Author Topic: Device to attach to ice rod to prevent them from going down a 10" Hole ?  (Read 10768 times)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
I just ordered 3 of the new 13 Fishing tickle sticks @ $49.00 ea. :P  and really do not have any love for the rough fish and snails at the bottom of the lake to donate any of these rods + reels to them. >:(  Does anyone know of a lightweight attachment that can be added to a rod to prevent it from going down a 10" hole for a cold swim ?  :o  Any info or links would be helpful.  Thanks.  Happy trails ! :)

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
I'm not understanding how the rod is going down a hole if you're using it? Is this something for keeping a rod protected while you leave the shanty or something?

If that's the case, I use a tip-up hole cover.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
Down size your auger- with a 10 inch hole you could land moby dick and break someone else ankle. Just my opinion but you really don't need anything bigger than a 6 inch hole.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

FISHFORPIKE

Down size your auger- with a 10 inch hole you could land moby dick and break someone else ankle. Just my opinion but you really don't need anything bigger than a 6 inch hole.
Oh boy - another hole size debate in the air.  Some of us "like" 10" holes.  Not need them, but like them.  Just need watch where you walk -  @)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Oh boy - another hole size debate in the air.  Some of us "like" 10" holes.  Not need them, but like them.  Just need watch where you walk -  @)

My buddy's reasoning is he doesn't have to clean out the hole as often on bitter days .Ps  he did "find his hole one day and hyper extended some things on his foot

Now to answer you IceHutt ...my suggestion ....Eskimo ice anchor( easy in/out w/no tools or effort) with a tether ...carbineers might be a great way to attach them ...may be on a bungee to assist to get the hook set then detach from the tether 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm not understanding how the rod is going down a hole if you're using it? ...

Really?

Perhaps you're new to the sport.

Any seasoned ice fisherman is painfully aware of the strange gravitational pull developed by a hole drilled through the ice.  The force of the pull is directly proportional to the value of the item in proximity to said hole.

:roflmao:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
A loose drag and a good rod holder works wonders. I hate having my rod tied down, miss allot of fish that way.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
yep, anything from watches and cell phones to rods and glasses go down the hole. The only thing I can suggest is quick reflexes and a sense of humor  ;)

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Maybe a couple less beers on the ice?

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Really?

Perhaps you're new to the sport.

Any seasoned ice fisherman is painfully aware of the strange gravitational pull developed by a hole drilled through the ice.  The force of the pull is directly proportional to the value of the item in proximity to said hole.

:roflmao:

I've been taught to keep a tight hand on my rod at all times.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've been taught to keep a tight hand on my rod at all times.

:o

:woot:

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Many cheap bucket rod holders on the market. Fill your bucket with lake water, attach rod and throw caught fish in bucket. Simple and solved.  ::) Or ya could always use a 8 foot long 2" by 4".
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
Thanks for the response and some of the suggestions  :) although some were BS and off topic, never the less entertaining and interesting ;D.  My reason for such a device is that I normally hold my rod firmly  :o (so to speak) :P  while fishing, but in two instances, I have set it down to help my grandchildren or a fellow fisherman, and it has been pulled down the hole.  I had cheap reels on them and the drag was set too tight :(,  but regardless, they are gone.  This situation has provided an oppurtune excuse to get some of the 13 Fishing's tickle stick ice rods  ;),  which I don't want to donate to the lake.  I was just wondering if anyone has seen a crosspiece type of item made to attach on the rod ahead of the reel seat that would cross the rod perpendicular to it and catch it if it started down the hole.  Although, the suggestion of tieing a 2 X 4 to it is somewhat like what I had in mind  :o,  I thought I might want to downsize that a bit and add a little more finesse to it @).  I may cut some old carbon arrows that I have and try to make something along these lines to do the job.  Any other suggestions and comments would be welcome.  Thanks.  Happy trails !  :tipup:

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Many cheap bucket rod holders on the market. Fill your bucket with lake water, attach rod and throw caught fish in bucket. Simple and solved.  ::) Or ya could always use a 8 foot long 2" by 4".

