Author Topic: Mounting heater in tub of flip-over?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
Mounting heater in tub of flip-over?
« on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:12 PM »
In another posted someone mentioned mounting their heater in the tub of their flip-over shack.    I have seen that mentioned in other posts and it sounds interesting.   I would just like to get some ideas of how it is being done.   I like the idea of having the extra room by not having the heater in front of me but I'm just having difficulty picturing this arrangement.    Pictures would be great.   

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Mounting heater in tub of flip-over?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:24 PM »

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline king hammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:46 PM »
That looks like a great idea

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I was just about to write the same thing!  Definitely doing this to my shanty!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:52 PM »
I have the same concept just farther away from tub.  I was worried if wind would blow on same side and tent would force in a bit and tent could get to warm. 

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:53 PM »
The mounting looks easy enough.    Placement is still my concern,  I can't get the image of melting the back of seats out of my mind.   I have a Frabill Predator and based on the video,  looks like the flat end of the sled may be the place.   Anyone else with a larger flip-over have a better suggestion for placement based on experience?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Just helped my buddy mod his Frabill commando ...we placed a piece of 3/4 in square stock across the back seat support using sheet metal screws...its  the height of the Portable Buddy's hanging holes ...then just add two sheet metal screws to the newly added bar and hang your heater facing to the rear of the shelter ...we moved the seat to the left (right handed) and placed the heater as far to the right up against the sled/tub.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I'll probably mount mine smack dab in the middle of the back of the shanty.  The heater worked great in my old shanty, and it should work awesome in my new thermal Frabill!  This will keep it from bouncing around for sure!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Thanks for the info. FrostBack......that's a great idea!   

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2014, 07:15 PM »
This is a mod I did to my Frabill Adventurer ..I added two 1" square aluminum tubing atop the sled base for an earlier seat mod ...then just added two sheet metal screws and hung my heater ...its similar to the mod I mentioned earlier ..but no pix of that mod.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Another Genz mod for the Lil Buddy heater(golf cart style)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Another Genz mod for the Lil Buddy heater(golf cart style)

Dave didn't mention it in the video but the heater is held in place by a 4 inch diameter piece of pvc pipe that he screwed to the side of the sled. a one pound propane tank fits nice inside a 4 inch pvc pipe.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.