Author Topic: Ice conditions, this time of yr please post county or don't post ice conditions  (Read 10624 times)

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
The way I see it, it's impossible to make ice fishing "safe." Ice conditions vary from one spot to another ON THE SAME LAKE..... The only way it would work is if you posted gps coordinates for the spot you were fishing, insisted that fellow anglers followed your exact trail out to the spot, made sure that variables such as current, air and water temps, gas disharge off the bottom, etc. all remained a constant, weighed each angler to make sure they weighed just what you did......the list could go on forever.

There are simply too many variables involved. Musky's idea is a good one, but I think it's impossible to implement safely, greenhorn or not. Somewhere, you would need to make allowances or approximations......an d that's when trouble happens. What's safe right now, for you, might not be safe an hour from now. Posting the lake is not a guarantee of safety. Ice fishing has always been an "at your own risk" type of endeavor.

Very well said and EXACTLY the reason no one should post ice conditions by lake.  You need exact location and path like you said in order to do what Musky is trying to achieve.  Even then conditions can change by the hour this time of year.  I understand what he wants and it is a noble idea, but reality is it can't be done on an internet forum without putting people at risk due to the various reasons you mentioned.  If you 'help' some but kill one by posting conditions is that a good thing?  IMO I don't think so.  If no one posts conditions, everyone has to check themselves or call a local bait shop.  Even some bait shops will not give conditions and only say if guys are on the lake.  They don't want to be held responsible if something bad should happen. That is why I don't and won't post ice conditions no matter how Musky tries to twist my reasoning into me being selfish or worrying about someone knowing where I fish.  If I was worried about that I would not be on here period. 

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hoosier, please rename this thread "As the auger turns"  This has become a giant pissing match.

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
But why do u expect everyone to believe ur "trust strangers" excuss, U are not a stranger in here. U post in here enough that everyone would trust ur word if you post any ice conditions and u know it. Why would people not trust ur judgement, I would.

I don't trust peole I don't know with my life and don't think anyone here should either.  It really doesn't matter if you believe why I said I don't post conditions.  It is not an excuse, to 'hide' where I fish.  It was how I was taught....to evaluate the ice myself and only take advice on conditions from only those you know and trust.  I was taught trust is earned, not granted.  Unless you know me personally and have fished with me, why would you trust me to keep you safe if I did give an ice report? 

Unless you have met and fished with another, we are all 'internet strangers' that share a hobby.  I can learn about fish, fishing techniques, lures, rods, types of lures and flys and many other things from those 'strangers' but I ignore ice condition posts on this site.  There are several on here I have met, know, fished with and stay in touch with.  Those guys, I may call or text if I need thier opinion on conditions.  They don't post conditions here either.  Most of the time I don't fish more than 30 minutes from my front door, so I can easily check for myself.  I also don't fish dozens of different lakes (less than 10 this year) that I lose touch with the conditions where I fish.  It is a moot point though as no one has to worry about trusting my judgement on ice conditions, because I won't be posting any on here.  I simply don't want people venturing out because I said lake x or y or lakes in county xyz are safe.  Too many variables as spkplug said.

Offline angolajones

• Team IceShanty Regular
When I saw there were four pages on this thread, I figured there was a ton of safe ice.  I also thought I was going to get some new lakes to try.  Unfortunately only Fox lake has safe ice.   Thanks Herm.  There will be 100's of people there fishing for the remaining dozen fish there. 

Jonesy

Offline Musky50

• IceShanty Rookie
My take on ice conditions is what I..........or my group of trusted fishing partners encounter. I would never 100% put my faith in conditions posted on an internet web site.  To me, late ice is the most dangerous and hardest to safely judge.

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
My take on ice conditions is what I..........or my group of trusted fishing partners encounter. I would never 100% put my faith in conditions posted on an internet web site.  To me, late ice is the most dangerous and hardest to safely judge.
I can attest to that, I've gone thru 8" of bad ice. It can be good in the morning and way bad by noon.

Offline Ice_Fly

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have been  on 4 Noble County Indiana public lakes in the last 5 days. have not been out yet today but plan on going this afternoon. Of the 4 lakes I fished, they had approx. 8" of hard snow ice on top of 8" to 10" of good clear ice. As of yesterday, there was minimal slush. And the shore ice was holding well for the most part. Now.... I will not comment on today;s ice in the N.E. corner of Indiana lakes, because I simply to not know.

Besides, all lakes and ponds can vary drastically. Especially first & last ice!

So in my opinion, it is the angler's ultimate responsibility to check for themselves. Not out of unwillingness to share info, but general safety concerns. After all, this is the internet. And I have personally checked supposedly fishable ice only to find open water on the same day!!! Yes, it's the truth. But for all planning on fishing this weekend, it would be advisable to take a pud to check the shoreline, as well as a rope in the unfortunate event someone needs rescued. Just my .02    :tipup:

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't trust peole I don't know with my life and don't think anyone here should either.  It really doesn't matter if you believe why I said I don't post conditions.  It is not an excuse, to 'hide' where I fish.  It was how I was taught....to evaluate the ice myself and only take advice on conditions from only those you know and trust.  I was taught trust is earned, not granted.  Unless you know me personally and have fished with me, why would you trust me to keep you safe if I did give an ice report? 

Unless you have met and fished with another, we are all 'internet strangers' that share a hobby.  I can learn about fish, fishing techniques, lures, rods, types of lures and flys and many other things from those 'strangers' but I ignore ice condition posts on this site.  There are several on here I have met, know, fished with and stay in touch with.  Those guys, I may call or text if I need thier opinion on conditions.  They don't post conditions here either.  Most of the time I don't fish more than 30 minutes from my front door, so I can easily check for myself.  I also don't fish dozens of different lakes (less than 10 this year) that I lose touch with the conditions where I fish.  It is a moot point though as no one has to worry about trusting my judgement on ice conditions, because I won't be posting any on here.  I simply don't want people venturing out because I said lake x or y or lakes in county xyz are safe.  Too many variables as spkplug said.

U still don't get it, amazing.....Its not about trust, its making the effort to inform others of what you know about lake condition and let them make their own decision to trust or not to trust what u say.

I'll try again and explain another way. Say you went to Lake X and the edges where not safe anywhere. Jimmy lives 100 miles south of Lake X and comes to IS and makes a thread saying "How the ice at Lake X".  No one replies and with ur train of thought you don't reply either even though you know the conditions. So Jimmy decides to check it out, he waste 4 hrs on the road and cost of gas just to find out the edges are bad can't fish. I would not do that to anyone, if knew I would post ice condition to save him the trip.

Thats what allot of guys from southern Ind. ask in here. Why not tell them it may save them the time and cost of driving. But there are some in here who say, let them find out for themselves. And its not because of trust either. Its because they did their homework, let everyone else do their own homework. I read this many times in here and its started several arguements, "make the drive yourself and find out for yourself". Thats plain and simple being selffish!

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
When I saw there were four pages on this thread, I figured there was a ton of safe ice.......

Sorry there is not as much info as you thought there would be, 1,300+ views w/very little info. Since I am the OP of this thread I take full blame. I should of known better than to start a thread against his beliefs, in here he is always right never wrong.

I started this thread in all honesty to try to help. But as what happens to allot of threads in here, someone derailed it because they have a different opinion.  Maybe they should rename this site "WW" instead of "IS".

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am honestly over the ice bite for this season. If I knew I could go out and catch 100 gills 10" long in 45 minutes I'd probably still stay at the house and shine my vokey wedges. After being spoiled all winter on Saginaw and many weekends on erie I just can't bring myself to go out for little uns
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am honestly over the ice bite for this season. If I knew I could go out and catch 100 gills 10" long in 45 minutes I'd probably still stay at the house and shine my vokey wedges. After being spoiled all winter on Saginaw and many weekends on erie I just can't bring myself to go out for little uns

Quit rubbing your Vokey's...lol...get out there and use them...Little cold this week though.
I hear ya...I've got enough bluegills that catching anymore right now seems ....boring...lol...pro bably just cursed myself for next year??
Paul

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Paul. We will have to get out and knock em around this summer.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
U still don't get it, amazing.....Its not about trust, its making the effort to inform others of what you know about lake condition and let them make their own decision to trust or not to trust what u say.

I'll try again and explain another way. Say you went to Lake X and the edges where not safe anywhere. Jimmy lives 100 miles south of Lake X and comes to IS and makes a thread saying "How the ice at Lake X".  No one replies and with ur train of thought you don't reply either even though you know the conditions. So Jimmy decides to check it out, he waste 4 hrs on the road and cost of gas just to find out the edges are bad can't fish. I would not do that to anyone, if knew I would post ice condition to save him the trip.

Thats what allot of guys from southern Ind. ask in here. Why not tell them it may save them the time and cost of driving. But there are some in here who say, let them find out for themselves. And its not because of trust either. Its because they did their homework, let everyone else do their own homework. I read this many times in here and its started several arguements, "make the drive yourself and find out for yourself". Thats plain and simple being selffish!

What is amazing is after 4 pages you continue to try to tell me why do what I do, when you really have no clue.  There are many more responses in these 4 pages that agree with what I said about the dangers of posting late ice conditions than those that agree it is a good idea, yet you keep singling me out as the person to try to make look bad.  Keep harping on me and others that don't think it is a good idea, it is not going to change what I do.  You be the IS saviour and demand people post late ice conditions.  I just pray you don't kill someone in the process.  You also discount the use of the PM feature on this board.  You have no clue who to or how many PM's I or others send out that help people on here looking for a decent bite, place to park or tell them to stay home because the ice is not safe.  I can see it now you're now going to accuse me of lying in to people in PM's to keep them at home or off a hot bite. ::) 

It is time for you to accept the fact that many on here don't agree with your idea and many reasons have been listed why.  Post all the conditions you want, but don't try to force and belittle others that have legitimate reasons not to, to do the same thing when peoples lives are on the line. 

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular

Spalding, you'll ice fish and like it! 
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Spalding, you'll ice fish and like it!

Brink you'll need to give me a few strokes ;D

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What is amazing is after 4 pages you continue to try to tell me why do what I do, when you really have no clue.  There are many more responses in these 4 pages that agree with what I said about the dangers of posting late ice conditions than those that agree it is a good idea, yet you keep singling me out as the person to try to make look bad.  Keep harping on me and others that don't think it is a good idea, it is not going to change what I do.  You be the IS saviour and demand people post late ice conditions.  I just pray you don't kill someone in the process.  You also discount the use of the PM feature on this board.  You have no clue who to or how many PM's I or others send out that help people on here looking for a decent bite, place to park or tell them to stay home because the ice is not safe.  I can see it now you're now going to accuse me of lying in to people in PM's to keep them at home or off a hot bite. ::) 

It is time for you to accept the fact that many on here don't agree with your idea and many reasons have been listed why.  Post all the conditions you want, but don't try to force and belittle others that have legitimate reasons not to, to do the same thing when peoples lives are on the line.

i think its time to agree to disagree here... if ppl dont want to post ice conditions that is fine, it does help deter ppl from making a bsd desicion, but if ppl are going to post lake conditions, at least name ur lake or ur area u are in and dont give a false sense of security to those hat arent as aware and have the knowlege, should they be out there, probablh not, can we stop them from going, well in a way yes, BY USING THIS SITE CORRECTLY. valid points are had on both sides, there is more than one way to skin a cat. this thread surely did go a touch personal, may be time to lay it to rest and help keep each other safe, more now than ever. BE SAFE PPL!
Got one goin'!

Offline KAK

• IceShanty Rookie
WENT TO LAKE OF THE WOODS-SOUTH MUD AND NYONA SAT.3-22.COULD NOT GET ON ANY OF THEM. EVEN BROUGHT A 7 FT. LONG PLANK-NOT LONG ENOUGH. SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT MY 30 FT EXTENSION LADDER. IF I COULD HAVE TALKED A LAND OWNER INTO LETTING US GO OUT OFF THEIR PIER PROBLY COULD HAVE FISHED.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
i think its time to agree to disagree here... if ppl dont want to post ice conditions that is fine, it does help deter ppl from making a bsd desicion, but if ppl are going to post lake conditions, at least name ur lake or ur area u are in and dont give a false sense of security to those hat arent as aware and have the knowlege, should they be out there, probablh not, can we stop them from going, well in a way yes, BY USING THIS SITE CORRECTLY. valid points are had on both sides, there is more than one way to skin a cat. this thread surely did go a touch personal, may be time to lay it to rest and help keep each other safe, more now than ever. BE SAFE PPL!

Been long overdo as I said basically the same thing on page 1, yet 3 pages later the OP is still fails to see there are 2 sides to the coin and continues to label those with views and opinions that differ from his, are information hoarders and selfish.  :(

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ok I have been reading through this post sence it started . I have kept out of it just because I do not really like to give out ice conditions very often . I will from time to time in a pm or other form of Communication .  Here is my condition repot for the north east part of the state . There is still some good ice out there if you can find a spot to get on  . Some of the edges are getting real bad and some are ok . But this is the end of March and the ice is going to go to crap quick .

Offline Greenhorn Betty

• IceShanty Rookie
Sorry there is not as much info as you thought there would be, 1,300+ views w/very little info. Since I am the OP of this thread I take full blame. I should of known better than to start a thread against his beliefs, in here he is always right never wrong.

I started this thread in all honesty to try to help. But as what happens to allot of threads in here, someone derailed it because they have a different opinion.  Maybe they should rename this site "WW" instead of "IS".
Ya the WORM knows ALL,at least in his own mind,gets old when someone ALLWAYS thinks they have the answer and have to argue their point all the time,take a rest WORM

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
here we go again.... glad i grabbed a bowl of popcorn already. crap, i forgot the suds!!
Got one goin'!

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
On that note, I am heading to the golf course..i am signing off.

Talk to everyone around Thanksgiving when we are all cheery again about the opportunity to ice fish.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just so you all know I see both sides of the coin . But I have to take Wax Worm's side on this one . In today's day and age you have to watch what you tell someone that you don't know . I have also had a buddy sit in the truck one day of 4 hours while I fished .  I felt safe on the ice that day and he did not . There was no need to try to change his mind he did not like how it looked and we were an hour from home . And I was fishing it .

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
here we go again.... glad i grabbed a bowl of popcorn already. crap, i forgot the suds!!

Not taking the bait.  Point has been made and agreed with by many.  Betty has nothing intelligent to add to the conversation she is trying to stir the pot. 

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice is fishable at Sylvan lake through the Gene Straton Porter access.  It should be good most of the week.  Fish are biting like crazy all day long.  You will catch many short fish so be prepared!  If you wade through the little ones you will get some keepers.  I had 30+ today in about 3 hrs, threw 50-100 back.  Look for suspended fish in 6-10 FOW around the small island.  I will be there again tomorrow.

Offline ole green moe

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Offical Member of Fisherman Against Penguins
Now that everyone has had there say, I need to try to steal this thread.
A major word of caution::: Should you happen to go on the ice this late in the year, please do not put your guard down. The Penguins are notoriously clever and hard to get along with this late in the season. I have had the bad fortune of being pulled beneath the ice on a few occasions during late ice!! Those tuxedo wearing hooligans will just reach out and pull you through in a heartbeat. Posting ice conditions will not save anyone from those tricksters. Therefore, I am with Waxy on this one. (That should scare you Waxy on some level) I am not for sharing ice conditions this late in the year for putting someone at risk of not using there own best judgement. If you do not know how to read the ice on your own, do not believe someone you do not know from the internet!! Also, always trust your penguin senses!!! ;)
Northern Indiana---Where men are men, and Penguins run scared!!!!

Offline ryoder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Now that everyone has had there say, I need to try to steal this thread.
A major word of caution::: Should you happen to go on the ice this late in the year, please do not put your guard down. The Penguins are notoriously clever and hard to get along with this late in the season. I have had the bad fortune of being pulled beneath the ice on a few occasions during late ice!! Those tuxedo wearing hooligans will just reach out and pull you through in a heartbeat. Posting ice conditions will not save anyone from those tricksters. Therefore, I am with Waxy on this one. (That should scare you Waxy on some level) I am not for sharing ice conditions this late in the year for putting someone at risk of not using there own best judgement. If you do not know how to read the ice on your own, do not believe someone you do not know from the internet!! Also, always trust your penguin senses!!! ;)

The most insightful piece of information on this whole thread! Some wise wise words there OGM. I will keep one eye open for those penguins!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Based on some of the posts I've read on the forum this season I am starting to wonder if the penguins haven't gotten internet access.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't know anything about penguins, but some of these guy need to upsize their underwear a couple sizes!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.