Author Topic: Elite 5 chirp  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
Elite 5 chirp
« on: Oct 05, 2014, 09:12 PM »
I'm looking to update my electronics this year from a lowrance x67c to an elite 5. My question is, with the new lowrance chirp, is the chirp worth getting when the unit will primarily be used for ice fishing. Reading about it seems as there is no a huge advantage in regards to using it on the ice. Any information would help. Thank you!

Offline ZodiacWI

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Elite 5 chirp
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2014, 09:57 PM »
I have two Lowrance Elite 7s on my walleye boat, networked together, with HDI.

They are awesome units, but I fail to see why anyone would want an ice GPS unit, when it'll just be a battery drain.

I use my Elites in soft water season with the HDI to do high speed reckon, and that's where the Elite series stands out. You can run a specific area, then scroll the chart back and record spots on your chart where there are structures or fish. I actually do this often, works really well.

When ice fishing I move A LOT. As in, if I drill 100 holes, it's a slow day. I sit at a hole for fifteen minutes, if nothing happens I move on. I use a pocket GPS to track my movements and document where I hit something. For me, it's quicker than having a flasher/plotter.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I just purchased the Lowrance Elite 5 HDI with map chip in August after doing ALOT of research... I feel that the GPS on the unit will be absolutely invaluable on the ice and I did not want to have a separate hand held GPS. I am wanting to be able to zero me in on spots where before I was drilling holes and searching out structure, drop offs, submerged bridges, rock piles... etc. I could not find any advantages to the chirp technology for my needs.

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2014, 10:36 AM »
I bought the elite 5 ice machine last year I have navionics hotmaps. I have used it for full days (8-10 hours straight) with no battery issues at all! Gps is great i have a handheld but leave it home now! LOVE graph mode/flasher mode also has vertical flasher like showdowns no regrets with this unit for me!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Can any of you guys tell me if you can do any zoom features in real time.  Like a split screen.  Is there really only a 20° cone.  What do they mean when the say dully adjustable viewing.  Does the unit actually pivot as well as tilt up and down?   I have seen some pics and videos of different configurations and was wondering if they were extra mods or standard.

I am going back and forth between the elite 5 chirp with DI and the hummingbird 688ci ice machine.  I like the dual cone angles and the zoom feature on the HB but also like the DIfeture on the E-5.  I also like the storage on the E-5. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline spam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Can any of you guys tell me if you can do any zoom features in real time.  Like a split screen.  Is there really only a 20° cone.  What do they mean when the say dully adjustable viewing.  Does the unit actually pivot as well as tilt up and down?   I have seen some pics and videos of different configurations and was wondering if they were extra mods or standard.

I am going back and forth between the elite 5 chirp with DI and the hummingbird 688ci ice machine.  I like the dual cone angles and the zoom feature on the HB but also like the DIfeture on the E-5.  I also like the storage on the E-5.

u can adjust the elite 5 to sit up low or raise it up and it adjusts up and down its a nice feature zoom is real time no delay that I notice. I do believe it is only a 20 cone! Either unit is gonna be real nice the hb look sweet as well!
Looks like chuck is taking old one eye to the optometrist!

Offline quickme

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I'm having the same debate right now as the OP.  Looking forward to reading everyone's comments.
Nick

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2014, 07:09 AM »
I got the Elite 5 HDI for the boint this summer and this will be the first ice season with it. The DI won't do anygood because you have to be moving to paint the picture. But I.m stoked about having the GPS built in with the maps. I think its a great unit and I believe REEDS has it on sell. Fish On!

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Second season on my elite 5 ice machine. Really enjoyed it last season. Used the gps to get me too my spot then shut it off to save battery life. Also found that if I lowerd the light, I got better battery life. Was disappointed with the 7ah that came with it so got a 9ah. Added a couple more hrs to my fishing time. Still charge it after every use tho. Watch the videos on you tube.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.