Author Topic: StrikeMaster 10" Auger Owners  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
StrikeMaster 10" Auger Owners
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Just want to get some opinions from Alaskans or our up north pals in Canada and their Strikemaster auger 10".

First, I have a NIB Lazermag Xpress 8" and want the 9", but can only swap for the 10". 

Soooo how does that 10" punch trough 3 ++ feet of ice-A worker at 3 rivers said they bog down or outright quit in the thicker ice-is he right?   

How do you like the Strikemaster overall? 

Would you get another SM again or just go with the Jiffy 3hp 10" STX?

A side note-talked to a SM factory rep that was visiting Thorne Bros and he said all SM augers are 2 1/2 hp due to EPA changes on their old 2 hp last year-is he blowin smoke up.......or is he giving me the real deal?  (Probably post this last ? in the Auger sec)

Kudos-Grizz

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: StrikeMaster 10" Auger Owners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:56 PM »
weight
1.  I'm sure of the swap.
2.  My partner fishes a new 10" and he has problems with it on the river.  The ice is almost the depth of the auger now, and it kills when finishing a hole.  I have the 2000 8" and it will cut all the way without cutting out.  We haven't used an extension on his yet.... but I'm sure it'll cut out with all the chips seated on top of the auger, (extra wieght.) 
3.  Strikemaster is a REAL DISSAPOINTMENT!  In the shop every year, and has difficulty handling a load of holes.  Poorly designed, under powered, and I would only own a Jiffy, (second auger), if I didn't buy the dang SM at a garage sale so cheap!   :-\ 
4. JIFFY! JIFFY! JIFFY!  Heavy yes, durable yes!  I like the strikemaster for one thing.... It's weight.  Jiffy all the way.... or custom make one with a Tanaka motor?  That's my next step.
5. Sounds like smoke to me!  There's a post concerning a gas tank and the hassles the gent ran into with SM's customer service dept.  He really has a bad taste in his mouth, as he should!  It was posted this week.

Grizz, I used to really like my strikemaster!  I could throw it over a shoulder and cut 20 holes no sweat, but now it gives me consistant fits!  I look at others having the same problems IE: carb, fuel tank, leaks, etc... and have to wonder what's going on with them?  Guess it's kinda like buying a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge....  There's gonna be some diehard SM fans out there that wouldn't own any other auger.  IMHO, It's too touchy for my tastes up here in the interior.  Cold is no friend to cheap equipment.  Good luck w/ your decision!  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:26 PM »
Barleydog, Thanks for the insight, I trust your opinion ;D.  One more ? for you, 8"  or 10"?

-Grizz

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:37 PM »
I like the 8" when using the extension.  Don't know if you use one?  But hands down the 19" would be a great choice. ;)  Easier on fish like pike and burbot.  Heck, any fish!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:33 AM »
Barley, I use an 8" Eskimo hand auger-never used a 9" or 10" never even used a power auger before.  I'm tired of missing out on the last half of our season due to the thick ice!  After reading and talking to poeple as well as my desire to fish for northerns and lakers thought the 9" or 10" would best suit my needs.  I may have to rethink the auger selection.  8" Nils or 10" jiffy 3hp?

-Grizz

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:57 AM »
Iv got some insite for you!

I got a Eskimo mako for Christmas, 10 inch with the chipping blades. This thing kicks ass! We have about 20 inches of ice on the lakes I fish and its like a hot knife through butter! When i fist tested it out (I had to! ;D) I bunched 14 holes. It was sweet! I have put my weight into the auger and it has never bogged or quit! And Im a big boy 5, 11 around 230.  I wish the Eskimo shark didn’t have the plastic handles other wise that would be the auger I would choose.  My mako was 299 for a 10 inch. I know that’s cheaper than a jiffy. I’m going to try and get a short video of the Eskimo at work....oh and from what Iv heard the company has great customer service1!

Just my .02

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:14 PM »
That's what I hear about Eskimo.... Great customer service. ;)  I thought my SM was the best auger around until the 3rd year of use.  I don't want to jinx ya Nate! ;)  Totally different rig is the Eskimo.   I have only operated, but never owned one.  I know KP had or has owned an old Eskimo.  He bailed me out on Birch lake one day due to my SM not starting. :D  What's the verdict on the older Eskimos? 

Grizz,  Your smart going with the 10" for lakers and pike.  With all the ice we get, it's a great investment for the future.  I see Cabela's is selling them for 449.00 for the 10" STX, GULP!  :-X

TEAM ALASKA

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2005, 01:56 PM »
I guess time will tell.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Nate,  Did you or anyone you know try an extension on it?  I see there sold at Sportsman's.  I'm curious if the motor will handle all the ice, (with an extension?)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:06 PM »
No, havent needed an extention. :P Iv got 42 inches before i need one...so i dont know if ill ever need one down here around anchorage or the vally....

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2005, 03:28 PM »
I've maxed out my hand auger every year for the past few years, not really here in Anch, but definatly out in the valley and north.  We might dodge the ice bullet this year with the warmer weather though.  With a power auger I'd invest in an extension-you never know when you'll need it.  I was just at the Eskimo site and didn't see an extension listed?, I was checking out the Barracuda Plus (3hp 10') as it's a full hundie cheaper (@SW) than the jiffy STX ($489 @ 3rivers).  Worth checking it out, any Eskimo reports out there?

