Author Topic: Round tip ups  (Read 3205 times)

Offline forest_parker

• IceShanty Rookie
Round tip ups
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:59 AM »
I have found small pieces of information on other threads but no actual thread on them. I was thinking of buying a set of round thermal tip ups because they fit in a 5 gallon bucket and they are not supposed freeze as fast. I was wondering if anyone's had any experience with these?

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Round tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:48 PM »
I've got one I use on certain ponds for Trout. Works great. 8 times out of 10. The only down side to them is the short flag in deep snow.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I own a set of 3. Love them. They keep the hole from freezing, block windblown snow and even have a small tackle storage box on board.  In deep snow you can clear the side nearest you OR put them up higher on the snow and shavings around the hole . Caution though last year I discovered that they'll fit down a 10 inch hole. Went back to drilling 8's. I think 5 would neatly stack in a 5 gal bucket.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:17 PM »
if you got tip ups already you could just get some cheap hole covers there like 2 to 5 a piece and do the same thing i cover mine in snow or ice shavings so they don't blow away on windy days  ;) i think fleet farm has to by the way cheaper and easier then buying all new tip ups?plus they block light coming threw the hole and they also block the were not going to eat the bait attitude too lol's cause we see a hole above us...  lol's remember pikes eye are on top of their head and during day light hour some times get spooked buy light and don't eat in the shallows is why i say that lol's

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I have a few of them.
Pro's= easy to transport/store
          keeps holes from freezing
          less checking and hole clearing
          Built in tackle box

Con's= Flags get hard to slide on shaft (required to fit in the bucket) after years of use or when frozen water gets on them.         
           You aren't checking them as often as you should cause they don't freeze in as fast. As an example I often get hit shortly after checking tip-ups. Presumably the extra action from moving it triggers a strike. Or the holes do freeze in on real cold days because you assume they won't freeze and forget to check them.
           Flags are shorter making them harder to see in deeper snow situations.

Personally I prefer the standard Polar tip-up over these but I do like them in some situations.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:56 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/frabill/timeline?ref=page_internal

go down to November 15  short video about trip settings ...was new to me .

I only use them on the coldest of days ..but most times use a thermal cover
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Last year I bought a set of round thermal tip ups and I really like them. I've actually switched to them because they worked so well for me. They are easy to store and on most days they keep the hole from freezing. I know you can use hole covers with stick tip ups to achieve the same thing but I try to limit how much stuff I have crammed into my sled... The ones I got came with the lil' shiner lights and flag extensions, with the flag extension I can see the flag from pretty far away.

Sometimes they melt into the ice a little and freeze, but that's never happened to me so bad that a gentle boot didn't knock it free.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Here's a pic of my home-made Tip Up Covers. I made them out of scrap rubber.  They fit into a 5 gallon bucket

Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline BIG FOOT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • caching fish, one jig at a time
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2014, 08:28 PM »
the old FB are sweet and really love them with the
siren but the newer ones are not that great it seems like they lower
their  quality and now you can't find the siren any more.
 thinking on just making my own.

Offline Greenhornet73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:39 PM »
thermal tip ups are the way to go on cold days when ice is forming around the holes.  The down side is definitely the short flags but I attach bells to them in case I don't see the flag pop.  Just to warn you though, you will start hearing those bells go off at night in your sleep  :P
I prefer a 2oz sinker for perch...when it hits 'em they won't feel a thing

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:40 PM »
ice bucket john i almost made the same type of thing from neoprene waders i grew out of same thing you got kids get them neoprene they grow out of it cut it up in to tip up hole covers it also insulated the hole by the way... i think i paid $15 or $20 for three hole covers if you got waders most of all 5mm neoprene's sitting around cut them up and use them..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:44 PM »
I'll stick with the stick tip ups... I have one round style one from when I first started and in my opinion the stick tip ups are a lot more compact and easier for storage. Also, I don't like the fact that it is plastic. When plastic gets cold it can break pretty easily but that is just my opinion use what works best for you

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:36 AM »
I had 5 of the Frabill and eventually put them on C List. Very stiff, and a short flag.

I will contend with using hole covers when needed, and stick to my old Beaver Dam collection.

WS

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:52 AM »
ice bucket john i almost made the same type of thing from neoprene waders i grew out of same thing you got kids get them neoprene they grow out of it cut it up in to tip up hole covers it also insulated the hole by the way... i think i paid $15 or $20 for three hole covers if you got waders most of all 5mm neoprene's sitting around cut them up and use them..

Great idea.... :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.