Author Topic: Lake Lowell  (Read 11590 times)

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Lowell
« Reply #60 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Just wondered if ice was even starting to form yet.

Offline RodneyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Just passed over the Dam Rd. yesterday and there is ice forming. Its thin but on it way. 
To Fish,Or Not To Fish. That is the question.

Offline RTRSHOOTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:00 AM »
Thanks for the good news!  With this cold weather it should keep building!

Offline RodneyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:53 PM »
My son and I just went out to Lake Lowell and was checking it out there's a good six maybe 8 inches of ice we didn't go too far out there but maybe 20-30 feet off the shoreline and my son used to rock to to chip a hole through the ice I would say at least 6 to 8 inches of ice and very solid.
Going to grab the ice auger and my gear and head out there first thing tomorrow.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:13 PM »
That's good news.  Where were you?  Nampa or Caldwell side?

Offline RodneyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 31, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Caldwell side out off the dam.
I'm actually a bit torn about where to go tomorrow. Manns Creek Reservoir is sounding pretty good as well.
At any rate,I'm going fishing!  ;D

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Went and looked today at Nampa dam. Couple guys were out fishing. Said 3 to 3 1/2 inches. Was nice clear ice. Bring your cleats though it's slick.

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:25 PM »
Rodney b. What area was that?

Offline RodneyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 31, 2015, 07:28 PM »

Rodney b. What area was that?

Caldwell side. I didn't have a tape measure and it may have not been 8 inches of ice,but more then 3-3 1/2 for sure.

Offline donnie2guns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Jan 01, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Just taped Nampa side, visitor center boat ramp, 2.5 inches.
Caldwell side measures 5 inches, I'll be trying there

Fished a couple hours on the Caldwell side, didn't even mark a fish on the finder.
No signature required

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Fished both dams today. I taped 3 inches at east bait ramp Nampa side and 5 inches at Caldwell side. No bites though.

Offline TheCarpenter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 01, 2016, 05:18 PM »
That is what it was like for me last year.  I didn't get any bites on the Caldwell side at all.  I was curious if anyone was targeting catfish through the ice and if they were having any luck.  I had a tip up with some cut bait on it last year, while I was also using jigs for perch.  I had no takers though.

Offline RodneyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:11 PM »
Gotts Point is the place that gets the most Raves for perch fishing from what I have gathered.
I am going to go check it out today. I'll let you guys know the ice depth and outcome tonight. 
I've personally never fished it much but it is a nice place to access by boat in the summer and hang out for the day swimming and picnicking.
It can be accessed by taking Greenhurst west tell it dead ends.

Offline TightLine21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Did the regulations change or are we still limited to stay within 200 yards of the dams?

Offline treadhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Here is the current regulation from the refuge website:

Ice Fishing
Ice fishing is allowed in Fishing Areas A and B, within 200 yards of the Upper and Lower Dams, unless otherwise posted by the Bureau of Reclamation.

Doesn't look like there was any change from what it has been.

Offline RodneyB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 02, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Did the regulations change or are we still limited to stay within 200 yards of the dams?

I was not aware of this rule but checking into it myself I see it.
Good to know. Thanks

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Nampa side now has 5 inches and Caldwell 7.

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Think there should be a reward for the first fish from Lowell. I have fished 30 or 40 holes over couple days and talked to several others out there and no one has touched a fish. Don't have a clue why.

Offline donnie2guns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Think there should be a reward for the first fish from Lowell. I have fished 30 or 40 holes over couple days and talked to several others out there and no one has touched a fish. Don't have a clue why.

I'm with you.  We punched a lot of holes yesterday afternoon around the visitor center boat ramp.  I did see a couple of fish go by on the flasher, they were both between 5-10 feet.  Nothing came of the bottom.  I'm not sure what has happened there (if anything) but it's sure not fishing like it did in '13 and '14.  ???
No signature required

Offline icenut65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:20 AM »
I can join the club.  Lot's of holes punched and only saw one fish on the finder that didn't even stop to look.  6-7 inches of ice at the dam near visitor center. Frustrating!

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Fish and Game is planning to pull the bass out this summer and kill off the lake in the fall.  Completely over ran by carp and nothing is thriving but them.  There will be more details as the year goes on.

Offline icenut65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 06, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Good to know.  I'll stop being an idiot by drilling holes all over looking for fish that aren't there!  Guess it was too good to be true having an ice fishing destination so near.  :(

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 06, 2016, 03:07 PM »
there are fish perch, crappie, blue gill some times it hard to find them when you only can go 200 yard from the dam. we got fish last year just have to find them
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline bonzai123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Hopefully the ice lasts out there with the warming temps....

Offline IDFG Southwest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:22 AM »
In response to the post above suggesting that IDFG is planning to pull the bass out of Lake Lowell this summer, please read below.

IDFG has been investigating plausible methods to control common carp at Lake Lowell since 2006. Really, we’ve been investigating options since 1955.

Most of the solutions were cost prohibitive. Recently, some private citizens and local community leaders have begun to discuss whether a project of this sort is feasible. IDFG has been involved in these discussions.  There are many very large hurdles to pulling a project of this sort off.  This includes gauging public acceptance, obtaining sufficient funds (several million dollars), timing a treatment to a low reservoir storage year, and many, many more. 

Right now, we are fully in the assessing feasibility phase and nothing more. Currently, there is no plan to remove bass out of Lake Lowell this fall.

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 07, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Hope you guys pull this off.  I can say that the bass I caught from there this year were skinny and looked very unhealthy.  They had 4lb heads and 2lb bodies.

Offline donnie2guns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:06 AM »
In case anyone is wondering, the ice conditions are the same at Lowell as they were last weekend. Plenty of ice, not a fish marked in 2 hours this morning near the visitor center. Too bad, would have been nice to be able to get some fish out of there while there's still ice  >:(
No signature required

Offline bentrodz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 10, 2016, 11:10 AM »
IDFG southwest. When was the last time a fish populaires survey done on lake lowell? If carp have been a problem for so long do you know why this year the effects of them were so stong. To thin the perch population and to emaciated the bass. 2014 bass were healthy and we did ice some perch.

Offline TheCarpenter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Fished by the Nampa dam today and caught nothing.  I had 4 tip ups set up for cat fish and one jigging rod set up with a loud flashy jig to trying and bring stuff in.  Had a brief moment of excitement when one of my tip ups popped, but nothing took any line.  I did seem more fish on the electronics than I expected, mostly carp, but an occasional fish on the bottom.  Non of them would commit to a bite.  Ice was still good with about 6-7 inches and was really slick so bring something for traction.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Thanks for the reports!

A request has been posted to add this lake to the R&C board.  Please watch for it to show up there.   ;D
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.