The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Advice on jiffy for sale  (Read 689 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Advice on jiffy for sale
« on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:34 PM »
Found a jiffy 3.0 for sale for 100 bucks. It was made in 2003. He says its runs but could use adjustment. Assuming just a good carb cleaning or rebuild. I have an old model 30 that runs great. Just couldnt remember when they quit using the tecumseh motor. Advice on this purchase? I dont really need it just always looking for a backup or two or three. Ha. Says the blade is good but not relying too much on that. Most likely replace it. Looks to be in decent shape. Nothing great.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Advice on jiffy for sale
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 11:09 PM »
If you can get your hands on it, test the compression with a few very slow pulls. A little resistance that releases and catches is a good thing.  It seems to me anything else is a renewable parts fix. 
That you even consider an 11 YO machine sorta tells me you're handy.
All a plus.        ;)2

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:27 AM »
$100 for any auger that will run is OK with me. Like Idahogator said though test the compression.
<===Lefty===

Offline OntarioRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:37 AM »
I bought the same aged auger a couple years ago for $150 (CAD) and the thing runs great. The guy told me it ran rough and had since he bought it. All I did was wait for an average cold day and set the carbs on that day. Starts and runs great now.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:42 PM »
They had the tecumseh motors till '08 I believe. $100 is probably a good buy for it. A lot of them out there and with proper care and maintenance may outlive many of the augers built today. I would not hesitate... just the auger bit and blade alone are worth that.
It must be something in the water.

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I have an old Jiffy 30 that was purchased new in 1982 (~$230).  I hadn't used it for several years but stored it dry.  Last year (coldest winter I can remember) It fired right up and ran great all season.  I did have to lean it out a bit when I switched to Amsoil Sabre synthetic oil at 75:1 instead of the old 24:1 specified ratio with 2-cycle mineral oil.  Those old Jiffies will run forever with a new spark plug every few years. :)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:31 AM »
I picked up a Jiffy White Lightning off CL locally for $100.  This thing was used so little that the stickers are still on the drill unit, and it runs great.  I picked it up for my buddy, but I just might keep it myself.  Ha ha

Just take a good look at it and run it.  As long as it wasnt abused, you should be OK.  My last Jiffy lasted hard 25 years before it gave up the ghost.

Good luck
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.