Author Topic: The ultimate bait shop  (Read 9927 times)

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
The ultimate bait shop
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:23 AM »
I was wondering what you all would want to see in your ultimate baitshop. I have been trying to figure out why some people do things they do. I've been in the obvious chain stores which sell everything from apparel to hunting equipement and so on, but I want to focus on just fishing. One of the best bait shops I have seen had great long lasting bait, had a nice assortment of jigs and poles, and even had a nice little snack bar. The only problem of the place is that it didnt open till 8am and I tend to hit the water by 5am. Another baitshop I was at I had gone in and waited for someone to come out from the back for a good 15 minutes, there was a couple other customers which were waiting longer who just wanted to scoop the bait themselves and leave some change on the counter. Anyway I would like other peoples opinions on this, and even some stories or a description of their favorite bait shop. I believe enjoying ice fishing takes enjoying the whole experience, especially when you can chit chat about ice stories and the person sincerely cares you have good luck out there. :tipup: ;D
<

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: The ultimate bait shop
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:34 AM »
This is a good question and a thinker!

In no particular order...

1) Hours of operation...Open early..Open late
2) organization...I dont like looking all over the place or digging for things
3) Keep like items together (worms all togther not seperated all over the store)
4) Good selection of name Brands...and some locals
5) Knowledge of the Areas Waters (types of fish, access and regs)
6) decent prices...does not have to be the cheapest..just not the most expensive either
7) bait selection..worms..leec hes..minnows..frogs..c rawfish..waxies..baits of the area
8) Friendly Staff
9) Signs or Price on the merchandise..I hate waiting in line only to find out it was way more then I want to pay
10) terminal tackle..I always need more hooks, sinkers ect..
11) Good atmosphere...I like to see photos from tophy fish or mounted fish on the walls..
12) In stock...none of this 1's and 2's and always running out.

I know I missed somthing

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:07 PM »
BuckShotJon asked the very same question about 2 years ago....  There was quite a lengthy list of responses as I recall.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:11 PM »
1)Good selection
2)open at around 5:00-close at 8:00
3)healthy bait (I hate it when 1/2 of the minnows are dead by the time I get to my spot)
4)friendly staff that know about all kinds of fishing
5)minimal ammounts of stuff "made in china, japan, mexico"
6)ORGANIZED
7)Food, drinks, Ice
8)Outdoorsman atmosphere (Clean....but not as clean as a doctor's office)
I did not cover everything, but its a start  ;)
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Good question but i cant answer fish 307 takes care of my every whim.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:50 PM »
ultimate baitshop?

I go in, they know my name, they have what I need, and if they don't they work with me. 

Their prices are fair, and staff knowledgable...and not FULL of BS

fish307

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I get my bait at Wiggly worm Bait shop in Burnt Hills  Bill is the Best there is
  You always get much more than you pay for and his price has not gone up in years
   I'm ten miles away from the shop but it is well worth the trip
I Live To Fish

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:26 PM »
I used to live near a bait/barber shop.  Talk about to convenient!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:32 PM »
Fish 307 is the ultimate baitshop...

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:33 PM »
The owner lives upstairs or right next door. If the door to the bait shop is locked, there is a doorbell you can ring and someone will come to sell you bait . . . anytime . . . 24/7. 
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:36 PM »
Alot of places out here use the honor system where there is a seperate entrance to where they keep the bait so you can let yourself in after hours and leave the money in a coffee can.

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2005, 03:43 PM »
Great replys so far....a couple I got from a buddy of mine.

1) Bait delivery...Im thinking that could get kinda hairy
2) Hot selection of soup to take in the thermos...since we both have culinary backgrounds.
3) Drive Thru
4) Call ahead
5) Shanty Storage

Keep em coming....maybe someone out there will take the dive on this.
<

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:54 PM »
How about a bait club.  You pay an amount in advance and get a key to a sectioned off bait room.  This way members could help themselves any time they want.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I like the idea of calling ahead and having bait all set aside for you but then again i have never seen a long line waiting for bait at a bait shop.
 I also like the sit down and shoot the bull  idea with tables and chairs so we can all brag about the fish we caught lol

1. Early hours
2. Good selection of Traps, Lures,Skimmers, Sounders, Electronics, Augers, Sleds
3. A board with heaviest and longest fish per fish species with a picture of the fish and the person who caught it, when someone comes in with a bigger fish they take over the spot
4. A bakers dozen (at least one smelt always dies on the trip to the lake)
5. Bargain Corner where you can get good deals on stuff not selling.
6. A small section of used items for sale that you could buy if you didnt have the money for new stuff.
7. and oh yah   good fresh bait

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2005, 06:04 PM »
OK i was at my usual bait shop today and there was a standing line for bait. I couldnt believe it, but good job for him though. He handled it well. Wish the regulars could get a speed pass or something, but oh well was interesting listening to some of the people chat about how bad the fishing was where they were. Good thing they didnt follow me.
<

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2005, 07:37 PM »
A place where a "dozen" minnows is measured by a hefty netfull, not where they scoop and count to the dozen. >:(  Where you don't have to wait too long to be waited on, and they are up on local conditions.  Descent prices and selection (I don't mind paying a little more if I walk away happy).  Some kind of food (snack) available. And all liars fisherman are welcome. :whistle: :roflmao: :whistle:  
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:34 PM »
There's a combination bait/ice cream shop near my house.  That one always kills me.  I also have a bait shop run by "The Scary Lady."  Picture missing teeth, gravelly smoker's voice, 260 lbs? in a flowered moo-moo dress, terrible attitude, counts bait down to the smallest crappie minnow, shelves last restocked in 1988, she came out of the back once with leaves in her remaining hair.  None of that is exaggerated, I swear on my vex.  I wish I could paint a better picture.  We only go there when we're in the mood for a scare and we already have everything we need for the day.

