Author Topic: Marcum LX5  (Read 29603 times)

trapperdirk

Re: Marcum LX5
« Reply #60 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Gilly if you have someone close to you with an LX-5 maybe you could try their ducer on yours and be assured of the prob if it is one .Keep us up todate and hopefully things will be resolved ASAP.

TD

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:50 AM »
 Just gotta tell you about a comical thing happened to me the other day. I was fishing with the LX5 and this comercial guy saw me catch a  fish and came right over and drilled a hole just feet in front of me. He was so excited that his FL8 was going wild with fish all over the dial and saying look they're all over and all depths but I can't catch them. I didn't have the heart to tell him I think it's interfearence so Before I busted my guts laughing I got up and moved. Later he came over and I asked what he caught and he said nothing. All the fish left when you did. ;D   My buddy has a Vex 18 and we were almost side by side and it didn't seem to have that problem. Must be the FL8 doen't have the sane tech as the 18 ?

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2006, 09:31 AM »
Now Jack, it's not nice to screw with the guys using outdated technology  ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Now Jack, it's not nice to screw with the guys using outdated technology  ;D
;D Loved it !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:53 AM »
Man I have to say I love my lx5.  Nabbed some char today along with rainbows and silvers as shallow as 6'.

I do however notice that there get's to be a progressively louder ticking noise.  Much louder then the typical whirr sound after it starts up.  Was fishing outside today for most of the day and some ice and snow did build up on the cable.  Not sure what it is but it's definatly LOUD!  (not normal!)  Sometimes it's nothing more then the transducer touching the side of the hole.  It doesn't happen immediatly, seems to come on slowly like a bad headache.  Sometimes I can make an adjustment to the cable or arm and ducer but more often it just keeps on ticken.

Gonna bring a portable and heater with me tomorrow to see if I can alleviate this problem. 

I do want to ask about the batterys though.  How long can you get on a fully charged battery?  Figure starting at 9 or so, if I leave by 6 my battery will be down to 40%.  Is this common?  We switched lakes for a little bit before dark and the short 20 mn drive in a heated truck brought the batteries up from 60% to 90%.   We were sitting on the ice on the first lake for most of the trip. 

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:09 AM »
Akdan, the battery meter was under a load at 40% then you let it rest it will go back up. This is normal with most batteries. I use the meter only for a general reference. I have never ran out of juice with mine.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:05 PM »
bhorn is right - that gauge is a very general reference that will vary alot with cold and if the unit is turned on or not. 

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #67 on: Feb 23, 2006, 04:10 PM »

That is because it goes into a trickle charge mode. It starts out at a higher rate and trickles down.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #68 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Just an update on the overly loud ticking from my lx-5.  It's without a doubt the transducer.  With 40+ inches of ice I didnt hear it on wensday until it was pulled up the hole fighting a fish.  This wasn't the first fish that day and wasn't noticable to any degree earlier in the day.  I'll let ya know what happens.
40 plus inches???  :o
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline brrrknee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bullwinkle helps pull the sled :)
« Reply #69 on: Nov 28, 2006, 06:45 PM »
The LX5 is very impressive. He put a magnifier over the display which really makes it easy to see things.
by this do you mean those flat plastic card magnifiers?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.