The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: I.F.O.Y. 2015  (Read 1984 times)

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
I.F.O.Y. 2015
« on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:27 PM »
 Well first post for me this year. Its getting closer everday to the 2015 IFOY this season and was woundering if anyone has heard from Tiny Tim? I know i have heard of some talk that possiblly other members would take over if needed wich i think would be great. I would like to see this event get back to the way it was years ago!! I understanding that there was not even a banquet last year? So where did the money go to from the people who prepaid? Just somethings to think about. I will start of by nominating Sawyer Josh to run IFOY and Ice women to be the banquet coordinator. And maybee we could think about turning some of the meet and greets to like a derby style to help with banquet cost as well so that 2015 will have the potential to be the biggest and best from years past. maybee it might even get the old schoil people excited about this site again. Atleast i hope so its worth thinking about anyhow...

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
Re: I.F.O.Y. 2015
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I second those motions, Lloyd. I would like to make 2015 my first banquet.
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline JustForTheHalibut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:48 AM »
Sounds good to me
you gotta hook em to cook em

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:36 AM »
Well first post for me this year. Its getting closer everday to the 2015 IFOY this season and was woundering if anyone has heard from Tiny Tim? I know i have heard of some talk that possiblly other members would take over if needed wich i think would be great. I would like to see this event get back to the way it was years ago!! I understanding that there was not even a banquet last year? So where did the money go to from the people who prepaid? Just somethings to think about. I will start of by nominating Sawyer Josh to run IFOY and Ice women to be the banquet coordinator. And maybee we could think about turning some of the meet and greets to like a derby style to help with banquet cost as well so that 2015 will have the potential to be the biggest and best from years past. maybee it might even get the old schoil people excited about this site again. Atleast i hope so its worth thinking about anyhow...

The money that was collected for the IFOY 2013 banquet went towards kid's trophies and a nonrefundable deposit on a hall. 2014 tickets will be honored for 2015.

The 2015 IFOY banquet is on for this season and will be in Auburn at the VFW across from Dag's this April, the hall is already payed for regardless if anyone shows up or not.

If Brenda wants to be the function coordinator that's fine with me. We could use more help.

It will be great if anyone wants to do any kind of fund raising to help support the banquet. Extra funds could be rolled into door prizes or maybe set up a Team Maine account to make future tickets more affordable, or set up more events, or even a charity to outfit new ice fishing youth. If enough money is generated than these banquets could start to be a free affair.

-Dylan

Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:32 AM »
 :) Awesome Dylan. I Did not know this was being worked on. Great ideas. Glad to see that this could actually be a benificial to possibly the comunity also. Anything. i can do to help let me know. I really think we need to do a iceshanty fishing derby, that would be a great day!!

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 01:00 PM »
:) Awesome Dylan. I Did not know this was being worked on. Great ideas. Glad to see that this could actually be a benificial to possibly the comunity also. Anything. i can do to help let me know. I really think we need to do a iceshanty fishing derby, that would be a great day!!

Not day but a GREAT WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2014, 03:25 PM »
I'd like to hear from the leadership  ???

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:44 PM »

You mean like the guvnah?  The official Iceshanty.com position is the same as it has always been. the banquet and IFOY are both member activities and while we will help with the boards it is up to the members to make it happen .Josh is working on a few ideas for the IFOY, and Dags has really stepped up to insure that the banquet will go on. All members are encouraged to get involved and help however they can.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Hi everyone.  No one has heard much from Tiny so I volunteered to do IFOY this year. I plan to pretty much keep it the same although I was thinking of getting rid of best set up, best shack, best photo and best video mainly because there had not been a ton of entries in the past.  I do always like to see some of the videos people make so maybe we can have a video thread somewhere.  I know people complain about the sand baggers, I never really like it either but I am not planning to make a rule against it. Also while I was planning a kid section and adult section, if a kid places top 3 in the adult category they get that trophy too. Kudos to them if they can fish better than us!  I am open to any and all suggestions or concerns but keep in mind I'm trying to keep it fun and also simple so I am not changing a bunch of stuff.  I will get everything organized and spelled out in the next couple weeks.  I have always had fun in this friendly competition and hope more of you participate.  I also would like to say you don't have to come to the banquet to participate. The more the merrier!  If you can't make it to the banquet but win a trophy we'll figure out a way for you to get it. See you on the ice!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Sawyerjosh has always had a passion for the IFOY so it is only fitting that he is at the helm. Also I will contribute in anyway that is needed whether it be josh and the IFOY or for Dylan and Dag's bait for the banquet. My services are here (just don't tell the wife as I'm sure she has a list of things to keep me busy  ;D  )

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:15 PM »
You mean like the guvnah?  The official Iceshanty.com position is the same as it has always been. the banquet and IFOY are both member activities and while we will help with the boards it is up to the members to make it happen .Josh is working on a few ideas for the IFOY, and Dags has really stepped up to insure that the banquet will go on. All members are encouraged to get involved and help however they can.

I was indicating that people wanted this and that, were willing to do this and that, and were wondering this and that ~ and there wasn't a peep from the Mods.  MAYBE the rest of us didn't need to know that Josh's offer to volunteer was accepted, and that he will have some control of the boards..... I guess it is just me ~ sorry.  Most of the Mods on the other boards actually participate on their State sites, and not just in Mod only sections.

******goes back to not posting**********

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:16 PM »
 ;)
Quote from: Sinnian link=topic=29 :P4712.msg3083004#msg3083004 date=1416518753
Hope that clears it up for ya cheif..

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:22 PM »
;)Hope that clears it up for ya cheif..

Yes it did "chief".