-Grizz

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:48 PM »
Iv seen the extensions and sportsmans wearhouse, up to 18 inches i think. Right here http://www.ardisam.com/Eskimo/replaceAuger.htm is were i found the extensions. 6 12 and 18 inches. Like i said before to bad the shark Z51 has plastic handels! I wish i had the cash to go by a bunch of diffrent augers and try them out. lol

Anyone know the drill speed of the jiffys? Im pretty sure that eskimo (Ardisam) and jiffy use the same motors... :P

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:55 PM »
I just purchased a Eskimo barracuda 8" auger from sportsmans warehouse around $300 or so and it came highly recommended from the fishing guys. The guy that turned me on to it said he had over 15,000 hole with one similar when he lived in Minnesota as a fishing guide, he highly recommended it because of price and versatility and said it was just as effective as the 10" if you drilled two holes next to each other and chiseled out the center for bigger fish or a bigger hole. He recommended going to AIH and buying a bigger Swedish made auger for around $90. I bought it because of the toughness and it looked like I could not break it, since I am a fireman and if we can't break it then its pretty tough. Well see, so far so good. ;D

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:47 PM »
fishing fireman, I see this was your first post at IceShanty-Welcome!

So you have the Eskimo with the Swedish auger?  If so did you have to do any mod's to the auger so it would fit the eskimo powerhead?  What size and brand is that Swedish auger-I'll swing by AIH in the am on fri to check them out.

Thanks-Grizz

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:58 PM »
fishing fireman, I see this was your first post at IceShanty-Welcome!

So you have the Eskimo with the Swedish auger?  If so did you have to do any mod's to the auger so it would fit the eskimo powerhead?  What size and brand is that Swedish auger-I'll swing by AIH in the am on fri to check them out.

Thanks-Grizz

Grizz,

I havent bought the 10" auger yet, that is where Brian told me I could buy one when I wanted to get one. If you pick one up put out a poost on what you think. I may pick one up if I can make it out to the winter pike fishing area on the snowmachine later on.

Anyone want to go?

Fishing Fireman

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2005, 12:35 AM »
fishing fireman,

I'll have to take a snowcheck on pike fishing with a snowmachine (sold mine last fall) until next year, but if your using "shanks mare" I might be able to get a kitchen pass.

The more I think about it the more I think I'm going to return :'( my Christmas present and LOOK around-might upgrade the hand auger for the rest of this season.

Thanks Guys-Grizz

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Not to sound stupid but what ia a "shanks mare"? I guess I really never heard of it before as far as ice fishing goes.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2005, 01:20 AM »
Never mind I found it on line and here it is

Shanks' mare
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
(Redirected from Shanks's pony)
Jump to: navigation, search
Shanks' mare is an idiom meaning to walk; to "travel by shanks' mare" or "ride on shanks' mare" is to walk to your destination. Older forms of the phrase include Shanks' nag and Shanks' pony, using different terms for horses.

The shank is the lower part of the leg, now more commonly referred to as the calf; hence the term references travelling "by leg".

It was first recorded as "shanks-nag", in 1785.

It would be a very long walk

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2005, 02:10 AM »
Say it a fair bit guiding-walking is still the main mode of transportation where I hunt.

I'm sure it is a fair hike, but if you go somewhere close to the road....or more accessible by foot, I'm willing.

-Grizz

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2005, 05:05 AM »
Grizz

There are a few spots I could take you that are very accessible, if you come up here you will need a military permit for some of the pike lakes here in the Interior.

FF

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:11 AM »
FF, what is this Swedish auger you talk about.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Not sure if they are swedish or not, that is what I was told @ Sprtsmnswrhse and the guy said to save money buy the power unit here and then buy the augers at AIH if you wanted a different size.

Thats all I really know til I can get to AIH, Grizz said he was going to stop by htere today and maybe he'll have more later.

FF

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:59 PM »
AIH carrys Eskimo augers-gave them a jingle-Grizz

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2005, 08:25 PM »
You will save some money on the Eskimo Barracuda 8" if you can get it from sportsmans warehouse. I paid $309 for mine, normally around $329 there, lucked into a sale. How much at AIH?

FF

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:10 PM »
I have an older Eskimo Piranha 8", bought at AIH about 10 years ago. Haven't had any problems other than the throttle lever broke, replaced it and that one broke so I rigged a steel leader with a large split ring on it, works like a charm. I also drilled out the threads on the auger and now use a clevis pin instead of the hex head bolt. Easier to break it down to fit in my snowmachine sled. I also use an 18" extension and have drilled thru 3' of ice no problem.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:33 PM »
All this talk about new augers...  AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!  Some day perhaps.  My choice will definitely be a Jiffy.  I know too many guys that have been using them for too long without any problems and parts and accessories are easy to find.  But as for me, I am still fishing "old school" with a 1968 Easy Boy auger made in New Holstein, Wisconsin.  I bought from an old farmer in Wisconsin about seven years ago.  I cuts an 8 1/2 inch hole and is powered by a 3 hp Tecumseh 4-stroke motor.  It idles like it's new and has a feather-touch clutch to engage the bit.  It rotates at about 300-400 RPM (guessing).  The only problem I have is that replacement blades are nonexistent and I can't find an extention to fit.  But I love it.  It's a great conversation piece and a bit of history as well.

Icy Mike

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 31, 2005, 12:15 AM »
Thanks for keeping some of the history of ice fishing alive. Someday that thing may be worth alot of money. If it's lasted this long it should be around for many more years for others to enjoy, well at least get a good laugh at, just kidding.

FF

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:38 AM »
I will use the old saying," I wouldn't have one of them stuffed up my arse, if'ns I had room for a freakin sawmill!!!"    :o    (that is the strikemaster of course!)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.