Author Topic: Clam's new spooler  (Read 585 times)

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam's new spooler
« on: Sep 10, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Anyone handled one of these yet? I want an inline reel like this, but with a back plate that isn't the spool. For my fellow steelheaders basically I want a smaller version of a centerpin. This one looks to be that with a little better gear ratio. It's my understanding the Eagle Claw and 13 Fishing reels have a moving spool where I'd want to palm it.

http://clamoutdoors.com/store/clam/rods-reels/reels/dave-genz-ice-spooler-elite-reel.html
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam's new spooler
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I too am very interested. It looks to be a definite step up from the previous version which I have but thought it could be better by how I fish. I also got some eagle claws but didnt end up using them as trying them out at home had issues on how they work. But this new clam reel might just be what I've been looking for. My only worry is I wont be able to get one this year. Time will tell.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2014, 06:01 PM »
I worked Clam's Booth at the MN state fair and had a chance to handle this reel. my first impression is that it is a nice reel. the only area of concern is the length of the stem where it hooks on the rod. depending on the size of your hand it may or may not make the reel palmable. should of made it with interchangeable stems. for me personally I would be okay with it as is now.  I might actually try one this winter to see if I like it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Looks sweet, can't wait to try one!

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.