Author Topic: au train basin  (Read 1108 times)

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
au train basin
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Anyone fished it this year?  Want to check it out tomorrow, hoping to park off the 94 somewhere and hop down onto the ice near the dam if possible, fished a couple times in my boat right there with moderate success but its a nice big hole basically 20ft deep right off shore and tapers up heading south, looks to be good structure, If anyone has experience fishing there i'd love to hear more about it.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Re: au train basin
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Haven't fished it, but I saw the mother of all eyes out there one morning this fall on my way out to the duck blind. This wasn't anywhere close to the dam though.

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:15 PM »
You could just see it down in the water?!  Theres definitely a whole lot of lake there, i've always went out from the boat launch and just putted up to the dam with my kicker, lots of dead heads out there to take a hull or lower unit out.  I've pulled a few pike outa the wooded areas on the way up to the dam and a couple smalleyes and sun fish up there, tons of structure all around tho, just figured the dam would be a good spot because its pretty much a deep pool along with some moving water, also a few downed trees in there for more structure that claimed a few of my bottom bouncers lol.  Ima drive down and check it out tomorrow, if I cant get out ill just fall back and fish the lake, well see what happens.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:25 PM »
You could just see it down in the water?!  Theres definitely a whole lot of lake there, i've always went out from the boat launch and just putted up to the dam with my kicker, lots of dead heads out there to take a hull or lower unit out.  I've pulled a few pike outa the wooded areas on the way up to the dam and a couple smalleyes and sun fish up there, tons of structure all around tho, just figured the dam would be a good spot because its pretty much a deep pool along with some moving water, also a few downed trees in there for more structure that claimed a few of my bottom bouncers lol.  Ima drive down and check it out tomorrow, if I cant get out ill just fall back and fish the lake, well see what happens.

Oh yeah, it was first thing in the morning and we were idling to our blind with out headlamps on. Saw something shining in the water a few Yards away and it was the glowing eyes of a Mac-daddy walleye in like 4 foot of water.

Offline UPFishbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2014, 06:54 PM »
thats awesome!  I heard the fishing went downhill after the drainage a few years ago but theres plenty of water now im sure things are bouncing back.  I seen a video somewhere on youtube of a girl fishing there catching a 6-7 lb walleye.  Theres no maps of that lake so that makes things a bit more difficult.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.