The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Patience?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Patience?
« on: Nov 11, 2014, 05:06 PM »
I know some guys have already been on the ice... and I know all of us are chompin' at the bit to get started...

I also know 99% of the guys on here know ice safety and have good common sense when it comes to early and late ice...  I decided to post this for the 1%.... or those new to this sport.

We are lucky to live where we do ... we get a foot or two of ice on our waters and for months on end...  Please be careful on this early ice and if you want to get out there make sure you go with a friend or a group of people.   

How is that for a ramble/rant?  Hopefully my last one of the year.  Good luck to all, please be patient and safe w/ the early ice.  I love this sport and season but it sure does make me cringe when I hear of people dying because they were not prepared or not patient enough.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Patience?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2014, 05:10 PM »
This seems like a fitting place for this:

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2014, 05:53 PM »
I know that supposedly you can take a car on 7 1/2 inches but I still feel ify even taking my wheeler out on anything under a foot. Or walking on anything under 4 inches for that matter.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Thanks for that post Gemcityslayer. That was a wecolme post in my mind.
Thinking about all of the gear and all of the iffy times that I have been out ( the last trip this spring ).
I still do not own a pair of $ 2.00 ice picks....time to fix that.    :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I for one need these reminders! Thank you.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I know that supposedly you can take a car on 7 1/2 inches but I still feel ify even taking my wheeler out on anything under a foot. Or walking on anything under 4 inches for that matter.

Those guidelines are not applicable here in Western Wyoming, or anywhere else that gets a ton of snow on top of the ice.  The overflow and pressure ridges that are hidden under the snow make even taking a snowmobile out there a bit sketchy sometimes (OK my old underpowered sled anyhow)! 

I for one am not putting the boat away yet.  Knocked the snot out of the Macs last weekend on Fremont, and it ain't freezing up for a few months yet!!!

Offline Gimper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I like to wait until at least 15 inches to take a vehicle out. Not that it takes 15 inches of good, solid, clear ice to hold up the vehicle, but it's nice when three or four other vehicles just happen to show up and park right next to me.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2014, 08:19 PM »

I for one am not putting the boat away yet.  Knocked the snot out of the Macs last weekend on Fremont, and it ain't freezing up for a few months yet!!!

I know the feeling I've been doing great on Boulder lately.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:25 PM »
I know how bad some of us love to ice fish.... some of us are basically addicts and addicts don't always make the wisest decisions.... :o ;D  I know some people are itching to get on the ice... I'm just saying wait a day or two!  Or at least go with a friend like I said.  Then if you fall in it will be hilarious after you get pulled out and are freezing on the ride home...

Nothing hilarious about drowning / freezing all by yourself at the lake because you couldn't wait a few days!  I think falling in now is a lot worse than in March... it is -5 where I am at.  If you get wet late ice at least it is 50 degrees out ;)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Here's a handy safety tip for early and late ice. Use a small backpack, 50' rope, and a small boat buoyee for worst-case-scenario situations.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Good reminder GCS, I make it a point to never fish early or late ice alone
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2014, 11:09 AM »
A spud bar tilts the odds in your favor. Without one it's a crapshoot and you're just guessing.   Also Wind is a player on early ice.  Just the speed of the wind can flex thin ice and cause it to break apart. Ive had it happen to me.

One good thing about early ice is the fish are usually close to shore anyway.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline wyofisher85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I agree with slayerfish. I have fished when there was less than 2 inches before. It is a little nerve-racking. But using a spud bar is a good idea. Gets you on the ice safely and then you can just chip your hole. Dont have to worry about carrying the extra weight of an auger.....

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I  use the trusty spud bar early  in the year and with the auger in the middle of the season around pressure ridges.
Thread killer

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:12 AM »
I always have a spud bar on early ice and I wear a life jacket and carry a rope. All that being said I'm the first one on the ice usually most years.  ;D
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.