New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 2015 NYS Ice Pro-Am and Winter Classic Tournament Thread  (Read 28170 times)

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 2015 NYS Ice Pro-Am and Winter Classic Tournament Thread
« Reply #120 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:49 AM »
On the event pages portion on the site it allows you to click on all the events besides Oneida.  Is there anywhere to get the event specific info for Oneida?

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #121 on: Feb 08, 2015, 12:07 PM »
On the event pages portion on the site it allows you to click on all the events besides Oneida.  Is there anywhere to get the event specific info for Oneida?

Working on it right now. Should be up later tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Ok, thanks.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #123 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Oneida Event pages are now online! @)

http://www.nysiceproam.com/OneidaLake-TeamOnly.html
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Feb 10, 2015, 05:35 AM »
Tim, for one reason or another, bass pro in auburn has not called in or reported my fish.  Can u please look into it.  Thanks
Christian komanecky

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #125 on: Feb 10, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Tim, for one reason or another, bass pro in auburn has not called in or reported my fish.  Can u please look into it.  Thanks
Christian komanecky
Yeah, I can give them a ring! @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Is there any truth that this Sundays tournament on Oneida is going to have changes?  Have heard from some people because of the slush I guess.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #127 on: Feb 10, 2015, 05:40 PM »
***2/15/15 Team-Only Event on Oneida has been moved to Sodus Bay***

Due to recommendations from our local sources on Oneida and the deteriorating travel conditions on the lake (2-3 ft of snow turning to slush coupled with pressure cracks becoming dangerous areas), we have made the decision to move the event this Sunday to Sodus Bay. We apologize for any inconvenience, but angler safety and smooth event logistics are of the upmost importance and essential to the success of our events. We will be in contact with those teams who have already registered and paid for the event for a refund or we can forward their registration to Sodus. Here are the details of the new event location:
*Check-in/registration will be at the Sodus Pt. Firehall from 2:30-6am.
*Shotgun/weigh-in location preliminarily planned for Maiden Lane ice access on Sodus Point (pending ice access conditions).
*Fish species for each team will be: 3 largest pike by weight and 12 largest yellow perch by weight.
*All pike will be run to weigh-in as soon as caught (except optional run-in for walking teams) - all teams will be given tournament flags so anglers can temporarily leave gear. Weigh-in station/hub will be set-up at shotgun location.
*Awards ceremony will occur at shotgun/weigh-in location.
*Current ice conditions on Sodus Bay: 14-20" of ice with 1-1.5 ft of snow on top. Wheelers may have some trouble in spots. It is walkable, but a work-out. Will give updates as we get closer.
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #128 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:52 PM »
So Chaumont is north west.   Where would I like to see it at boss j
Just enjoying life

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #129 on: Feb 11, 2015, 03:02 AM »
how about another portion of this BIG state...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #130 on: Feb 11, 2015, 05:47 AM »
I do know - been doing an ice event for more than 40 years and know exactly what you are up against.  One of them being mother nature, which we have no control over.  Never cancelled an event for conditions in those 40+ years.  Some years come together like a clock works, some, not so much.  Put the event on as advertised and take your hits when they come.  The hits from the changes may hurt worse than a failed, or not well attended event.  There's a reason most all the ice-fishing events in NY are done by non-profit/volunteer organizations - they do not "need" the income. I love fishing competitions but I will never follow a set events that change as much as yours do.
That's only been my experience, and it's only my opinion. 
Your efforts are commendable.
Good luck with your endeavor - really.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #131 on: Feb 11, 2015, 06:54 AM »
The reason most establishments put their events on regardless is because they are not mobile. Their facility or clubhouse is the only place they can run their operations from. We are different in that respect - we can move if conditions warrant. And yes, we do have expenses to worry about that they do not. Pluses and minuses for each. As for changes, some things can not be avoided as we establish the main, large events. Sodus is not going to change as our last series ending event. We are trying to find another and that will not be done without some initial hurdles (hence the Chaumont Bay/Black Lake event being moved to only Chaumont Bay). That was politically driven and we really had no choice. As for changing locations from year to year, that is part of the draw of our events - to try fishing on new waterways to expand anglers horizons, test their true skills at mastering a new waterway and/or new species, and see where events run well and where they run not so well. I realize change is not for everyone, and that's ok. Right now we are laying the groundwork for and are appealing to a much larger audience than NYS anglers. This may become apparent in the upcoming years.  @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I understand there's an enormous amount of time and energy that goes into these events, especially since it is only the 2nd year. I'm sure the big bass series that have the big money and fame went over some bumps along the way. I was into the FLW and a few other series for a little while. They are a lot of fun and challenging. It would be nice to have an equivalent during the ice season. I think they are getting close to a winning formula and just need to roll with the punches and smooth out a few wrinkles.I'm just starting to get into ice tournaments myself. I've really enjoyed the ones I've fished. Not sure if I will ever attend one of these events because I'm not a tip up guy so some of the species you need to catch I never target. I was thinking about entering the Oneida event but didn't because of the pickerel and couldn't find anyone who wanted to fish it. Would have gone solo but the format would have put me at quite the disadvantage. Hope the series does work out for those organizing it.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #133 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Thanks BudMan, we are doing our best and keeping the anglers in mind with every decision. I hope no one thinks it's easy to switch the event over to Sodus - this has put an enormous workload on me yesterday and today, and I would much rather just run the event on Oneida! However, when I hear words like "disaster" and "dangerous" and "hidden" and "virtually impossible" from multiple sources I can't sit back and "wait and see". The Triple Crown Series Title requires 3 team scores. To be able to drop one score is a huge relief to those teams, especially if they had a bad day or dropped the ball or whatever, versus if waited to see what Oneida is like and potentially had to cancel the event, leaving all three team scores left being counted.

