The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Truth to Reports???  (Read 2968 times)

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
Truth to Reports???
« on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Truth to Reports?... ??? Some times after reading my own posts, I think maybe I said too much, guess I'm thurough to a fault...so It got me wondering, how much stock do you guys actually put into a report you've viewed, and how truthful are you in yer own posts?
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
Re: Truth to Reports???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:30 AM »
Be honest ;D
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I trust guys on the ice conditions. Except first ice.
On fishing reports, if I don't know you or know of you being a pretty hard core ice guy I don't believe any of it.
Tips n tactics I trust more than fishing reports. And I mostly read on main forums as guys don't like spilling the beans on specifics on the state or area forums.

There are tons of guys lurking. Also I know guys who if the say bite was pretty good today. To you, mite think just what it says but if you know that guy it meant he had a hell of a day!

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:33 AM »
I know about half dozen guys I have fished with many times and when they post I believe them. Weve come to the conclusion to PM each other rather than a general post for couple reasons the main one of spot burning and getting grilled on net about it. We share info about anything to anybody but mostly by PM.

Bill(Jarhead)

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Does not make sense to lie about a post.  Many guys look at these posts to see what is going on on the lakes around PA and other areas.  It would really tick me off if someone was saying how good the fishing was and I drove 2 hours to get somewhere and find out the fishing was not that great at all.  If you don't want to tell the truth, don't post, esp. when it comes to ice condition.  You can not make guesstimates at the depth of ice when you or a close friend has not been on the ice.  You do not have to post everything about what jig you were using, depth, etc. just be truthful.  Nez

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2014, 02:11 PM »
first we need to decide "WHAT IS TRUTH"
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2014, 03:09 PM »
I feel most guys give good information and think you have to use your own discretion. Whether they give all the info is unknown so you got to connect your pwn dots. I give guys the benefit of the doubt and as mentioned above why even report if you are gonna lie? 
However, when a particular lake is not being talked about that I fish regularly, well you better go check it out and find out for yourself!  Either way, the reports don't really deter me from going because if I get a chance to fish I'm fishing! I really have no problem sharing what is working for me either. 

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2014, 04:05 PM »
It seems odd to me guys would actually lie about reports....I mean, what are they getting out of lying about ice thicknesses and such??? Now what they are catching may be a different story...I don't expect guys to tell me or anybody else EXACTLLY EVERYTHING they caught....I have nothing to hide when reporting...I don't own the lake, and just because I did well, doesn't mean someone else will either.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Notar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2014, 05:47 PM »
As a more "consistent" ice fishing rookie this year, rather than a dabbling ice fishing past, I find valuable:

Ice conditions --> very valuable -please tell the truth on this one!
Depth of consistent activity --> i.e. "Productive day in 16FOW."
Preferred live bait --> i.e. "All they wanted was a tiny jig loaded with maggots."
Method of presentation --> Active jigging, dead-stick, light bites, etc.

99% of my fishing is done at a 3200 acre lake 5 minutes from my house.  I fish the soft water on this lake frequently. I know where I like to fish and know more than my share of the available structure. But keep in mind, I find the above information more valuable than any secret location.  BTW guys there are really not many secret locations.   

I don't need to know your secret location, the size of your catches and whether you put 50 in the bucket or two on the ice. But I do want to learn and mainly come on ice shanty to improve my game, therefore I appreciate truthful posts that contain the above information. 

However, we are all fisherman and we all too well know about how the stories (fish) grow.  Additionally, it's the internet, unrestricted and uncontrolled.  Read the information, throw out 90% of it,  then research, research, research. 

Regards,
Notar

Offline jiggly McWiggler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2014, 05:58 PM »
if u read my reports which are every time i fish, i tell ice conditions, what i caught, time of day, and what i saw caught.  wish i saw more like that.  guys get quiet when the fish start bitin.
compliments of ..... the world famous traveling  jiggly McWiggler ice fishing extravaganza!

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2014, 06:53 PM »
 When a guy has posted about his past three mediocre trips  then I see one where he says he hammered them  I tend to believe that, even if I know nothing about him.  Some guys seem to post only when they've had big day and you don't know if that means he is pulling your leg or just doesn't wanna admit to the times he didn't do well.  I get as much useful information about a slow day as a hot day so appreciate when someone takes the time to report even if they had a slow day.  Plus if I can't get out, I still enjoy knowing what went on.  I tend to believe most reports are accurate but I have seen some that reported on times and places when I was there and what I saw and what I read in a report didn't add up.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:31 PM »
All fishermen tell fish tales. Some are bigger than others   :thumbsup:

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Well said ,agree with every word you said Notar.
Don't horse em!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2014, 06:48 AM »
I think the majority of people that post want to share their experiences.  They’re proud of what they did and would like to share the info.  Or they are simply trying to help out the next guy.  You have to read between the lines a little because experience levels differ.  What one guy calls a quality fish or a hot day is another guy average or slow day.  A slab to one guy is not a slab to another; sorry I had to do it.

I think there’s a lot of lurkers out there and spot burners too.  I’ll post up general stuff, F.O.W., suspended or not, slow bite, hot bite, volume of fish hooked.   Anything like that and to be honest that’s information that helps the next guy out.  I do not and will not post up locations.  I do not see the need to if you have the other information there’s no need for a location.  I do some PM’s to people that share good info back and will not toss it out there in an open forum. 

