Author Topic: Tip up build- Plastic or Metal spool?  (Read 2916 times)

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip up build- Plastic or Metal spool?
« on: Nov 23, 2014, 05:59 AM »
Here's the back story... I'd like to build personalized stick tip ups for Christmas presents for family members.  I've scrounged the site and got great tips already, however, I'm stuck when it comes to the spool.  I've only used metal so I don't have a good feel for plastic.

The tip ups will be used 99% of the time for Northerns in water under 50'

Yes, purchasing tip ups is probably cheaper in some cases, however I'm not interested in that.

Advice from members that have used both metal and plastic spools is greatly appreciated!!!  If you want to share your advice with your own built tilts, that is welcome, too!!! :tipup:

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Tip up build- Plastic or Metal spool?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I've fished with both plastic and metal.  The performance is equal.  I do believe the aluminum spools are more durable.  If you're into building/ modding tip-ups for gifts etc. I'd go metal and polish the metal to a brilliant shine.  I have done the same thing in the past, and my tip-ups have held up nicely.  I've used stainless steel hardware, aluminum spools, and a high gloss poly finish.  Good luck.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I both metal ans plastic spools on my tip-ups. I prefer the plastic but the metal takes more abuse. Not that I go out of my way to do it. I dropped one of my plastic spool ones and a big chunk broke off rendering it useless.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I am in the process of building my own tip ups as well.  I am going with the metal spool since they seem to be more durable.  I'd assume they are better in extreme cold as well.  Once that plastic gets really cold I'd bet it can break or chip pretty easy.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 12:46 PM »
All my lakers have plastic spools, Never had one break,  I keep new spares with me. Still in package.

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:43 PM »
I'm also building or retro fitting some Does anyone know where to get parts for the polar style tip ups I got a bass pro tip up for $10 and replaced the plastic with oak

icewagon

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2014, 04:23 PM »
5 Bucks will buy you a HT Enterprise black plastic tip up ready for line. It will catch any fish in the lake and last prolly longer than you or I.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:20 AM »
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start ordering supplies today. Have narrowed hardware down and will be using a mixture of Jack Trap, HT, 40-up, and stainless throughout.  For the wood, I'm thinking of going with Birdseye Maple or Quartersawn Red Oak--that will be a decision made at the mill.  Can't wait to begin this build!  Will post pictures when I am in the process!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:13 AM »
cant wait to see the pics.  Ive got some left over Epay wood from my deck, and i'll be using that for a few new tips.  I know they will be heavy, but they should last a long time. Looking at the hardware options and will be placing that order this week!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.