New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Good Day!  (Read 1368 times)

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good Day!
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 05:27 AM »
 :)  I had a good day yesterday on Stony Pond, just outside of Tupper Lake.  Not that I caught a lot of fish, 3 pike and 5 perch, but there was an eagle there who was waiting for me to "give him lunch."  I gave him one of my shiners (would have given him more but I didn't have a lot of 'em).  He hung around till I caught a pike.  I threw it out on the ice and he scooped  it up!  AWSOME!   Naturally, I didn't have my camera.  There was 7 to 9 inches of ice in two layers on the pond.
Mike

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
Re: Good Day!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:02 AM »
how big was that pike you fed him?  bring the camara next time will yah LOL

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Oh, I don't know.......about 19 or 20 inches.  I went back today and caught more pike and a lot more perch.  The last pike of the day was about 30 inches long and was nice and wide across the back along with a fat belly.  Must have been full of eggs.  I let her go.
Mike

JasonUpstate

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:04 PM »
Last year I was fishing a lake up in sullivan county and this bald eagle nests in the woods near by... What a site... the eagle would swoop down upon the ice looking for my perch... I wish I had a camera with me. One of the more memorable moments on the ice...

Offline icedauber

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:04 AM »
Last year we were fishing Goodyear Lake in Colliersville Ny. Baldy came out after some of our perch that were laying on the ice. My buddy jigged up a large creek chub. I took the chub and tossed it towards the bald. He came so close to me getting the chub that I clould hear the air between the wing feathers. A lot of fun!!!
Flag Up!!!

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:44 AM »
    We have a Red Tailed hawk nesting near where we fish on the Hudson River near Troy. The lazy thing just perches there waiting to be fed darn near anything. The air from its wings will knock over a full can of beer.
    This past season on the Salmon River there was an Osprey taking fish too. I have Bald Eagles nesting near my woods in Medusa/Rennselearville, in Southern Albany County, and we have what appears to be a Golden Eagle that shows up at the swamp a few hundred yards behind Sherry's house in Carlisle, Schoharie County.
     It's good to see these birds recovering as they are. I just wish they'd eat the blinkin' Cormorants that are eatin' all the Herring we use as bait for the Stripers on the Hudson.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:57 AM »
I have had similar experiences with ospreys in Oregon. They are truly magnificent raptors! It's good to hear that we have them here.
I'll definitely be watching for them.

Offline butterworm

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • the presidents office.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2005, 11:41 AM »
man. that would have been cool to watch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.