At my local bait shop they:
-Know my name and what I fish for
-Always have fresh coffee
-Manage to maintain the perfect balance of quality info and good humored BS
-Have great live bait
-Let me scoop my own bait and guestimate the quantity
-Hire knowledgable and friendly staff.  Except for the requisite grumy old codger, who is accepted as local flavor
-Don't have the best prices in town but make up for it with atmosphere, knowledge, and courtesy
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2005, 02:49 AM »
yeah i dont like it when the person behind the counter has no clue whats going on. I was at my place of bait supply and they guy goes to me...how should i know, i work all day. After that I havent seen him there again. haha.

ok here is an idea...what if someone had a invention corner....so people could sell there homemade inventions.
<

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2006, 11:44 AM »
OK I got my baitshop to at least offer a little coffee to the patrons now and then. Looks like I'm going to have to get the money to open my own to get what i want. ;D

I wonder if a place offered to clean your days catch if that would attract alot too. I know throughout the season there are days I dread cleaning those buggers, but the dinner is always nice.

<

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Tom's Bait Shop in Hydeville, VT is my ideal bait shop.
I miss Tom, but they are still doing a great job.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Enjoy em while you can ladies and gentlemen. The Mom and Pops are going extinct due to competition from Wallmart, Kmart, Bass Proshops etc. If they don't go big and prefer to stay small they are doomed. A good one puts in long hours -- 7 days a week at least 12 hours a day. Some are stuck in the business not making much money and get burned out.

What really gets me is guys that go to Wallmart to save a few pennies on items that are probably seconds anyway, and are waited on by someone that doesn't have a clue, and complain when they can't get any minnows because the local Mom and Pop went out of business. Helloooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo o!

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:58 PM »
There's a combination bait/ice cream shop near my house.  That one always kills me.  I also have a bait shop run by "The Scary Lady."  Picture missing teeth, gravelly smoker's voice, 260 lbs? in a flowered moo-moo dress, terrible attitude, counts bait down to the smallest crappie minnow, shelves last restocked in 1988, she came out of the back once with leaves in her remaining hair.  None of that is exaggerated, I swear on my vex.  I wish I could paint a better picture.  We only go there when we're in the mood for a scare and we already have everything we need for the day.
At my local bait shop they:
-Know my name and what I fish for
-Always have fresh coffee
-Manage to maintain the perfect balance of quality info and good humored BS
-Have great live bait
-Let me scoop my own bait and guestimate the quantity
-Hire knowledgable and friendly staff.  Except for the requisite grumy old codger, who is accepted as local flavor
-Don't have the best prices in town but make up for it with atmosphere, knowledge, and courtesy

Auger,

I've been entertained more than once by your posts! I think you should consider writing a book. And your avatar is hillarious! You da man!  :roflmao: :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:

I think I have a good explanation for the leaves in the hair. Alcoholic blackout in the back yard.  :roflmao:
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:15 PM »
Auger,

I've been entertained more than once by your posts! I think you should consider writing a book. And your avatar is hillarious! You da man!  :roflmao: :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:

I think I have a good explanation for the leaves in the hair. Alcoholic blackout in the back yard.  :roflmao:

Thanks for the compliment, taxidermist1.  Glad I could make you smile, which is always one of my goals both here and in life.  Writing a book is on my "Someday I'll..." list.  Right now I need to keep fishing and get more material. ;D
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, taxidermist1.  Glad I could make you smile, which is always one of my goals both here and in life.  Writing a book is on my "Someday I'll..." list.  Right now I need to keep fishing and get more material. ;D

You should probably wait until she dies before you write about the "Scare Lady" anyway. She might not be a happy camper if she read about herself.  ;D

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:43 PM »
one that would deliver bait and beer. pizza too

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:05 PM »
You know you may have some ideas there that could work for a true capitalist!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:14 PM »
The ultimate bait and tackle shop would be on the lake next to my shanty and would move when I move.  There would be a tin-can-and-string phone between the shop and my shanty and they would deliver!

Icy Mike

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:23 PM »
You know you may have some ideas there that could work for a true capitalist!
i have pondered a few ideas of putting a shed on the edge of the ice and sell bait snacks and drinks. then i came to the conclusion that i would have to talk my wife into setting there all day since it would cut into my fishing time. but i am still going to put some numbers together. if i could sell beer then i would have a winner. maybe set up like a delivery service?

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:41 PM »
How about a bait shop staffed by Hooter Girls!! ;D

Offline Fyrwlkr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Wouldnt it be nice if someone had a portable baitshop. Kind of like the ice-cream truck. Brings bait, food, and beer. I liked the post about talking the wife into working it, but what if you just modified your own shack to run it yourself while you are fishing. One thing on that too, how will people know when and where you will be at what time. Seems a little risky because you wouldnt have that constant customer base, but if you made a full time schedule at different lakes I'm sure something would work out.

Keep those ideas rolling,
Fyrwlkr
<

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.