The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Live Bait vs. Decoys  (Read 3328 times)

Offline ptJim

• IceShanty Rookie
Live Bait vs. Decoys
« on: Jul 02, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I'm from South Dakota and have speared for around 5 years now and have tried both decoys and live bait but have found live bait works the best for me. It seems like everyone on here predominately uses decoys and have had good luck. What are your guys' opinions on decoys vs. live bait?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Live Bait vs. Decoys
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Welcome to the site...   There are a few guys that will help  you out on here...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2014, 07:49 PM »
PT you dont have to respond on open forum if you dont like but what waters are you spearing , I know a few that you may like if they are close enough for you
governments should fear their citizens
“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”― Socrates
I miss North Dakota (least I did till the oil moved in )

Offline ptJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Lake Sharpe and Lake Oahe near Pierre, Sd. Depths from 8 to 15, varying viz anywhere from crystal clear to barely 4 feet.

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2014, 07:00 PM »
I'm east river Huron  - De smet area probably further than you want to go

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2014, 08:53 AM »
A custom wood decoy is all I used for the last three seasons not just because I carve them, but I seem to see just as many fish and bigger fish, they come in slower, it's cheaper and easier then dealing with live bait all the time, I spear about 4 days a week in the winter and carve decoys and forge spears the other 3 days as I'm laid off all winter, lol!

Offline Highball

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2014, 11:49 PM »
I prefer artificial decoys as well for the vast majority of my sits. It's just too much of a pain to keep a decoy alive, tote it back and forth, etc.
Proud member of Michigan Darkhouse Angling Association!

Offline ptJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Bowcarp, I go to school in Brookings and plan on spearing while I'm at school. What lake would you recommend around tye Brookings area?

Offline smilinmallard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Sep 03, 2014, 07:45 AM »
PT, I am in the Watertown area. We use both live chubs and decoys. I have the best luck on big fish with live chubs. 15 inch and larger are the best. If you can't get them over 12 inches a decoy works better. We air pack the biggest ones back from Dakotamart in Pierre when we are out that way. Proud angler in Watertown will also get big ones for us. Best lakes up here are Dry Lake and Lake Norden.
Shriv

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2014, 11:12 AM »
I always have a live sucker minnow swimming in my hole. Not sure why its just how I was taught to do it.

There are a few of us that spear together on a local lake. We all try different approaches at times. Live only, live with an artificial, artificial only etc..... It does not seem to make much difference in my opinion. When the fish are on and moving they are going to come in.

I think the thing you can control with presentation a little bit is how they come in. Aggressive jigging seems to bring them in fast and hard vs leaving the decoys alone they tend to come in slow for a look. There are days though that it seems the only way to get them to take a look is to jig aggressively. But.... just when you think you have them figured out they do just the opposite of what has worked in the past and you start over trying to figure them out. I guess that's what makes spearing so much fun.
Know before you throw

Offline bowcarp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 PM »
ptjim sorry I'm replying late but smilinmallard listed two good lakes , dry lake  by (willow lake the town) and spirt north of desmet would be a good one lake thompson could be another good choice they usually have nice clear water under the ice poinsett may be a good choice I,m not sure about oakwood

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:18 PM »
I have only seen big pike come in on live bait.  I know people take monsters on decoys, and I have had a lot of action on them as well, but all the big pike I have seen or taken have come off live bait.

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 06:31 PM »
I like both! I start with a decoy and some pike come FLYING in and hit it and swim out just as fast! Sometimes they just sit off to the side. I often will catch a sucker and put it in a custom harness. When they rapidly take off, get ready on the spear!!! Talk about fun.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I use both at same time usually.... Most the times I do like a 12-18 inch drop below the fake decoy and have a live sucker or bluegill or perch below it all on 1 line

Offline mwal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I prefer wood decoys but if the fish are not responding I will go get a big sucker 12 inches or bigger. Only if I don's have a response to wood on a muti day trip

Mwal

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:57 PM »
 I usually run both at the same time. I enjoy working the wood decoys, but sometimes the live decoy holds their attention a little longer, after they lose interest in the fake one.
 If I'm spearing heavily stained or muddied water conditions, then I'll strictly use fake decoys. The brighter color options help a lot. Tough to see a natural colored bait, in those type of conditions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.