Author Topic: Lake Lowell  (Read 11591 times)

Offline mtn8tive

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Lowell
« Reply #90 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:09 PM »
IDFG southwest. When was the last time a fish populaires survey done on lake lowell? If carp have been a problem for so long do you know why this year the effects of them were so stong. To thin the perch population and to emaciated the bass. 2014 bass were healthy and we did ice some perch.
There is an alarming number of carp but speaking specifically to why now, one theory might be due to the low water level seen in the lake at the end of the summer in 2014.  If you recall they had the canal breech that spring so the lake never completely filled and by August the lake was very low.  I suspect that may have done some damage to the forage in the lake and bass were seeing those affects in 2015.  Just a theory...

Offline IDFG Southwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:51 AM »
There is an alarming number of carp but speaking specifically to why now, one theory might be due to the low water level seen in the lake at the end of the summer in 2014.  If you recall they had the canal breech that spring so the lake never completely filled and by August the lake was very low.  I suspect that may have done some damage to the forage in the lake and bass were seeing those affects in 2015.  Just a theory...

A lot of things can effect a fish population from one year to the next. The low water level and extremely warm summer probably didn't make things real easy for fish in the lake during 2015. Fish may get stressed during high (or low) water temperatures and stop feeding. We sample fish from Lake Lowell, just about every year for one project or another. Bentrodz, I'm not sure when you were catching emaciated bass but my guess would be early spring or in late summer? If you continue to see emaciated fish in the lake feel free to contact the regional office. 

Offline ft487

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:37 AM »
From my experience the fish were skinny all year long. I fished Lowell up until mid august and every fish with the exceptions of one or two did not look good. I fish tournaments and all the others I know that fish a lot said the same and basically stopped fishing Lowell. Lack of forage is the main problem in my opinion. Fall of 2014 the fish were fat. All of 2015 the fish were skinny and small. Very few 3lb and larger fish. Just look at the open tourneys on Lowell. The total weights and big fish were way down. There was even a tournament cancelled in July. One of the reasons was lack of interest in some part due to the lack of big fish to catch. I think we went into the fall of 2014 with a perfect storm to kill off a lot of bass during the winter. Lowell does not have a lot of structure for fish to hide after the water recedes past the smart weed and is not very deep. I think what was left after  years of heavy Ice fishing and summer fishing caught up with the perch. Combine that with a low water level were young fish didn't survive because of lack of cover and you go into the fall with a perfect storm of bass eating themselves out of house and home. I hope I'm wrong and the perch are in a big time down cycle and come back so the bass will but I'm not going to hold my breath. I wish the fish and game would get together with the clubs and volunteers to set up structure and supplement the perch population. I have know idea how much carp affect the bass pop but I don't see them as the main problem. Who knows? Just my opinion.

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Jan 14, 2016, 01:26 PM »
Are carp minnows a forage base for lowell? Or do they grow too fast.

Offline ft487

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 14, 2016, 02:47 PM »
I'm not sure. I assume they would be a solid prey item. All I know is the fish are super skinny and the perch are few. Not sure if the carp minnows hang out in very shallow water away from the bass and grow quick enough to avoid bass later in the year when the waters low.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.