Author Topic: Marcum LX5  (Read 29605 times)

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Marcum LX5
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:27 PM »
I leave mine on.  It dosen't hurt a thing.  Oh and the real thing is better than the sim.  Except you won't necessarily have fish riseing to your jig right away and it won't beep when they do.
Sounds like I'll love it guys ;D

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2006, 02:24 PM »

You can leave them on from hole to hole and for short durations of time. Don't accidently leave them on overnight or on a long trip. You can damage the transducer this way.  ;)

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:11 PM »
You can leave them on from hole to hole and for short durations of time. Don't accidently leave them on overnight or on a long trip. You can damage the transducer this way.  ;)

Thanks Wolf

Offline north shore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Trapperdirk: Where did the posts of iceytek go. He had a great deal of imformation on the lx5 and 3.Then all of his posts are gone. What the heck is going on.         :(

greg campbell/north shore

trapperdirk

« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2006, 11:11 PM »
Trapperdirk: Where did the posts of iceytek go. He had a great deal of imformation on the lx5 and 3.Then all of his posts are gone. What the heck is going on.         :(

greg campbell/north shore

I'm the Ontario mod not equipment forum mod so I suggest you refer your question to the admin of the site but I'm finding it odd that your involving yourself already as a new poster . Why are you because it concerns iceytek and admin according to my knowledge. ??? As far as the iceytek posts I agree they were informative but I can't answer your question other than to contact admin .

TD

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2006, 03:26 AM »
Yeah, there's some wierd VOODOO goin on here........someone's changin (unswear word) posts en deletin stuff....me-thought iceytek was givin good info...... :-\.

-Grizz

trapperdirk

« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:58 AM »
Yeah, there's some wierd VOODOO goin on here........someone's changin (unswear word) posts en deletin stuff....me-thought iceytek was givin good info...... :-\.

-Grizz

No posts are EVER modified by mods on this site other than to maybe fix a link . If its close to or some facsimile of a swear word then there is an automatic checker in place that changes the word to another or bleeps it out but no mod modifies posts . Deletions happen if something contravenes site policy or rules  .

Now could we please get back to the subject matter which is the LX-5 and if you have some other concerns we can answer it via pm or another board on here just not our equipment board . Thanks . ;D

TD

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:13 PM »
The LX-5 will use more power than a Vex. According to my FL-18 manual it's using 350ma. According to my Marcum manual it's using 400ma.
Going by these numbers the Vex should run roughly 20 hrs, on a 7 amp battery, and the Marcum roughly 18 hrs.
Keep in mind that the lower the battery gets the worse the readings usually get.

Wolf,
                   Finally tried my new LX5 today and while fishing was slow I got a real kick enticing the perch to bite. Never owned a flasher before and never thought I needed one but NOW--- I wonder why I didn't get one before. I fished from 8:30 to about 12:20 and I am down to 50% on the battery. I was playing with controls quite a bit and don't know if this usage is normal. My question is SHOULD I charge the battery before my next outing and at what point of discharge will I experience degradation in readings. Thanks for the info.
                                                                              Jack

MacDaddy

« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Wolf,
                   Finally tried my new LX5 today and while fishing was slow I got a real kick enticing the perch to bite. Never owned a flasher before and never thought I needed one but NOW--- I wonder why I didn't get one before. I fished from 8:30 to about 12:20 and I am down to 50% on the battery. I was playing with controls quite a bit and don't know if this usage is normal. My question is SHOULD I charge the battery before my next outing and at what point of discharge will I experience degradation in readings. Thanks for the info.
                                                                              Jack

I bought a LX-5 last week and have used it about 4 times now. WOW; it makes Vex look like junk.
Sorry if I offend Vex lovers but it's true.
My battery meter did the same thing the first time around. Charge it good overnight or even 2 nights. My works great!
Oh did I mention it makes the Vex look like JUNK? Did I mention that?

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:47 PM »
I bought a LX-5 last week and have used it about 4 times now. WOW; it makes Vex look like junk.
Sorry if I offend Vex lovers but it's true.
My battery meter did the same thing the first time around. Charge it good overnight or even 2 nights. My works great!
Oh did I mention it makes the Vex look like JUNK? Did I mention that?
Mac Daddy,
                            I've seen the vex's on the ice and people swear by them. In fact I was gonna buy the Vex18 until reading posts on the Marcum and talking to Lone Wolf. I must say with my limited usage I think the Marcum seems to be clearer. In time and with the help from the forum I'll learn to interpet the readings.
                                        Jack

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:49 PM »
The first usage does seem to read low. After charging again .. to 100 % ... it seems to read better. The second outing the meter read 40 % for me after 9 hrs on the ice. After it was in the house (heat) for about half an hour it read 50 %.
I wouldn't say the Vexilars are junk .... maybe just not up to par with the LX-5.  

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:43 AM »
The first usage does seem to read low. After charging again .. to 100 % ... it seems to read better. The second outing the meter read 40 % for me after 9 hrs on the ice. After it was in the house (heat) for about half an hour it read 50 %.
I wouldn't say the Vexilars are junk .... maybe just not up to par with the LX-5.  

