The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ATV Chains  (Read 1002 times)

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ATV Chains
« on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:39 AM »
Places to get chains?
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline NorthernFishFinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ATV Chains
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I too have the Peerless 4-Link chains (I didn't get them at Cabellas, though) on my 2013 Polaris Sportsman and I have no complaints.  Price was right and they definitely do the job.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:24 AM »
these are the best chains ive ever seen or used, they lock onto the tire like treebark. very aggressive and no tire slap, worth every penny

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/collections/atv-tire-chains/products/205-80-12-atv-studded-diamond-tire-chain

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:53 AM »
these are the best chains ive ever seen or used, they lock onto the tire like treebark. very aggressive and no tire slap, worth every penny

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/collections/atv-tire-chains/products/205-80-12-atv-studded-diamond-tire-chain

I have similar ones - the vbar instead of the studded.  While they seem to do a good job, I wasn't thrilled about them instantly rusting.  They aren't plated like most other chains I've seen.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I have similar ones - the vbar instead of the studded.  While they seem to do a good job, I wasn't thrilled about them instantly rusting.  They aren't plated like most other chains I've seen.

they do rust but the skidder system closure will not come apart like the regular atv chains. ive had others fall off, break, both stabilizers on my polaris are bent from the other style chains flapping around. and they are twice as heavey as my old vbars with the cross links. my only complaint is that you need the written directions printed out when installing as its not as easy an install but it beats throwing a chain and putting the chain back on out on the ice

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:35 AM »
I have used the Ones like sold at Cabelas for many years. No problems coming off. Let the air down when installing then air up to get a good tight fit. I was thinking of maybe getting something different.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Figure out what "kind" of chains you want and look on EBAY.  Sometimes there are good deals.  Two-link chains are way better than 4.  Get them on snug and use chain tighteners on them.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I have used the Ones like sold at Cabelas for many years. No problems coming off. Let the air down when installing then air up to get a good tight fit. I was thinking of maybe getting something different.

i have the long x2 1000 pound polaris, the extra weight and the longer base put more stress on the chains and i dont trailer it much so its thru the woods and down the river to the lake going as fast as possible to not get stuck. those chains i had were stretching and breaking. these skidder type chains are beasts compared to the other style. with these you put them on tire inflated, start the machine and rip out in the snow or sand and they tighten right up, no slapping and you can go as fast as you want with them which is nice when crossing the big bay on sebago

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I have cabelas---no problems yet....what happened to that coyote thread.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:46 AM »
I got mine on Ebay. It was the cheapest I could find and they worked great! They got me out 9 miles on Erie last year without a problem!
One thing though, if you are pulling a sled with a rope...don't hit the breaks and then take off again. My chains grabbed the tow rope on a two man fish trap and proceeded to coil it up and slam the shanty into the hitch and rear end causing some damage!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.