure are a lot less icefisherman. I was on Grand Lake this past Monday (6 inches) and I was the only guy I saw. The weather was perfect. Caught a few crappies and bluegills, but no walleye. Grand is a 14,000 acre lake (biggest in Ohio). Certainly worth the drive up 33. When I lived in Columbus I would drive right past Indian to go to Grand. I also hit Loraime on Monday. The ice was thin at the shore, but still 5" a few yards out. Loraime is a tiny lake, but it produces some quality fish. I got a three pound saugeye there last February below the spill way.

I thought about selling my Eskimo auger (10", 3HP) before I moved, but just couldn't part with it. I'm glad I didn't. I also think it's cool that I have all the little gadgets you can't find around here.

P.S. I have a secret saugeye spot. They put over 800,000 fingerlings in '04 and they're around 13" to 14" right now! If you don't mind a little drive from Columbus, hit me up when the ice gets better. Personally, I never found any lake around Columbus worth the hassle. Alum was the only one that produced.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Not sure if there is anything between here and there but over the New Year I got on 7" of ice on Lake Mitchell in Cadillac, Michigan.  We caught some perch but they were on the small side 7"-8" and did see 6 pike taken on shiners that were 18"-30".  Lake Cadillac also had good ice and I heard they were getting some walleye but I did not fish it myself.  My brothe lives in Columbus and I think its around a 6 hour trip for him.  Its a long drive but its ice.  If you want any more info let me know.  By the way there are alot of other small lakes in that area that have ice also if bluegill and bass are your thing.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2006, 03:52 PM »
Thanks Swantucky. At this point a 6 hr drive may be worth it just to walk on some ice!

Offline WalleyeJones

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Feeling Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Minnesotaboy-

I got your PM, but was unable to reply. For some reason IceShanty gave me an error. Anyway, it looks like it will be a few weeks before we're on any hardwater in Ohio. I was at my "spot" on Monday. Half the lake was open water and I imagine the other half is by now. None of it was safe enough to put a foot on. I did manage to catch several gills and a couple nice crappie (all 12' deep). No saugeye from shore though.

I'll say this, I heard they're getting some saugeye off/under one of the two bridges at Lake Loramie. I'm sure it got muddied up, but may be clearing by now. I also know a spot where the trout are always biting. Once the ice gets frozen though, the perennial production lake has been Grand Lake. It's perch population is really peaking. Some over 13". Walleye (true walleye, not saugeye) are being caught over 18". And it has a strong population of crappie. There's even a few hammer handles (pike) and striper. I can't imagine catching a striper through the ice. But if I ever get one on, I'll be glad I have that 10" Eskimo! Of course, I can only speak of South, Central, and Western Ohio.

I'll take you up on your offer...it's just a matter of waiting now.

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Walley Jones just say the word! Actually the word is Ice!

Offline pole_smoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Try minnesota

Offline minnesotaboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:51 AM »
Im on my way!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.