One of our teams pre-fished today on Sodus and reported the following:
"Made it out and set-up, chains definitely for wheelers right now. Sleds 100% good. 6-12" drifts with slush underneath out to 100 yards from shore, then all snow with some bare spots. It's very managable."

Again, we didn't make the call because it's easier or in our best interest, but rather out of safety concerns brought forth from multiple sources and other factors that I cannot mention at this time that are bigger than the Series itself.
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #134 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:32 PM »
I was hoping to fish Oneida as i never have in past im not a walleye guy was always just a tip up guy going to the Indian River lakes going after toothy critters just for fun.  Guy that i had fished with in past talked me in to trying this series and has been fun some good guys. Maybe you are one of them but the way you attacked tim about moving the event just seems childish imo. I understand that i was going to be fishing in slush went i registered my sled just in case atv wouldn't work. Im fan of try Oneida as it was lot closer and by the looks of photos lots of the eyes would be closer in size to each other and that keeps it interesting i feel. So best of luck to you bcons and maybe some day we can meet on the ice and talk about fishing
Just enjoying life

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:57 PM »
 We will be there to fish sodus bay this weekend ...tuff call for everybody involved ...I was looking to try for some walleyes...
 The last thing we need is for somebody to get hurt...gas holes, pressure cracks, water pouring on ice,all safety issues... I have never fished there 
 before how is 1 to know in deep snow & slush...I have fished these tournaments & walked some of them even took 2nd place when I was walking
 1year ... hey they will call pro bass tournament for thunder & lightling...very cold this weekend stay on top guys ...pro-am  Team EatMe
images.jpeg

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #136 on: Feb 13, 2015, 12:13 PM »
We'll see ya there Dewey!! Everything is set now and ready to go for Sunday's event on Sodus. I've heard from a number of teams planning to fish the event, so despite moving it there looks to be a decent number of teams. The bay did receive some snows last night and strong winds, so while a lot of the snow blew off, there are still areas of slush and larger drifts that will make travel via wheeler very difficult, and possibly by Sunday not possible. It is advised for all teams to plan on bringing sleds or walking the event Also, please keep in mind that all pike need to be run in when caught - the pike fishery in Sodus is the best it has ever been right now and we want to make every effort to keep it that way.  We will have weigh-in bags available for any teams that do not have a good way to transport the fish to the weigh-in for use during the event.  @)

It will be very cold on Sunday so heaters are highly suggested. I will have extra propane tanks in the weigh-in station should anyone run out and need more. We may also have breakfast sandwiches/coffee/hot choc available at registration as we now have a new sponsor: Dish It Out Deli & Eatery. I will be speaking with them later today to work out the details.
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Feb 13, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Sunday on Sodus Bay will be the coldest conditions that most of us have probably ever experienced anywhere.  Very windy, especially for areas just south of Lake Ontario like Sodus. Temperatures maybe not getting above zero.  Tomorrow afternoon we should all get a very heavy burst of snow with another reinforcing arctic cold front.  Not trying to scare anyone away.  I'm just kind of a meteorologist and get excited for extreme weather and will be fishing no matter what.  Looking forward to the challenge!

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #138 on: Feb 13, 2015, 05:37 PM »
No worries! Other than the risk of frostbite and driving in whiteout conditions, the ice is very stable on Sodus. No doubt it will be brutal out there!! @)
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Feb 16, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I have a Fish I need to bring in for final weigh in on Sunday, do i bring it  frozen or thawed??

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Hey Tim, i have a Fish in my freezer   to bring into sodus Fire Hall on Sunday for the winter classic' final weigh in. Do I bring in frozen  in thawd. I would love to have a reponse asap.  Thanks!!

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #141 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Hey Tim, i have a Fish in my freezer   to bring into sodus Fire Hall on Sunday for the winter classic' final weigh in. Do I bring in frozen  in thawd. I would love to have a reponse asap.  Thanks!!
Tim, Eyeball asked you a question he's still waiting for an answer, please respond

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:53 AM »
My Fish was weighted in day it was caught. Now it's in my freezer waiting to go to sodus Fire Hall on Sunday.

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #143 on: Feb 17, 2015, 09:59 AM »
This coming weekend is looking like a great tournament weekend! The forecast is calling for temps in the 20's with only a slight chance for snow showers, and the fishing in Sodus has been amazing for pike and getting better for the perch. All the information for the event including registration can be found at: www.NYSiceproam.com
Tim Thomas
President & CEO

Captain

Offline Lunkerbass21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Fished it last year and had a great time.  Thought they did a good job too.  I caught a small gill and won 2nd place.  The stuff they gave me for that tiny fish was awesome.  See ya on the ice Saturday!!
newyorkfishingreport

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Really looking forward to this weekend. My buddy and I will be coming from Lyndonville to participate in the tourney. Cant wait to get on the ice and hopefully win a few prizes. Can anyone explain the difference between the "Pro" division and the "Open" division? Is it basically a more expensive entry fee for a better chance at bigger prizes?
Empire State Fishing

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #146 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:56 PM »
Team vs open in simple form imo is cost and bigger prizes for the teams
Just enjoying life

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Ok. We are planning on participating as a team so we will need to register in the "Pro" division?
Empire State Fishing

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #148 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:08 PM »
Ok. We are planning on participating as a team so we will need to register in the "Pro" division?
Just remember in to be to fire hall to register and meeting Friday night at 7 pm
Just enjoying life

Offline Lunkerbass21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #149 on: Feb 17, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Don't do the Pro division...just do the open for 30 bucks.  Pro teams have fish other tourneys as well to win.
newyorkfishingreport

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.