Berkley makes a nice coated wire style that attaches to a bucket ...I leave my minnow bucket in the 5 gallon bucket ..this is my "dead stick" set up ....did lose a HT plastic reel jigging rod cause I didn't teather it to my tip down ...Ps what falls near a hole goes in the  hole
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Thanks for the response and some of the suggestions  :) although some were BS and off topic, never the less entertaining and interesting ;D.  My reason for such a device is that I normally hold my rod firmly  :o (so to speak) :P  while fishing, but in two instances, I have set it down to help my grandchildren or a fellow fisherman, and it has been pulled down the hole.  I had cheap reels on them and the drag was set too tight :(,  but regardless, they are gone.  This situation has provided an oppurtune excuse to get some of the 13 Fishing's tickle stick ice rods  ;),  which I don't want to donate to the lake.  I was just wondering if anyone has seen a crosspiece type of item made to attach on the rod ahead of the reel seat that would cross the rod perpendicular to it and catch it if it started down the hole.  Although, the suggestion of tieing a 2 X 4 to it is somewhat like what I had in mind  :o,  I thought I might want to downsize that a bit and add a little more finesse to it @).  I may cut some old carbon arrows that I have and try to make something along these lines to do the job.  Any other suggestions and comments would be welcome.  Thanks.  Happy trails !  :tipup:

Well it looks like you have the sense of humor, I have just what your looking for I'll draw it up in a while and post it.
Thomas Harris

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
If the tip of the pole is over the hole and your drag is set you won't lose a pole in this.
Thomas Harris

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
If the tip of the pole is over the hole and your drag is set you won't lose a pole in this.

I'm a little confused ...your device is placed in a partly drilled hole near your fishing hole ..correct ? Ps neat and simple .

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
I'm a little confused ...your device is placed in a partly drilled hole near your fishing hole ..correct ? Ps neat and simple .

I just set it by the hole and bury the base with slush after the slush is frozen it goes right back down in the same spot and seems to hold there. Its not bullet proof but I guess if you wanted, it could easily be anchored down. I normally yank the entire thing up and fight the fish lol. They pack up nice and don't tangle with things like my old wire stands did.
Thomas Harris

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Could put a 45* angle on the tail end ...drill a hole through it  and Eskimo  ice anchor it to the ice ..you have got the ol' gears a spinning some

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
how about something really simple. Like a length of parachute cord, maybe 10 ft. A small anchor of some sort on one end and a 6 inch length of velcro on the other, you know the type with the hooks on one side and loops on the other. then if you need to walk away from your rod you can wrap the velcro around the reel stem and if it goes down the hole you can at least retrive it and dry it out. Maybe instead of an anchor, put velcro on both ends and just attach one end to a chair, bucket, tacklebox, shelter... whatever and the other end to the rod and reel.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Could put a 45* angle on the tail end ...drill a hole through it  and Eskimo  ice anchor it to the ice ..you have got the ol' gears a spinning some

I use a cordless drill on my nils I think a small hole in the center of the base and a 5" screw would be more than enough to hold it down.
Thomas Harris

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I use a cordless drill on my nils I think a small hole in the center of the base and a 5" screw would be more than enough to hold it down.

More then enough ..but I always have my Eskimo anchors ..they by far are the best ...easy in and out w/o fail ...and I tried/have them all

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
Maybe a piece of fiberglass flag pole velcroed to the pole to form a +?  The fiberglass is lightweight and easy to store and easy on and off.

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
http://jiggertotter.webs.com/  or just weld a fender washer to a cheap holder and use a grabber screw to secure it to the ice

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict

That's only true if you only fish for something no bigger than a soup ladle.

To the OP I use the round locking rod holders, here is a similar post I replied to earlier in the year.  The only difference with the ones I use is instead of a round end for the butt mine is more of a saddle to make for a quick hook set if you notice a bite.

Like was said here, many rod holders do a great job.  I have a few like these but slightly different --> http://www.cabelas.ca/product/14820/valper-ice-fishing-rod-locker

They have prevented many a monster pike or walleye from stocking there own basements with my gear  ;).

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i always just tether my dead rods to something that won't fit down the hole. usually that's one of the wire rod holders my dad made years and years ago before i was old enough to fish with him (which is saying something, cuz i caught my first fish at 10 months old), otherwise i have some D-rings attached to my sled and roughly 100 feet of rope.

Offline dirtyted

• IceShanty Rookie
A buddy of mine ties a bobber to the handle of pole longer than mm the depth he is is fishing. The bobber floasts if the rodf goes down. Then just retrieve the pole. He does this in his permanent shack when his kids are there. Its a little messy at times but works.   

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I just reel up before leaving it unattended. or you can open the bail or out reel in free spool. anchor the line under the rod. this way, if you do get bit, the fish pulls the line free and takes runs with the line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.