Wolf,
                  Is it ok to walk around to the ice holes with the transducer hanging or do I need to replace it in it;s holder each time I want to move to another hole.?

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:40 PM »
Wolf,
                  Is it ok to walk around to the ice holes with the transducer hanging or do I need to replace it in it;s holder each time I want to move to another hole.?

I carry the transducer in my hand when moving, however I do shut it off from hole to hole...

Offline gotpike?

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2006, 01:12 PM »
i have a vexilar and the thing is pissa :tipup:

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:18 PM »
here is some battery info, most of you probably allready know it...

The odd power usage is a normal characteristic of a new battery. With a "new" deep cell battery, you will only get about 80% capacity on the first charge. After a number of cycles you will be able to reach full capacity, its kinda like the battery has to break in.

Its usually recomended to charge the battery right after any use. Im guessing with flashers an hour on the ice would mean about an hour on the charger. Buts its really hard to over charge them with the trickle charger.

Be carefull with completely drained batteries. Very cold temps (natural to ice fishing haha) can ruin a batter if left uncharged in the cold. Something can freeze/break, destroying the battery.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Someone please tell me where I can find marcum online.
      Jim

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Someone please tell me where I can find marcum online.
      Jim

http://www.marcumtech.com/

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:44 PM »
Thank's webguy, now tell me where everyone is ordering them with free shiping?
     Jim

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 30, 2006, 03:32 PM »
     Jim

This is where I got mine..... http://www.reedssports.com/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=7110

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 30, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Just a little info on the Marcum chargers. I have owned them for a few years now. For some reason the percentage of charge left isn't the same as what it is reading. This isn't all the time but I just use it as a gage to see approximately how much charge is left. I have had it read 0 and it was still working fine. I have NEVER ran out of juice. It's just a Marcum thing.
  The other thing on the LX-5's I would like to say is the transducer is a little hard getting it back into the cradle. I removed the bracket about and inch or so and it's fine now. I have to say I think the LX-5 is definitely the cadillac of flashers!!!!!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2006, 05:18 PM »
     Jim
CC,
                  Bought mine thru Fishing Pro store free shipping
                    www.fishingprostore.co m

Offline bhorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I have to make a retraction. I change my flasher setup again. I said earlier that I moved the bracket back in inch to help get the trandsducer in the cradle easier. Well, I didn`t like it because the wires hit the battery. So I changed it again and put the bracket back in the orginal holes but put 1/4in. spacers under the bracket. There is even more room above if I need it but it seems fine.  I keep you posted.

Offline Kziceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:09 AM »
I fished with some friends the other night...one with the vex 18 the other with an LX5. The LX5 is very impressive. He put a magnifier over the display which really makes it easy to see things. As far as the transducer issues I have read here..he took the bracket off and threaded the cable thought the Velcro..does not have any problem putting the transducer in the cradle. The LX5 seems to be superior over the Vex.

One issue though...he had to take his LX5 back three times for quality issues. The third time he got a different unit and a Mar Cum engineer called him and helped him go through some tech checks.  Hoping he just got the one in a million lemon.

Anybody else have any "don't work" issues with the LX5?

My bait always catches fish...or dies trying.

Offline Gilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:37 PM »
I am not sure if it is a problem or not, but I have to turn the gain up to 3 or 4 to see my # 8 jigs with spikes  to  in the water column.  When the gain is this high it just expands the weed clutter problem.  What are you guys finding for a normal gain setting in 10 feet of water?

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:50 PM »
I am not sure if it is a problem or not, but I have to turn the gain up to 3 or 4 to see my # 8 jigs with spikes  to  in the water column.  When the gain is this high it just expands the weed clutter problem.  What are you guys finding for a normal gain setting in 10 feet of water?
I am usually about 2 on the gain but hve been 1-2 1/2 on gain in 10-20' water. When the band seems to be wide  have you tried the super fine line ???????
                                                                                               Jack

Offline Gilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2006, 08:34 AM »
Thanks,Jack, for the reply.  The super fine line and narrow beam help with the width of the beam and reducing the clutter but I still have to crank the gain up to 3 or 4 to see the lure in the water couumn above the weeds.  When I put a one ounce lead sinker on I can reduce the gain to the 1-2 level.  I would appreciate comments from other folks as to where they have gain settings for small lures when fishing sunnies and bluegills.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:25 AM »
1.5 to 2.5 even in 20t feet of water. Battery is good?

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
« Reply #57 on: Feb 16, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Gillie,email marcum and tell them about it.I understand they had a batch of bad transducers.This might be your problem.It wont hurt to let them know whats going on with it.A friend of mine had same problem,they sent him a new ducer.    Ron
Bobberstop

trapperdirk

« Reply #58 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:42 PM »
Very true Bobberstop . Marcum Tech stands behind its product and the customer service is awesome . Contact them if you think its your ducer and they will help you out . ;)

TD

Offline Gilly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Thanks for the replys.  The battery has been fully charged on each outing.  It was interesting to hear that someone else had a similar problem and it was the xducer. I have had four conversations with Marcum and they ruled out the transducer. I think I will work back through Cabelas and get another unit and see if that helps the situation.  If it doesn't, then I will have to conclude it's not the unit but the operator.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.