I think most people are telling the truth or what they believe to be the truth in their eyes based upon their past experiences.  One guy goes out and hooks a 42” musky and that may be a fish of a life time for them, that is perfectly okay.  To the next guy a good fish or even a fair fish but not a fish of the life time.  Experience level is a factor, in my eyes.                   

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:28 AM »
It seems odd to me guys would actually lie about reports....I mean, what are they getting out of lying about ice thicknesses and such??? Now what they are catching may be a different story...I don't expect guys to tell me or anybody else EXACTLLY EVERYTHING they caught....I have nothing to hide when reporting...I don't own the lake, and just because I did well, doesn't mean someone else will either.

I agree with you 100% JOEL.
WHY lie?I found out when i was a kid if you lie the truth comes out in the end .When your older if you lie and get caught it makes you look like a A**.I always say if i had a good day or not,Ill say what lake i was at ,and the time i caught fish.Anyone can check my post.Im on this site for 3 or 4 years now.Ill thrown in jigs sometimes i used and the area of the lake.What more can you do other than,? take someone by the hand and show them.I love to see a bunch of guys on the lake catching fish.I said it time and time again  THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH POINTING A GUY IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
And for someone to lie about ice thickness that in my eyes is dangerous.
And i feel if your lieing about what you are catching ,its your freezer thats empty not no one elses.
  I think 99.9 % of the guys on this site tell the truth.
I dont even know why this topic was brought up?????

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:36 AM »
pictures tell the story?first, ice was sloppy, slushy,going south,slammed the fish,enough said
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:52 AM »
All fishermen are liars................B UT not all liars are fishermen! ::)
Don't believe nothing you hear & only half of what you see! ;)

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:57 AM »
All fishermen are liars................B UT not all liars are fishermen! ::)
Don't believe nothing you hear & only half of what you see! ;)

Hey Jim!! Nice to see ya back after your hiatus!! ...

1MO, nice haul of bass!

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline BAK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I think it depends on how many fish and size of fish you personally consider a good day.  Some one who catches 10 big crappies in 8 hours might consider that a great day while someone who catches 100 small perch along with 10 big crappies might consider it slow.  It is very subjective to personal opinion and/or fishing skills along with experience on the ice.  I read the reports and view the info as entertainment to pass time when I'm not fishing truth or not.   

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:54 PM »
My take is this,to many guys waiting for a report.get out and do it,I'm not going to do all the work for you.
I hAve learned everything the hard way.I will help fellows locally,but I will not post to thousands.you can guarantee that you are only hearing about a small fraction of the fish that are being caught.move around the lake,talk to your local fellows.you will even get to know some good fellows.I fish a small lake and sorry that is the way she goes.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Are those bass legal?

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2014, 05:57 AM »
liar liar pants on fire

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:05 AM »
What is the point in lieing? Heck I probably say too much, but then again it's not my lake, I didn't create it. Any time I can help someone out I will. We all have choices, and you can choose to believe my and other reports or not. But I always remember what one of my professors once told me. If the answer doesn't look right it is probably not. ;D

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2014, 07:43 AM »
I really wish guys would post more pictures. It's really easy and definitely tells the story. All fishermen are liars except me and you.....and sometimes I wonder about you.  :laugh:  ;)

Offline paulct

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:25 AM »
without pics its easy to be skeptical...

Offline new on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:09 PM »
I have had the pleasure of meeting quit a few guys from here while on the ice. I am a pretty good judge of a fisherman on wether he knows what he is doing or not. I think that most ice fisherman are pretty good about these things. However, I do not put too much stock into reports. With my experience, It is allways YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN HERE YESTERDAY.
  I take a little from each report and take a wild guess of something in the middle.
 NOW, when it comes to early steelhead reports on fishere.com. I believe NOTHING. I have been in a spot all day when minimum fish were caught. only to come home and see reports of somebodt catching 20-30 fish. This I believe is friends of local business owners trying to get the mad rush started. Its all about $$$$$.
Other times I have been to a spot when myself and others caught many fish and then post that the bite was slow. I believe these guys don't want their spots over run.

So when it comes to reports. Its just like actual fishing. TAKE ONLY WHAT YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN USE. PUT THE REST BACK

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2014, 05:32 PM »
I definitely remember the fish i caught were a lot bigger than the pictures
Must be the camera lens that shrunk them
and the way I have been catching fish this year nobody would want to listen to anything i would suggest

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Fisherie.com...don't even get me started!  That site is notorious for inflated reports!  I lived in the Erie area for nearly 12 years and some years fished those creeks 5-6 days a week for months on end.  Would follow those boards and hear how the fish were stacked in a hole and know damn well that wasn't the case cause I was there.  The only thing I consider now is calling one of the local bait shops up there to get a water level & water color report and checking it against the USGS website. 

Offline ECIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2014, 07:22 PM »
Most reports on here are pretty good.  I understand and don't expect people to go and list their exact location of where they were catching.  I do agree with you guys about the FishErie reports though.  Steelhead fishing being my second favorite behind ice fishing, I spend a lot of fall weekends in Erie.  I do the same and always watch the water level sites and call the bait shops.

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I post truthfully and I expect others would do the same.  I think most of the ice fishing community is pretty open and truthful when posting info. Besides why not tell it like it is, the lakes I go have a lot of people ice fishing so it’s not too hard to see where everyone fishes and who’s having a good or bad day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.