New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Winter fishing near power plants  (Read 1035 times)

Offline muskyman2

• IceShanty Rookie
Winter fishing near power plants
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:11 PM »
A bit off topic (sorry), but was wondering if anyone fishes near any of our power plants/warm water discharges during the winter months and, if so, have they been successful?

Thanks.

Muskyman2

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winter fishing near power plants
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:24 PM »
There's a power plant up in northern MN that I use to fish when I lived there.  The river it was in wasn't a very good LM bass fishery in the summer, but during winter all the bass in the river would pile up next to this spot (along w/ some huge gills and craps) and we would have a blast w/ 'em.  Many days we'd catch upwards of 50 bass.  The biggest was about 24", which is a mammoth for MN.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:47 PM »
I guess if your really hard up for some open water fishing, then there is always the troy dam. But, with the waters super cold, you may find a wally, but during the winter, there is nothing better than the hardwater approach. I've never had any luck on the open water thru the winter months, even where the water is still open on the rivers. The fish just turn to lethargic, I think.

dwayne

« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:19 AM »
Dunkirk Harbor off of Lake Erie is one of those warm water discharge places.  Guys catch steelheads and browns all winter.

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:09 AM »
Cayuga Lake, east shore has one. People catch pike and trout most of the winter.  I've been there a few times and hooked into something that I lost.  Better dress well; that wind catching the water in the air (mist) can be bone-chilling.
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:20 AM »
OPEN WATER,seneca lake ,need boat and rain coat BIG PERCH in
20 to 40 fow minnies
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB