Author Topic: fillet or gut and behead salmon (open water of course)  (Read 2632 times)

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hey guys just gearing up for April 1st and I was curious does anyone actually fillet the salmon and rainbows that they catch or is it not worth the hassel and just stick to gutting and taking the heads off? I find it a pain to eat trout and salmon with the bones in and trying to pick the meat away from the rib cage, so i dont usually keep em.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fillet or gut and behead salmon (open water of course)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:05 AM »
some how i dont think it will be this easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPR7atw72l8

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:16 AM »

Looks like a lot of wasted meat to me. This is how I do my bows. I gut and behead them. I dust them in my special seasoning mix. Stuff them with Deavallia (sp?) onions if in season. Olive oil in the fry pan and cook over low heat for a few minutes tilll a fork will go through the backstrap, flip them and do the other side. After they are done I crank the heat to med-hi and brown the skin to make them crisy. The key to getting the bones off easy is to have moisture inside (reason for the onions) and to not over cook it. Larger fish I will bake them but I usually keep pan size ones for the fry pan.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:19 AM »

Practice on some Pickerel first... pretty much the same method and much easier to grab a couple quick ones anywhere. I fillet everything because if I get even one bone in a bite of fish I won't eat the rest, total appetite killer for me.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Practice on some Pickerel first... pretty much the same method and much easier to grab a couple quick ones anywhere. I fillet everything because if I get even one bone in a bite of fish I won't eat the rest, total appetite killer for me.

yeah i hear ya there that is what im worried about with the wife not wanting to eat caught fish because of bones

Looks like a lot of wasted meat to me. This is how I do my bows. I gut and behead them. I dust them in my special seasoning mix. Stuff them with Deavallia (sp?) onions if in season. Olive oil in the fry pan and cook over low heat for a few minutes tilll a fork will go through the backstrap, flip them and do the other side. After they are done I crank the heat to med-hi and brown the skin to make them crisy. The key to getting the bones off easy is to have moisture inside (reason for the onions) and to not over cook it. Larger fish I will bake them but I usually keep pan size ones for the fry pan.

that sounds delicious, im not the best chef so over cooking may be the issue aswell

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:59 AM »
I don't even take the heads off. I gut them and stuff with some butter and a lot of pepper and throw on the grill.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Anything approaching 18" and above I fillet.  And it is as easy as the video...

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:00 AM »
how are those lateral line bones to find?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:18 AM »
 anything under 18" goes back.. i filet both trout and salmon.... I use a painr of long nose ( thin tip) needle nose pliars to remove the pin bones along the lateral line... it takes some practice to get your method down and the bigger the fish the easier the job... once you've done a few it's not all that bad.. it's the only way my wife will eat them...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:23 AM »
anything under 18" goes back.. i filet both trout and salmon.... I use a painr of long nose ( thin tip) needle nose pliars to remove the pin bones along the lateral line... it takes some practice to get your method down and the bigger the fish the easier the job... once you've done a few it's not all that bad.. it's the only way my wife will eat them...

that must save more of the fillet i would imagine

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good luck to anyone who wets a line
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I don't even take the heads off. I gut them and stuff with some butter and a lot of pepper and throw on the grill.
agreed. I heard years ago that if you break the spinal cord spinal fluid will leak into the meat. Being a skeptic i did a study myself. Much to my surprise the trout i left whole tasted much less fishy. Also seemed to taste alittle sweeter. Also if cooked correctly you should be able to run a fork in the same direction as the bones and the meat should come right off. Once you have done one whole side grab the fish by the mouth and pull slowly and all the meat from the second half should stay right where it is and the head spine and tail should come right off. It is hard to fillet anything under 18-20in. Just my two cents good luck on the open water.
Tight lines to all!

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2014, 12:10 PM »
how are those lateral line bones to find?

Very easy to find the lateral, or "pin," bones... run a fingertip down the fillet and you'll feel the tips of the bones apprx along the same location as the lateral line of the fish... they go down about to the end of the ribcage.

Roccus' method of picking out each individual pin bone does in fact reduce the amount of meat lost over if you cut the line out like on the video, but as he said, its harder and more time consuming on smaller fish. I always just cut the small strip of meat out.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2014, 12:15 PM »
agreed. I heard years ago that if you break the spinal cord spinal fluid will leak into the meat. Being a skeptic i did a study myself. Much to my surprise the trout i left whole tasted much less fishy. Also seemed to taste alittle sweeter. Also if cooked correctly you should be able to run a fork in the same direction as the bones and the meat should come right off. Once you have done one whole side grab the fish by the mouth and pull slowly and all the meat from the second half should stay right where it is and the head spine and tail should come right off. It is hard to fillet anything under 18-20in. Just my two cents good luck on the open water.

i never thought about that but i suppose it makes sense, yeah i would fillet anything small. Good luck to you aswell this season

Very easy to find the lateral, or "pin," bones... run a fingertip down the fillet and you'll feel the tips of the bones apprx along the same location as the lateral line of the fish... they go down about to the end of the ribcage.

