The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Used Fishing line recycling at Tackle Shack  (Read 583 times)

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
Used Fishing line recycling at Tackle Shack
« on: Nov 16, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Just a reminder as we get prepared for ice fishing season and respool with new line.  If you shop at Tackle Shack, please save your used fishing line and empty spools and bring them here to be recycled!  We collect it and send it to Berkley Conservation Institute to be melted down and turned into other useful products.  Most importantly it helps keep used line out of our waterways and landfills.  We can accept monofilament or flourocarbon lines.  Sorry, no braids.

This summer we teamed up with the local bass fishing club, Tioga County Bass Anglers, to bring line recycling to the 3 Corps Lakes.  We are working to expand this program to the other lakes here in Tioga County for next season as well.  We just removed the recycling stations for the winter.  We will put them up again in the spring.  Check out all the line that was collected!  This is about half of what we collected from these units all summer.

If you aren't in this area, talk to your local bait shop or marina.  There are shops all across the country that are part of this initiative.  You can also send used line directly to Berkley.

Berkley Recycling
1900 18th Street
Spirit Lake, Iowa 51360

Thank you all for helping this project be a success in Tioga County and thank you to everyone that takes part in line recycling nationwide :).

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Used Fishing line recycling at Tackle Shack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:22 PM »
Its nice to see your doing that they should have those containers at every lake I can think of a few times I almost went toe to toe with guys after watching them strip almost a whole spool of line off there reel and then just throw it on the ground >:(
A watched flag never flies

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:10 PM »
I started this for the same reason.  Nothing irritates me more than watching someone throw all that line on the ground!  >:(.

If you want to see them at more lakes, I really encourage you to talk to your local shops, fishing clubs, and whoever manages your lakes!  I built these units for about 15 bucks apiece.  The Army Corps of Engineers was very welcoming to the idea when I proposed it for their 3 lakes.  Now I'm working to expand this to the local state park and our 2 other lakes.  I built these a little smaller than other organizations, because we needed a bunch of them.  Boat US foundation is heavily involved in this effort too, nationwide.  They have decals and signs available for members plus a nice informational video on how to make a recycling station on their website.

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline hardwaterwalker814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 04:46 PM »
I'll talk to the first fish warden I see on the ice this year see what he has to say about it
A watched flag never flies

Offline Five mile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I think that is a great idea and may try to put them up around local night fishing spots.  Always seems to be more trash in those areas.  I also want to thank you ahead of time for all the hard work  you put into checking the ice conditions.  I look forward to getting up to your shop this year and support someone that obviously cares about the sport! Thanks!

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Thank you guys :) and thanks for supporting everything we do. 

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA