Author Topic: Built new set of traps  (Read 5471 times)

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
Built new set of traps
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Started taking a friend fishing this season, next thing you know, I'm building a set of traps.  I love to build things so it was a good project.  I had built my traps about 15 years ago so this was not my first set.  I made some improvements over mine.  These came out pretty sweet.  All the hardware is stainless, all the aluminum was polished.  The only parts I bought were the flag clips which I had to bend, tripper clips and flag steel.  Other than that it was all manufactured in my shop.  Tried them out this past weekend, out of about 10 flags, 9 were on these. 

You can check out a ton more pics here:
http://s158.photobucket.com/user/rocketrollinsx/embed/slideshow/

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
Re: Built new set of traps
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Looks pro to me. :o
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:34 AM »
Beautiful looking rigs!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:56 AM »
Wow! Great job!! :clap:

WS

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:16 AM »
very nice.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Very nice work,,they will be around for a long time,where did you get the hardware for the spools,are those hollow bolts from a lamp shop?? I'm planing on refinishing a bunch of old ones I have laying around but I want bigger spools on them with adjustable tension for using big bait ;D

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Very nice work,,they will be around for a long time,where did you get the hardware for the spools,are those hollow bolts from a lamp shop?? I'm planing on refinishing a bunch of old ones I have laying around but I want bigger spools on them with adjustable tension for using big bait ;D

Thanks!  Yes those are lamp nipples in the center of the spools.  I believe they are 1 3/4" x 3/8"

Offline FishADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold Hands
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:16 PM »
On a scale of one to ten how hard was it?
I was thinking I'd build some, this is a possibility. 
-DISCLAIMER-
Everything written above is entirely false. All posts were fabricated by analysing the posts of others. All pictures were stolen from the internet. I have never gone ice fishing in my life.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Those are beautiful! Your friend is a lucky man.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Nice  :tipup: wheres your website? I'll take 6! lol
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline fishroffdaperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just doesn't get any better than this!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Super Nice!!!  If you ever think about making more and selling them, please let me know.
Ain't this somethin?  I told my Pap and Mam I was gonna be a Mountain Man; acted like they was gut- shot.  "Make your life go here son, heres wheres the peoples is.  Them mountains is for indians and wild men."  "Mother Gue," I says, " the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right.  Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Offline IceFishing07666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:07 PM »
Beautiful job. I'm always envious of men that are so capable of building things with such craftsmanship. Enjoy them.
Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:16 PM »
On a scale of one to ten how hard was it?
I was thinking I'd build some, this is a possibility.

Seriously speaking its not all that hard.  If you have any sort of woodworking or shop skills you should be fine.  Find a local sheet metal place, they usually have scrap pieces they can bend up for you. 

I will say that if you are thinking about building a set, do it.  Its pretty sweet to catch fish on a rig you built.  I'm not saying it is cheaper than buying them that's for sure, but the sense of accomplishment is huge, and all your buddies will be jealous!  ;D

Offline GooseBay Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Building your own Ice gear is part of the fun. From sleds to tip-ups.
The spools seem to be everyones question. I just use the spool tip up line comes on. You get the right sized hardware to fit the spools and it is just a slip of the spool to go from Crappy/perch rigs and line, to pike/laker rigs and line.
And yes done right they are cheaper. Spool is free with the line you have to buy, Wood comes from an old pallet being thrown away or any scrap wood, and some old wire coat hanger's bent into triggers. A few screws and clips cost maybe $10 for enough to make 2 dozen or more traps. Some old candles and used fryer oil if you want to seal them.

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2014, 06:20 PM »
A job well done

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Very nice - Do you have a picture of how the flag is set?  I'm not getting it based on the pics but I've only run through once.  Were the spool sides cut for you?  Do you have a materials list and/or dimensions?

And as someone else mentioned, how much?  I'll take 6!  Seriously, I'd buy a DIY kit of all materials except the wood.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:01 PM »
Very nice - Do you have a picture of how the flag is set?  I'm not getting it based on the pics but I've only run through once.  Were the spool sides cut for you?  Do you have a materials list and/or dimensions?

And as someone else mentioned, how much?  I'll take 6!  Seriously, I'd buy a DIY kit of all materials except the wood.

I never thought about a DIY kit.  That's not a bad idea. Roughly without looking at my list, it would be about 175 for a DIY Kit of materials minus the wood.  This would include all reel parts, flag steel, tripper & clips, flag holder, screws, bolts etc.  All my hardware is stainless, trippers are stainless, reels, flag holders, and end caps are aluminum.  As I said above, building your own set is not really cheaper, its just more satisfying.  If I wasn't going to building a house this spring, I would definitely take some orders.

For the flag, there is a small hole in the end of the flag steel which slides onto the pin that is sticking out.  Then the tripper holds the steel on the pin.  When the tripper is tripped, the flag slides off the pin and bam.....FLAG!

I cut the spool sides myself.  They were done with a 3.25" hole saw. 

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I never thought about a DIY kit.  That's not a bad idea. Roughly without looking at my list, it would be about 175 for a DIY Kit of materials minus the wood.  This would include all reel parts, flag steel, tripper & clips, flag holder, screws, bolts etc.  All my hardware is stainless, trippers are stainless, reels, flag holders, and end caps are aluminum.  As I said above, building your own set is not really cheaper, its just more satisfying.  If I wasn't going to building a house this spring, I would definitely take some orders.

For the flag, there is a small hole in the end of the flag steel which slides onto the pin that is sticking out.  Then the tripper holds the steel on the pin.  When the tripper is tripped, the flag slides off the pin and bam.....FLAG!

I cut the spool sides myself.  They were done with a 3.25" hole saw.

At $175 per (5) I may have to pass - at $17.50 per (5) I'll buy (3) sets to build as heritage pieces/gifts and give credit where it's due.

Thanks for the reply and info on the hole saw, helps with home build.

A detail of the hole/pin/trip for the flag would be helpful - call me slow but I'm not seeing the complete thing yet.  A picture of the flag/pin/trigger would be great - just set the trap and shoot.  Or just point me to a similar trip mechanism please.

Thanks again Sir - your efforts are appreciated!
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:30 AM »
If I get out this weekend I will snap a few pics of the flag holder. 
Yeah its not cheap I can tell you that.  My thoughts are you build a nice set, spend some money on them and be proud.  They will last a lifetime too.  I could have gone without all the stainless hardware to keep prices down but that's not me.  I'm typically the one who will overspend on something to have the nice one.  Good luck on your build, and be sure to post some pics!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:50 AM »
If the spool is 3.25" these traps are about 24" long and the wood about 1" square - although the center looks to be larger than the sides.  I'm guessing you're going after lake trout/large fish with these?

On image 29/57 it shows a hole in the tube for the trigger - what is the purpose of the hole or what is that image trying to show?  Any tips for bending the wire in the tube?

I see the flag trip now - image 46/57 shows the trigger rod at the pin - when the spool trips the trigger, it moves off and the flag springs.

I'm gonna think about a 3/4 scale of this design for my set.  As for a budget, I'll keep your number in mind.  I'll probably end up spend twice the price anyway trying to figure it all out.

I very much appreciate the dialog and the craftsmanship displayed - Man, even the Robertson heads are lined up square - Form follows function and damn closely.

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:17 PM »
If the spool is 3.25" these traps are about 24" long and the wood about 1" square - although the center looks to be larger than the sides.  I'm guessing you're going after lake trout/large fish with these?

On image 29/57 it shows a hole in the tube for the trigger - what is the purpose of the hole or what is that image trying to show?  Any tips for bending the wire in the tube?

I see the flag trip now - image 46/57 shows the trigger rod at the pin - when the spool trips the trigger, it moves off and the flag springs.

I'm gonna think about a 3/4 scale of this design for my set.  As for a budget, I'll keep your number in mind.  I'll probably end up spend twice the price anyway trying to figure it all out.

I very much appreciate the dialog and the craftsmanship displayed - Man, even the Robertson heads are lined up square - Form follows function and damn closely.

The traps are 26" long.  The 2 outer pieces are 3/4"x3/4", the center one is 3/4"x1".  We typically fish Pike, bass, etc.  26" traps are pretty much standard in Maine. 
The hole it a grease point.  You can remove the center clip and add grease for the tripper wire in the future.  For bending the wire I use one of these.  http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-T10163-Wire-Bending-Jig/dp/B006SJE7N8 
Yes that's correct.  The tripper wire holds the flag on the pin.  Then the reel spins it pushed the tripper off the side and the flag slides off the pin.
You should make out well.  Feel free to ask any questions.  Just break down each part in your mind and you will do well.  I am super picky when it comes to what I build.  Aligning the screws takes 2 seconds but adds a lot of class.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:27 PM »
To align the screws - do you pre-drill and start each one in the same position?  Ton of class there to be certain, "Finest kind of fit and finish" stuff.

Got a brainstorm while writing my last reply - I may have something to add to this conversation soon.

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Yes pre-drill everything for sure.  Then just turn the screw till they align.  I even pre-drill the staples.  Makes installing them way easier in the hard wood.  Taking your time is key with any project.  I had a few late nights on these but at any time if I felt I was getting sloppy I walked away. 

Offline RocketRollinSX

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Sprocket - I took some pics this weekend of the tripper.  I added them to the album so you can see how it works.

Offline iceman777

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • MAINE JACK TRAPS
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:54 PM »
They look like jack traps

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Where did you get the tubes and wire for the trip mechanism? Also the wind proofing/ flag holder piece.

Offline headhunter67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:14 PM »
They turned out awesome. I'll have to build some if I get the time. Great job again!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:05 PM »
They look great and I'm sure you could sell a bunch of them for sure.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:30 PM »
This thread is exactly why I like ice fishing:
DIY + craftsmanship + appreciation + ingenuity (Smitty, Jack, etc.) = Awesome!

It's all about doing - and speaking of doing, I know what I'd like to be doing instead of being chained to a desk...damnit.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:42 PM »
I'm not understanding your release mechanism entirely.  What the point of the wind flag prevention device if it doesn't restrain the side to side movement of the metal flag stick (for a lack of a better way of saying it) while windy.   
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.