Author Topic: Snow will fall on open water!!  (Read 1285 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snow will fall on open water!!
« on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:43 AM »
 ;D :tipup: Snow isn't good when it weighs down new ice.  So its good new that Thanksgiving snow will land on open water.   It might even chill the water in preparation for a forecast entire week of freezing but snowless  days.   My plans to get on the ice during the first week of December are on again :tipup: :tipup: 
I just ordered a new pair of  Trekker diamond creepers because the first ice is going to be clear and glassy.  I don't intend to fall down and hurt my new tungsten/titanium knee just as another long season begins.
Happy Turkey Day
Dick

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
Re: Snow will fall on open water!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I just told my wife the same thing this morning about the ice going away with the rain and warm weather we had and the snow should cool down the water more so these cold nights should be making ice. Not sure about first week of Dec. but we should be out there before xmas. Unless your up north like the guys in Maine already fishing...lucky guys.

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Nothing worse than 6 inches of snow on 2 inches of ice, that warm weather and rain may have been a blessing in disguise. It's always nice to get some thick black ice down before our first blizz...  makes me feel a lot safer on the wheeler the rest of the year! COME ON COLD WEATHER LET'S GO
Let it freeze

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:57 PM »
;D :tipup: Snow isn't good when it weighs down new ice.  So its good new that Thanksgiving snow will land on open water.   It might even chill the water in preparation for a forecast entire week of freezing but snowless  days.   My plans to get on the ice during the first week of December are on again :tipup: :tipup: 
I just ordered a new pair of  Trekker diamond creepers because the first ice is going to be clear and glassy.  I don't intend to fall down and hurt my new tungsten/titanium knee just as another long season begins.
Happy Turkey Day
Dick

I have two of those myself, just got mine in June. hopefully we will have no accidents involving  our new Magic legs.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:33 PM »
 ::) ::) "magic leg"??  I will have to think about that.  One was enough for me.  I don't think I will ever do my second knee!!
Lucky that most ice fishing involves only walking on level surface.
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 12:48 PM »
 ;D ;D :tipup:  OK!  North country received 6 or 7 inches of heavy snow.  Checked ponds this morning and they were covered with inch or two of sloppy snow.  It was so soft that there were diver ducks swimming and feeding in it.  I have hopes that 19 degrees tonight will freeze it but I don't know what kind of ice it will form?   I've never watched slush freeze early.  Hope it won't insulate the freezing water?  But 6 degree temp tomorrow night should be the beginning of  serious ice formation and a really long season.  Forecast is for below freezing temps well into next week.   My last week of duck hunting will keep me occupied while I wait for safe ice. 
Right now I have to turn over my 25 lb. turkey and open a variety of wine.  Five different pies for desert. 
Next week my wife is headed to Mexico to watch birds and she wants me to have fish fillets ready when she gets home in mid December!
Life is looking good right now!! ;D
Enjoy your turkey and foot ball! ;D
Dick :tipup: :tipup:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:22 AM »
Dick hope you had a good turkey day and still have some of that variety of wine left. ;D So I guess it will be pizza for supper next week. ::) Thanks for the report.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:32 AM »
 ::)Your not supposed to mention the pizza thing.  What if Mary was looking over my shoulder at your post :-\
Still snowing here.  Slush has 1/2 inch of ice under it.  I will definitely go back to duck hunting next week!  I can bring cold pizza to the duck blind??
Dick

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Dick, you can bring cold pizza any where! In fact we had a feed last night - after all that turkey, stuffing, pies,etc. The wife and I opped for a rewarmed pizza lunch. Excellent! Back to hot turkey sandwichs for supper. Next Saturday night - back to New England -  beans and tube steak!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:50 PM »
 ;D ;D Some of us really know about gourmet food.  You have a wife with good taste ::) in men and food!
Dick

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Thank you, Sir. There are those of us that love fine food and fine women. Forty three years  ago 11/26/71. Best decision I ever made!!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:57 AM »
 ;D :tipup: :tipup:  As I had hoped the Thanksgiving snow either disappeared into open water or created 2" of floating slush.
At noon today my local trout pond was covered with one and half inch of hard ice.  Its too much ice to lose to a little freezing rain forecast for Wed.  The rain might even provide a little surface water to freeze at 27 degrees Wed. night.
My scientific calculations forecast that we might have three and a half inches of hard ice by Sunday.   That's still one half inch less than my 240 lb. bulk requires for safety. 
On Fri. I hope to get out far enough to chisel a big chunk for a scaled measurement.  I don't think anyone listened but last season I asked anyone reporting "safe ice" (3 - 4 inches) to send a photo with ruler at ice.   Last year I followed up on two north country reports of 4 inches + and found a bare 2"??   When I found 3" in the Mountains I read reports of 5 to 6 inches in southern NH?? ??? ::)
Some people believe eveyrthing they read ::)
I think this is it this time??
Dick

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Last year I followed up on two north country reports of 4 inches + and found a bare 2"??   When I found 3" in the Mountains I read reports of 5 to 6 inches 

I've got a stellar comeback for this comment, but I need to remember kids are around  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:26 AM »
;D :tipup: :tipup:  As I had hoped the Thanksgiving snow either disappeared into open water or created 2" of floating slush.
At noon today my local trout pond was covered with one and half inch of hard ice.  Its too much ice to lose to a little freezing rain forecast for Wed.  The rain might even provide a little surface water to freeze at 27 degrees Wed. night.
My scientific calculations forecast that we might have three and a half inches of hard ice by Sunday.   That's still one half inch less than my 240 lb. bulk requires for safety. 
On Fri. I hope to get out far enough to chisel a big chunk for a scaled measurement.  I don't think anyone listened but last season I asked anyone reporting "safe ice" (3 - 4 inches) to send a photo with ruler at ice.   Last year I followed up on two north country reports of 4 inches + and found a bare 2"??   When I found 3" in the Mountains I read reports of 5 to 6 inches in southern NH?? ??? ::)
Some people believe eveyrthing they read ::)
I think this is it this time??
Dick

Dick when did you become a scientist? 240 lbs. and the pizza till mid-December. Better add another inch to the ice.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Unkind - but, most likely true - remember the beer with that pizza. It's OK Dick, Mexico is a long ways away.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:39 PM »
 ::) ::)  OK!  Now you guys are starting to sound like my wife :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.