Roccus' method of picking out each individual pin bone does in fact reduce the amount of meat lost over if you cut the line out like on the video, but as he said, its harder and more time consuming on smaller fish. I always just cut the small strip of meat out.

i will have to give it a try if i get anything worth filleting

Offline Burt Lake Ron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Usually, I gut and behead them and bake em.  Once they're done,  I grab the backbone where the head came off (once they've cooled some) and using a fork press the fillet on the bottom side away from the backbone while lifting it up.  Once that is done I flip over the fish and do the same to the other side.  When I'm done I'm holding the entire skeletal piece in one hand and the two filets are lying on the plate ready to be served.  Occasionally, a rib bone or two will break off in the filet but not a big deal.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Usually, I gut and behead them and bake em.  Once they're done,  I grab the backbone where the head came off (once they've cooled some) and using a fork press the fillet on the bottom side away from the backbone while lifting it up.  Once that is done I flip over the fish and do the same to the other side.  When I'm done I'm holding the entire skeletal piece in one hand and the two filets are lying on the plate ready to be served.  Occasionally, a rib bone or two will break off in the filet but not a big deal.

Lots of times when you cut off the head, you sever some of the front rib bones, so that when you pull out the backbone some pieces of the first few ribs are left in the fish. Also, I have found that depending on the species and the cooking time, the pin/lateral bones have a tendancy to fall off too.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2014, 01:32 PM »
that must save more of the fillet i would imagine

once you start pulling them .. each one gets easier.. I use a paper towel to wipe the bones on as i pull them... as others have said you can feel them and once you get a "line of sight" on them it takes little effort to pull them out...it just like any filet tecnique.. once you master it it becomes second nature..

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:15 PM »
I cook them whole, leaving heads on too. nice little piece of meat in the cheek bone too. Like others said use fok to pull meat away going in the direction of the bones, you can almost get an entire filet size pice of meat without any bones. Then grab the head and pull up on spine th entire skeleton comes out leaving you a big boneless piece. Occasionally if its a big salmon, I filet one side and cook the whole fish filet side down on a cedar plank. Tastes the B....Ls......
Salmonemia

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:42 PM »

X2 :)

Offline deerhunter5503

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:42 PM »
I filet all trout and salmon. I would recomend a really good filet knife and a good technique. I don't get much waste at all except for the occasional screw up. Used to cook them whole but I love to stuff the salmon filets and make a florentine. Same with trout or I just filet and fry. If anyone is looking for a good recipe try a salmon florentine absolutely delicious. Something about spinach feta and balsamic stuffing is awesome 
Like, Share, and Subscribe
https://www.youtube.com/user/HuntDucks5503/videos

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Looks like a lot of wasted meat to me......

Wasting perfectly good food is something that really bugs me, and the method shown is quite wasteful.  Cooking fish dressed, and with head still on allows one to enjoy it all, including the cheeks, and the bones come out very easily when cooked.

Ted

Offline fullerbn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:26 PM »
i personally gut and behead trout of any size but salmon i filet, i find salmon to be easy to filet but trout you lose so much meat by trying to filet it's just not worth it to me.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:45 PM »
It depends how I'm cooking them.  If I'm going to stuff and bake, I gut and behead.  This is how I do most salmon.  Though, I also smoke salmon/trout/whitefish fillets and occasionally try recipes with fillets.  If the fish are large, I fillet and pull the pin bones out with forceps.  I sometimes cut the bones out as well, though usually only if I'm cutting the fillets into chunks before cooking (i.e. poor man's lobster with lake trout). 

There is very little wasted meat with a properly filleted salmon or trout.  A good, sharp fillet knife is a must.  Too many people try to get by with just a kitchen knife, which doesn't usually end well.

Some rainbow trout fillets that I'm going to smoke:

"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:43 AM »
alot of good tips guys i appreciate all the input.

that Florentine recipe sounds delicious too.

With any luck i will post a rport after the opener and let you guys know how i made out and how i ended up butchering/filleting the fish, thanks again guys. good luck to anyone still ice fishing and to those that will be out on tuesday!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:02 AM »
i personally gut and behead trout of any size but salmon i filet, i find salmon to be easy to filet but trout you lose so much meat by trying to filet it's just not worth it to me.
try an electric knife.... I was skeptical myself.. but a friend and fellow charter captain insisted once I mastered the learning curve I'd be in love.. he  was right... 0 meat is lost... it can make a pile of white perch into a tasty supper in half the time it would take with my sharpest Dexter.. skinning is a breeze.. when it comes to trout and salmon.. you can shave the bone if you desire to get that close.... I cut right through the rib cage and trim it out after...

Offline deerhunter5503

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Good luck on the opener if you find open water. My boat is still sitting in the garage. Spring feels like it's months away haha. I might try and find moving water and go on foot or maybe canoe
Like, Share, and Subscribe
https://www.youtube.com/user/HuntDucks5503/videos

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Good luck on the opener if you find open water. My boat is still sitting in the garage. Spring feels like it's months away haha. I might try and find moving water and go on foot or maybe canoe

yeah thats why i love my kayak, can pretty much slip into any open water there is haha

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:53 AM »
I use to always just gut and grill but my wife and daugher like it so much better fileted.  For the past few years, I filet all my trout and salmon.  I've done so many now it's as easy as doing pan fish.  It's simple and I don't feel I'm wasting anything at all.  Much less work for those eating them too.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:00 AM »
This is how mine look now - my wife and daughter love trout but they don't like picking through the bones so this keeps us all happy, happy, happy.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Nice looking fillets OD & Lippin.  :)
Happy, happy, happy is a good thing.  ;D

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 27, 2014, 11:18 AM »
those fillets looks good. That is the exact reason why i wanna start filleting them my wife hates picking around the bones, and to be honest im not a big fan of it either haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.