Author Topic: Jiffy gas auger fuel tank  (Read 8126 times)

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
Jiffy gas auger fuel tank
« on: Sep 24, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Hey guys I have a jiffy gas auger and last year I replaced the fuel tank because it was leaking from the gasket where the tubes go from tank to motor and now it's leaking again with the new tank after one year!!! Does anybody have any recommendations on what to use to seal it up I really don't wanna buy a new one again unless I have to! Thanks

Mike
Fish on!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jiffy gas auger fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I don't have a jiffy, so take this for what it is. Can't you just replace the fuel line? On my strikemaster, the fuel line sticks through a hole in the tank, and then an internal fuel filter is put in in, then you pull the line out so the fuel filter fits snug in the hole. Its a very poor design, and I have to get a new fuel line once in a while. The key is using gas without ethanol. If I put regular gas in mine, it would leak by next month. With no-ox gas it last at least a year, usually two. Also make sure it is real fuel line, and not just the clear line you get from hardware stores.
-Tom

Offline mickmickl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Yea I replace the fuel line on mine every year, I just buy the fuel line and reuse the black grommet.

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Do you guys remove all gas from the auger for storage?  Dont quote me on this but I believe I read somewhere that if you leave fuel in the lines then the fuel line wont shrink.

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2014, 05:16 AM »
I always dump my fuel out of the tank and burn what's left off so it doesn't gunk up or anything. And the fuel isn't leaking from the line it's leaking from the bottom of the black gasket that the lines run through. I was thinking of silicone or something to seal it up but was looking for some reccomendations on what type to use.
Fish on!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Replace the grommet!!!!!!!!!!!  Ethanol garbage -gas dries out rubber and plastic, (leaches out the plasticizers that keep it pliable), use non-oxy gas or plan on replacing gaskets/seals/grommets on a regular basis.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Replace the grommet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

You'll just muck stuff up if you try to use any type of sealer.

I feel your pain though.  I own/operate a small engine repair shop.  It doesn't matter what you do, keep it full, drain it, some of those grommet just don't last.  Better buy a couple/few this time!

...don't replace the whole tank again, just the grommet and maybe lines.  ;)

Q

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2014, 09:24 AM »
where can I get the grommet from any recommendations? all I can find is the whole tank on jiffyonice.com and on ebay. and I will just have to stock up haha Thanks ;D
Fish on!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2014, 09:27 AM »
You can actually find them at well-stocked automotive parts shops or good hardware stores. Take the old one along. That's where I've found them. Tip: When you get one, spray it with pure silicone before you install it....keeps it pliable. I do mine every year.  ;)

PS...The silicone spray works great on your vehicles rubber door gaskets, too. No freeze up in winter after the car wash.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 25, 2014, 09:35 AM »

where can I get the grommet from any recommendations?

What model auger do you have?  What engine?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Gasket maker or any other kind of sealer does not work. Next time only use no-ox gas, and leave gas in the tank during storage. Stabil, sea foam, and some other fuel stabilizers keep octane levels up and will not turn to varnish. You will also keep the carb gaskets in better shape.
-Tom

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #11 on: Sep 25, 2014, 10:09 AM »
its not in front of me at the moment but I believe its the 2500 series jiffy engine
Fish on!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Sep 25, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I'm quite sure Jiffy sells the tank as an entire assembly, like most of the other manufacturer's do. Give the parts stores a quick check first, I found ones right off the bat. There's usually a large assortment of graduated sizes at good parts stores. Lots of small engine shops have them too, for weed whackers, chainsaws, etc., as they also use the same type of tank set-up. Bet JimQ has one around somewhere....Good luck.   ;D

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:53 AM »
OK.  So we're talking about the Imported "Jiffy Engine".

As you have already learned, they don't sell the grommet and lines separately.   ;D

Reb is right, I've got all shapes and sizes here at the shop but without an old one in my hand or some dimensions, I'm stuck.  :(

I will say this.  From the pictures, I notice some similarities between the Jiffy Engine and the Viper Engine Ardisam/Eskimo uses.  I wonder if the same company makes them.  I can also tell you, the tank grommets on the Viper engines leak like crazy too.  I keep several line/grommet assemblies in stock because of it.

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #14 on: Sep 25, 2014, 01:04 PM »
yeah its jiffy part number 4080, that's the tank I have, im gonna take the grommet off and check some placed out maybe I can find one somewhere? thanks for all the information guys!
Fish on!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 25, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Keep us posted.....

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #16 on: Sep 25, 2014, 01:22 PM »
will do! if I find anything I will be sure to let you guys know! save anyone else with this problem a headache or too
Fish on!!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Maybe just my opinion, but if you have to get another tank, I think you would be best off modifying an "old style" one to fit.
-Tom

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2014, 06:13 AM »
hey guys, so far I have found one guy I spoke with and he sells on ebay the lines with the grommet for 22 dollars shipped :o I rather spend the 8 extra bucks for the new tank however im going to a small engine shop today after work to see what they have! ill keep everyone updated!
Fish on!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Sep 29, 2014, 06:19 AM »
$22 is way too much. Hit that shop and let us know!! PS...you might want to give Eva at Eskimo (Ardisam) a call and see if she thinks their grommet/lines will fit, I just betcha...call her at 1-715-822-2416, ext 146. Tell her we sent ya.  ;)

Offline madewitt4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME
« Reply #20 on: Sep 29, 2014, 04:00 PM »

Found one that works ;D
 Now this is for fuel tank part number jiffy 4080. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Mike
Fish on!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.