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I hope you go to one of these meets that we will have this year will be a pleasure to see you.. :tipup:

Offline rlgs312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I know people don't like the sandbaggers, so what do you think about a rule to post your fish each month, some people won't follow the rule but it may cut down on some. ??? :tipup:
Any day in the woods or on the water is better than ANY day at work.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:49 PM »

I don't believe its up to the mods to do every little aspect of every little thing. I think they are there to help with the boards and monitor users but it is up to us as a "community" to help plan and dedicate time and resources to ensure we have a fun ice fishing season. I like the people on this site and the couple times I've gotten together with members and the 2013 banquet I had a blast so I will do anything that is asked of me to make sure this continues to happen. Not blasting anyone or trying to light a fire, just putting my 2 cents in and I hope everyone can kick in this year and make sure its gets back to how it was. In 2009 when I joined I did it just curiously to see what its all about but it has turned in to a awesome experience. SO thanks for all the mods do and all the volunteers who could easily just not turn on their computer and say screw it but don't.

Offline fishfreely

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Opening day 2011
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:03 AM »
And I think that maybe sometimes you should keep your nose out of it unless you are doing something to better it just my opinion! Sounds to me like u are just trying to step on toes why don't u of all of us a favor and flip the whole bill
huntdeer

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:00 AM »
First let me say it is nice to see people get involved. Is the monies from 2014 that we're paid to the hall last year being used for this year? It was posted earlier that another date would be given for this year. How much is a hall rental?

I have a few questions and concerns? It was mentioned in a previous post about the banquet that tickets are $20.00 and that a $20.00 gift bag would be provided. It also stated that 2014 tickets would be honored, but no gift bag would be given. Why??? It also mentioned that if any monies were left over trophies or maybe more door prizes etc. Is the $20.00 ticket buying those $20.00 gift bags?  I think it should be disclosed what the $20.00 ticket monies are being used for and where.

I think a lot of stuff could be had by simple business donations. I would donate to this banquet, but I would want to see the $20.00 tickets go to something else other than gift bags, if that is the case. There is plenty of businesses that would donate to this banquet for prizes etc. i as a person and a company are happy to give as long as I know what is going on.

Again I think it is great that Josh and others are getting involved. Thanks!!!

What a buzz kill........ :(

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:33 AM »
What a buzz kill........ :(

My point was that when you take monies from members things should be transparent and no self interest, case in point last years banquet disaster. People are still asking where the monies are or went. An earlier post mentioned that monies from last years banquet (maybe a deposit) could be used for this year. It is kind of when you get lost driving, you should pull over to see where you are, before something worse happens. Where is the banquet at and what is needed? It is too bad, because I think some opportunities are going to missed from sponsors like Sebago Bait or other businesses. You don't see derbies and banquets survive on ticket sales, but rather businesses (sponsors) that put up monies, etc.  I would like and be willing to help fund this banquet but I don't think this is the time or place for us. It is too bad and SB will stay out of this endeavor. If everyone works together as a team than I believe it could be a success. If you wish to start a charity or give to one, which I think is a great idea, then start with the $20.00 tickets and forgo the goodie bags and self interest. When we did the Little Sebago Derby last year ALL monies from ticket sales went to the food pantry.  I will take my beating, move along and away from this slippery slope. Best of luck and my apologies for expressing my concerns.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:27 AM »
Last years monies were spent on some of the trophies and on a non-refundable deposit for a hall we didn't use. 

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2014, 07:56 AM »
I know people don't like the sandbaggers, so what do you think about a rule to post your fish each month, some people won't follow the rule but it may cut down on some. ??? :tipup:
I have no problem with a person who wants to hold their pictures and post on the last day of the contest. How is that any different than someone walking up to a weigh-in 30 min before it closes with the winning fish? I know it sucks for the guy who was sitting in first, or the guy sitting on the bubble, already counting the cash they haven't won yet. Personally I think it adds to the excitement of a derby/ contest/ etc. Don't count your eggs before the hatch.

I think we need to look at it from the perspective of: Maybe I'm not going to enter my fish if I have no Chance of winning or placing but the last two weeks of the season are lights out and I catch a bunch of big fish. Now I change my mind. Should I feel bad about going all in at that point? 

If we start creating a lot of rules about when you have to post pictures it will only increase the amount of work Josh already has in front of him running the contest. We all know how easy it is to change the date on a photo.

I don't have a pony in this race. I am purely a spectator.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:38 AM »
I'm not going to make a rule against sandbagging.  I think it is more fun to see how it's going and it will be easier for me if I don't get a bunch of fish entered last thing, but post as you will.  Making a new card each month just adds more work for me and makes it more difficult to participate.  This is for bragging rights and a trophy.  It's for fun.  There is no money or prizes involved.  Everyone have fun with it and I look forward to lots of fish pics!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:30 PM »
  Most of the Mods on the other boards actually participate on their State sites, and not just in Mod only sections.

******goes back to not posting**********

sorry you feel that way...but I didnt rack up almost 10,000 posts by not participating. i have said everything there is to say about icefishing...3 times over

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:14 PM »
sorry you feel that way...but I didnt rack up almost 10,000 posts by not participating. i have said everything there is to say about icefishing...3 times over
What about ice fishing fashion. I think you haven't exhausted that topic. Have you?  :o
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:17 PM »
What about ice fishing fashion. I think you haven't exhausted that topic. Have you?  :o
;)
Idk. I've seen him fishing in pink more than once....

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Has anyone seen my shanty panties?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:42 PM »

well that is a matter of opinion!!

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2014, 05:58 PM »
well that is a matter of opinion!!

hee hee ha ha! I'm dying here. Great pic! I could go in a million directions with a caption.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.