The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 949i vs Montana wind?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
949i vs Montana wind?
« on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Im about to buy a 949i and was just wondering how they hold up in our Montana winds? Should a guy buy extra ice anchors.   Thanx. 
]

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: 949i vs Montana wind?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:47 AM »
It will be great, they come with six anchors....be sure to use them all on windy days. On calm days I will only anchor the four corners of mine.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Chasing Lunkers

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:10 PM »
I have the 949 and I love it! As long as you put it up correctly and anchor down it works great. I got extra anchors for mine so I can strap all 8 anchor points when it gets really wicked. And the eskimo anchors are the best in the business!  If you only have the 6 anchors the key is to anchor all 4 corners and the 2 windward sides. Works perfect and mine still looks like new with no rips or tears. 
Enjoy the new gear!

Offline olslewfoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I use 8 ice anchors on mine during windy conditions. I usually like to have more than one person around when setting up in the wind. I have been out in very windy conditions. It will hold up very well. Be careful not to force anything. I agree that the Eskimo anchors are the best.

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 05:36 PM »
Agree with olslewfoot. Don't force those rods in the wind. I snapped one setting up on Georgetown last winter when we had 45mph winds. Still managed to finish the day with a collapsed side. Aside from that mine does excellent in the wind. I had it out in 50mph gusts.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I have one of the quick fish non insulated models and it does well in the wind. I anchor one side and get the  guy rope anchors in the ice before I erect the shelter. I have seen a few fellow ice fishers chasing shelters across the ice.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:46 AM »
thanx for the replies !!!  Just the kind of information i was looking for.   Gonna place my order online today an get that thing on its way to me!  Cant hardly wait!   Good luck this Winter!
]

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Ditto on all the above posts....love mine.   :)
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline Elkhnter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:29 AM »
I agree with all the post- Never hurts to have a few extra ice anchors around and yes eskimo's are by far the best..

Another quick and easy thing to do is by some cam strap, they are just like rachet straps but these ones just pull on the strap and they tighten up. They work better and you can get a pack for like  $10.00. You just hook the strap to the top of the anchor and one in the grooment of the tent pull the strap "Sides are Tight As Can Be".
Marvin

Offline studemaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Howdy all, I am a newbie here. I just received my 949i this weekend and set it up in my shop to check it out.
Mine came with 9 ice anchors, not sure if it was a screwup, or if that has become the amount shipped now. Looks like it will be a nice portable to take to Peck.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Elkhunter I like your idea about the cam straps that would be a great addition. I am also thinking about welding some nuts onto the anchors so I can power them in with the cordless impact.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:21 PM »
What wind?
Dont ask

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2014, 04:56 PM »
My 949i just arrived today. I had to set it up in the house just to check it out ..cant wait to put it to use on the ice.  Gonna buy some cam straps before i go out great idea. Thanx again everyone that responded.
]

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:43 AM »
My 949i just arrived today. I had to set it up in the house just to check it out ..cant wait to put it to use on the ice.  Gonna buy some cam straps before i go out great idea. Thanx again everyone that responded.

Congrats GSO !! I hope it serves you well !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.